Does anybody else hate DPM ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Paul, I've reached a point in life where I am happy with my 'self image' in every way and don't give a toss what anyone else thinks regarding clothes or anything else about me for that matter, they don't count, any issues they have are their problems. When you are happy with yourself use what you want, everyone else's view is not important.

DPM is fine.

Well said that man.

I have a cammo jacket with bulging pockets but I can't remember the last time I wore it, however the dutch heavy canvas cammo over trousers are really heavy duty and are great for wading through waist high stinging nettles without so much as a tingle.

Not so happy about pouches and kit etc having DPM, but if that's all they have then I'll buy it. I did buy a self inflating mattress the other month (which leaked) that was in French dpm with a matching stuff bag. I thought that was a bit extreme. When I see cammo torches and cigerette lighters I just wince. Those I think are naff. Just my personal opinion though.

When in the woods I'd much rather were earthy colours than anything else though. Doesn't make me feel tactical, just blending in with the surroundings.

I'd laugh by guts up if I saw someone wearing a gilly suit in Tesco's because they thought they looked cool.

Just as an aside I painted my motorbike in urban DPM. It's that juxtaposition that I like about it... and it gets attention too.

GPz600R-left.jpg

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Life to short to worry about what people wear for there hobby ,
If it works use it , not everyone can effort to mince about in a swazi tahr .
Beside that my waterproof works very well when needed
DSC04025.jpg

Twodogs

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not my favourite - I try and avoid wearing it myself - but day-glo has even less of a place in my heart for outdoorwear..... there are too many people around as it is and I do not want to see them all from 6 miles away!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I had my fair share of camo-gear and did wear it, too. Couldn't afford much else anyway.
Nowadays I am going for greens and browns more and more, which still means the occassional military pants, boots and jackets, though. Does it make me look like a soldier? Don't know, but I do get mistaken for a gamewarden/parkranger from time to time... LOL

I don't hate camouflage, just seem to have grown out of it.

Same goes for artificial fabrics and materials, which I replace by leather, wool and canvas....

You could say I'm in a transitional fase. ;)

@ Biker; did you forget the bottom half of your bike or did you run out of paint?? ;)
Great looking ride!!

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Gearfrom the surplus store is cheap and hard wearing, it was designed for scrawling around in the mud and such which is what we do, i think if i had the money i'd scrawl around in craghoppers kiwis and berghaus jacket, but i don't. I wasn't in the army, nor would i like to be in the army, i have huge respect for those in it and have no desire to make others think i am in the army, i just spend my money on cheap hardwearing gear.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Gearfrom the surplus store is cheap and hard wearing, it was designed for scrawling around in the mud and such which is what we do, i think if i had the money i'd scrawl around in craghoppers kiwis and berghaus jacket, but i don't. I wasn't in the army, nor would i like to be in the army, i have huge respect for those in it and have no desire to make others think i am in the army, i just spend my money on cheap hardwearing gear.

spot on the money there my man. can't all afford that swandri stuff ;-)

May 18, 2011
Scotland
I am okay with it.

I have a British army PLCE bergan in DPM which i bought because it was cheap, hard wearing and huge. These were the specs i was after.

I also have a pair of DPM combat trousers which i was given by a friend. They are hard wearing and have good pockets and they fit. If the s*!t fits wear it.

However i would use both together as personally i was never in the army so i don't wan't people people thinking i am, i have too much respect for those who are. That's just my opinion though.

I do have military gear though but it's not DPM.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I was never in the army and so avoid wearing it. Yes, the jackets and trousers are comfy, inexpensive and are littered with useful pockets but I have found, when trying them on, that the stuff is pretty heavy and doesn't actually fit me that well. Inevitably, the tendency is to wear muted, often green, colours for bushcraft so you can't avoid looking slightly military but, out of respect to the superb, brave professionals who wear DPM for their work, I wouldn't wish to offend them by wearing it for my hobby. Shades of green - absolutely; DPM (or any other camouflage for that matter) - never.

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Would it offend? Im sure that wearing a pair of surplus cargo trousers holds no pretenses at all. If it does, why? I agree tossers walking arond walking and talking to give the impression they have served whilst others put lives on the line are unwanted, the same with any faker, but again the surplus gear is great for what we do. Especially when their are mouths to feed and daddys hobbies are not high on the family funds list!!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Hopefully as the new personal clothing system (MTP) becomes standard issue, the price of DPM plummets to reasonable prices.

Wearing issue clothes hails back to post war 50s, when workers slipped into battledress as it was comfortable to wear at work.

The softy jacket Vs the wooly pully is a hard choice for walking the dog though.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
the older i get, the less i judge. wear what you like, can afford, or best suits your needs. its really of no significance at all.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
at the end of the day folks it does not matter, i was in the army but stoped wearing dpm for scrafting for no other reasen than i could find better kit when i could afford it.i cannot see any point of people using webbing,but have no gripes about them using a dpm bergan . plus. how about people getting the lattest bits mr mears has..r they trying to be him. no grief just my thoughts.............[do love my arctic windproof though]

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I don't wear DPM clothing but i do have a dpm rucksack, basha and military poncho, firstly because they were designed for the army but secondly because if their good enough for the army their good enough for me
I've never owned any dpm clothing but if someone wears it i couldn't care less, clothes to me if your out in the wild are to keep you warm :)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Odd thing - I'd feel a king-size nugget of the highest order wearing a Tilley hat, for example, but that's just because I am not a hat person in general. I have nothing against those who do wear one, and I like to think that others will exercise the same attitude towards my own clothing, whatever it may be.

Bottom line, if I happen to be wearing cammo and it bothers you, you reserve the right to not look or distance yourself.

More fool you (meant generally) to anyone who chooses to judge me if I happen to wear cammo clothing for any outdoor activities.

Reasons for cammo ?

Usually because they are relatively inexpensive, hardwearing, they tend to dry quickly, have lot of useful pockets, and nobody cares if they wreck them because they are easily and cheaply replaced.

There are places in the world where I have gone out of my way to avoid any clothing or kit with a military look because it was prudent to do so. Ironically olive green is best avoided in some of those countries too, so the typical bushcraft uniform we are seeing more of these days could easily fall under scrutiny in certain circumstances.

I doubt the shelters I build, the fires I light, the fish I catch or the game I hunt gives a flying fig what clothes I wear on the day. I don't either, and if it doesn't matter to me I wonder if anyone thinks I would care a hoot if it mattered to them.

Sometimes I wear cammo, sometimes I don't. Sometimes Ventile, sometimes army issue windproof smock (great bit of kit), sometimes...

I feel no reason to defend or apologise for cammo, and I'd be astonished if it genuinely bothered anyone enough to cause an issue. If it does, everyone reserves the right to leave the warmth of my campfire and make their own or find another closer to their liking.

A mate of mine is one of the most skilled outdoorsmen I have ever met - he is one of those rare individuals who could walk into the woods with little more than the clothes on his back and come out months later looking well-fed and satisfied. He often wears cammo, for some of the reasons I mentioned above, but mainly due to funds - he sees no reason for expensive brands, and his skills speak volumes.

As long as folks are out and about and enjoying their chosen activity safely, I don't care a jot what they wear, provided they extend me the same courtesy.

Bushcraft needs no fashion police or dress code - if it did, ought we not to be looking more at brain tanned buckskins, sinew thread, moccasin-style footwear and so on which, if I am not mistaken, is a lot more related to the roots of our area of interest that anything olive green with a brand name on it.

I'll get my (Ventile, Paramo, Gore-Tex, Belstaff, Barbour or cammo) coat :)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
don't hate it, or mind people wearing it. But I personally wouldn't choose to wear it. I don't really have the need to hide or blend in that much to be honest. However, I can see it's uses in something like hunting, but that's not something I do.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Main reason I wear DPM is because I'm a poor student and want to be able to enjoy our shared interest - an interest that at it's heart is about spending less on man-made equipment - without becoming bankrupt at the same time. I got a DPM field jacket for about a tenner. It keeps me warm, I don't mind if it gets muddy or shabby from too many bramble-thorns so why should I bother spending £50+ on a jacket that is most likely going to do a similar job but will cost another £50+ every time I snag it on a thorn?

There are far too many people in the outdoor-pursuits world who are overly concerned with what they are wearing rather than just being outside and enjoying themselves; and worrying whether they are wearing enough of the latest fabric to be considered a bushcrafter :rolleyes: One of the best kayakers I know paddles an ancient, heavy boat that I would have trouble keeping in a straight line but he uses the thing like a modern playboat! Is he bothered about it? No. Can he do everything that everyone else is doing? Yes, and a lot better than the guy I know who owns a canoeing shop and always has the latest boat ;)

I prefer to wear something like a plain olive rather than an actual camo just because I like the way it looks but the only reason I can see for not wearing camo is if you either simply don't like the look of it or if it will put you at some kind of risk: eg. in a city where it will attract a lot of attention esp. at night or in a country where rogue militia are a problem and you may be mistaken for the wrong kind of person.

Last edited:

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I think you can look like a bit of a tit if your top to toe cammo and not actually in the forces, however I wear issue gear which tends to be cammo, the reason is the same as many have said before, cost! if this kit is bought by the British government to kit out our troops the chances are it will be perfect for the job and designed for the exact purpose. the fact you can get it so cheap just means that many of us end up kitted out in cammo when we really should be in bright colours should we get lost in the wilderness or come a cropper with an axe and need rescue, IMHO cammo is fine if that's what suits you be it budget reason or not, I would rather not look like I'm off hunting but issue cammo gear is the best kit I can buy for my budget 9 times out of 10.

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
This subject came up in a conversation with my mate's lad who is an officer in the Army . To quote him." I don't understand the fashion for military gear on the streets .When I'm off duty I can't wait to get out of the ****ing stuff!.".

As an ex gamekeeper and now a pest controller I realised a long time ago that DPM was designed to fool the human eye not that of animals .

That said Most of my wardrobe is in varying shades of military green simply because working outside in all weathers and crawling through thorn patches and over fence wire destroys clothing at an alarming rate . I can pick up army surplus gear at boot sales and shows very cheaply , wear it into the ground ,built a fire under its belly to get it up ,patch it and wear it to death

Out in the field Ill pull on whatever is comfortable and right for the job with no regard for appearance .Though I do think full cammo gear for a mole catcher is a bit redundent for obvious reasons .

On more casual occasions I make a positive effort not to combine more than two big items of DPM . I'm trying to wean myself off it. "My name is GW and I'm a DPMaholic ".

The hard-shell survivalist image may be passably acceptable in a secret hold-out in the Appalachian Mountains but perusing the aisles of Wilkinson's or Poundland in gentile West Sussex it just makes me look like a scruffy middle-aged dork !.

Then again ,if the cap fits :).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE