Bushcraft & disability - disabled bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paeppchen

Apr 12, 2019
Huntly
Hi Guys,
I'm disabled and I want to get out there and do some bushcraft. I don't know if you know disabled bushcrafters, but I hope to meet some more of them and get tips.
Because I'm not very mobile I need to use a scooter to get around and I actually have a trailer for it.
So the wife and I will set out tomorrow for our first adventure in the scottish forrests. I bought some gear and we will have a nice soup made over a mobile firepit and try a bit of foraging (only the things we know - naturally) and hope to get on with hanging a tarp and hammock and haveing coffee, tea and most of all a good time.Love
Paeppchen

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Good on you mate. I'm registered with disabilities and it can be darned frustrating at times carrying on with my hobbies but where there is a will there is a way. You are lucky to have a partner and car neither of which I have so if I can get out there so can you. I wish you the best adventures. Let us know how you get on., and how you iron out your wrinkles. For me I've gone from ground dwelling to hammocks just to keep on doing what I love. All my gear goes into a shopping trolly rather than a rucksack. All I have to sort out is how to raise my woodfire off the ground... or how to get up again!

Reactions: zornt

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Once you have gained access to somewhere to camp Paeppchen, there is not much that you won't be able to do Bush Craft related. You already have the most important ingredient..the determination to do it..You will find that you can achieve a lot around camp without being fully mobile. Hope the weather holds good for you, let us know how your first trip goes.. :thumbsup:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Respect to you, go and have a nice time you and the missus, hope the weather stays calm, Enjoy, and let us all know how you got on,

Reactions: zornt

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Good for you mate.

I have 2 fused ankles, chronic pain, arthritis and a blood disorder so am registered disabled - I am also waiting for an op to try and sort my leg out. I get out and about but have to spend long periods sitting and I fall over now and again and often have to write off the following day!
Main thing is just get out and give it ago, nothing to stop you enjoying the outdoors and I am sure many would help you if needed :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Because I'm not very mobile I need to use a scooter to get around and I actually have a trailer for it.

I have adapted a two seater road legal quad for similar purpose.
ATV-PICTURES-2013-Can-Am-Outlander-MAX-DPS-500-2.jpg

Can am Outlander. The current models have power assisted steering also. The downside, unfortunately, is the cost.

Reactions: Erbswurst
I think the best advise is to try a buddy up with fellow physically fit bush crafters and work as a group ,
don't try the go it alone method as you may just get yourself into a whole heap of sh*t ,
and don't use Janne's advice !
Farm or land owners will not want to be responsible for lone disabled people or groups on there property unless they have able bodied people with them.

Reactions: birchwood

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mph. Try having something wrong in your head.

Most people are only interested in the obviously disabled.

Paeppchen, you ought to come to the Bushmoot; disabled facilities there and lots of folk to help.

Reactions: MrEd

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Paeppchen
I am sure that you are well aware of your capabilities so you know what you can and what you can't do, having to use a scooter will restrict you in some ways but there are lots of good pathways you could follow, the only thing to check on is the weather as it can suddenly become a bit hostile up in Scotland, depending on what side you are on, luckily you have your wife along with you so I am sure you will have a good time, make sure you report back here with some pics if poss, looking forward to hearing how thing go.
It may be worth having a look at this site, although basically a rambling site, they may have hints and locations that are suitable for you,
www.disabilityscot.org.uk/info-guides/walking-groups/

Reactions: Toddy

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Slightly off point but proof that with the right attitude (and admittedly a fair bit of money and kit), even the most serious disabilities need not be a barrier to adventure.

A few years ago, I had the privilege of meeting this guy who had been in a wheelchair since breaking his neck playing rugby aged 19 but nevertheless drove the length of Africa with his wife in a Land Rover adapted as a camper modified to match his needs.

http://www.africa-overland.net/Bio-216-Harris.GB.net

https://www.uk-wheelchairs.co.uk/blog/brave-wheelchair-user-embarks-on-trans-africa-expedition/

Sadly, his blog has disappeared into the aether but was pretty inspirational.

Good luck and keep us updated with your new adventures. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
and don't use Janne's advice !
Farm or land owners will not want to be responsible for lone disabled people or groups on there property unless they have able bodied people with them.

I assume then you advocate he does not ask, and does it illegally?
Also, read his first post. He will take his wife with him.

From my experience, asking is the only way to go. Doing illegal crap only damages our reputation.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I assume then you advocate he does not ask, and does it illegally?
Also, read his first post. He will take his wife with him.

From my experience, asking is the only way to go. Doing illegal crap only damages our reputation.

Reading the OP's first post indicates that the OP is enjoying the Scottish woodlands, therefore there is no need to ask, as nothing illegal is being done.

Reactions: MrEd

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
All the same it is nice to ask permission to walk over some ones land, even if you have a right to, and after all it could lead to being asked in for a cuppa.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
All the same it is nice to ask permission to walk over some ones land, even if you have a right to, and after all it could lead to being asked in for a cuppa.

It could also lead to a rather nasty response (and I speak from more than one experience). There is a saying, "The wee Laird is worse than the Laird himself". Which roughly translates to; the land owners jobsworth often takes the law into their own hands. I tend to go about my business with courtesy, and let sleeping dogs lie. The only time I do contact land owners, is during the shooting season.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Yes I agree, but this is the OP's first venture out into the Forests of Bonny Scotland, and he may not be fully aware of the goings on in the vicinity where he was going, better safe than sorry, no point in putting yourself in danger through ignorance, always better to ask and make sure, and if this means asking if it's ok to cross a certain piece of land I don't see the problem with that, he may find that folk will be helpful and point out dangers that are not likely to be seen beforehand, especially as he will be in a mobility scooter, and carrying a load of gear.

Reactions: tankie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE