DoctorSpoon & Rosco collaboration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've been meaning to make a long handled ladle to use with my big soup pan I feed people from when we run courses. After our last course, John - Rosco on here - gave me one he had made a while back (well we swapped it for a knife). By his own admission it needed a bit more work, but in reality it was not a huge amount. I just hollowed the bowl a bit more, got rid of the sanded surface and tweaked the handle profile a little. It looks very fine don't you think ....
IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

It's made from a naturally curved piece of whitebeam which takes a lovely finish off the tool, but was rock hard working it dry!
Nicola
PS sorry about the enormous pictures ... Robin's photobucket :rolleyes:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been meaning to make a long handled ladle to use with my big soup pan I feed people from when we run courses. After our last course, John - Rosco on here - gave me one he had made a while back (well we swapped it for a knife). By his own admission it needed a bit more work, but in reality it was not a huge amount. I just hollowed the bowl a bit more, got rid of the sanded surface and tweaked the handle profile a little. It looks very fine don't you think ....
It's made from a naturally curved piece of whitebeam which takes a lovely finish off the tool, but was rock hard working it dry!
Nicola
PS sorry about the enormous pictures ... Robin's photobucket :rolleyes:
I think it's great, finish it off with a quick sand down with some wet and dry and it'll be perfect:lmao:

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Wow are you sure it's the same ladle! Sure do aspire to your finishing work Nicola, though I reckon I've come on leaps and bounds since the last course; thanks in no small part to your input and the said knife- a Del Stubbs. It really is the business for finishing and will hopefully consign the sandpaper to the joinery workshop.
John

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I should have taken some pictures before I started Dan, but I didn't. Anyway, I found these ones of John's which show it reasonably well:
johnm6.jpg

johnm4.jpg

What made the main difference to me was putting a flat face on the top of the rim and down the sides of the handle. These had become rounded by being sanded so you really couldn't see the shape of the spoon. By making them flat, you define the shape and can see the lines.
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE