Doc Marten boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Doc Martens, but I've never had any of that brand. They seem to be relatively popular, but are they hard-wearing?

Right now I wear Army surplus boots, I've had them for several years (at least 3, maybe 4) and they're still going strong but they could be better. If Doc Martens are comparable, as far as hardiness goes, I'll probably give them a go. Comfort would be nice too! Opinions?

Cheers
Pete

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Pete,

Doc Martens are very hard wearing. Before the became the (temporary) de facto uniform of dot-commers and hipsters, they were work boots.

Although I'm all about barefeet now, Doc Marten's and Redwings are two great workboots (Redwings are the bomb, but they're crazy expensive.)

Doc martins were never great work boots outside of the concrete, with "airwear" soles they were suceptable to punctures and deflations caused by nails, glass etc and try them on wet grass and you'll be on your bottom...:lmao: They offer no support when the floppy uppers get wet so tbh useless for the great outdoors but if you are a driver, a delivery person, posty etc they would be great.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Slight hijack.............great, once they've been broken in :rolleyes: :headbang: , for streets, pubs and clubs, miserable on wet grass or hills........anyone want a dark green pair size 4, worn once ?.....just too damned hard. Stick to your army surplus I reckon.

cheers,
Toddy

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
DMs for pubbing-clubbing. If you want some high street brands with better grip go for Cats or hi-tec Magnums.
Tactical 5.11s are good, I wear them every day. Not through choice though!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
we always used to get them as kids for school. we'd go through the soles in about 6 months. Thats on the outside and inside, they're like walking on cheese graters.

They're very cool if you're watching Rage Against the Machine at the Barrowlands but utter mince if you want to head up the hills.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Sounds like a no then :D Shame, as they're the only boots I've found that i liked the look of for £50 :( Very tight budget for boots, I know! Most look over designed to me..

Pete

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
check out TK Maxx, they sometimes have good deals on leather walking books heading into the winter.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
When I was young they lasted me about 5-6 months daily wear.

Kept splitting between sole and uppers iirc.

Only last one night if you sit by the fire with soles facing same though:rolleyes:

When I say daily wear I mean that,work,rest and play and plenty gigs.

I gave them up when I discovered Zamberlan.Scarpa etc when I could afford them.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
check out TK Maxx, they sometimes have good deals on leather walking books heading into the winter.

Probably will do.

I'm thinking of trying Caterpillar instead. Are they of consistantly good quality? A big issue I'm having is finding boots that aren't overly padded - I really don't like padded boots, it's just something else to get wet and stay wet, and they got too hot! And, dare I say, I don't like them being that comfortable! It makes me uncomfortable, in my trademarkedly awkward way.

Pete

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Rockport are a good town/country brand.

The likes of Caterpillar depends if the tongue of the boot is sewn up near the top of the lacing I think.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
DMs for pubbing-clubbing. If you want some high street brands with better grip go for Cats or hi-tec Magnums.
Tactical 5.11s are good, I wear them every day. Not through choice though!

I would suggest against magnums, especially any model involving a side zip.
I had a pair of 8" side zip magnum boots, which I planned to use as every day footwear (mainly bimbling about to/around/from collage) I think they where called "response side zip"
on the first pair the leather bubbled within a few weeks.
the second pair the zip failed on the right hand boot within a week or so
the third pair also failed, after only a couple of days use (although admittedly I was using them for walking in the lake district, but it wasn't difficult ground, just plodding along the path, in the flamming wind and the snow)

I have since had a pair of hi-tec trainers where the insole became loose within a few days (again of general, non taxing use) and had to be returned. so I unfortueneately no longer trust anything by that particular company

on the other hand, it could just be I've been unlucky, I have noticed that they seem to have discontinued the boots I had, and certainly the non-side zip models won't suffer from the same weakness.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
If you can find them, U.S. Army boots are quite comfortable. Look for the so-called "Panama" sole. It does not clog up with mud nearly like the Vibram sole on many brands of boots.

There is, or was, a USAF version with a speed lace that was very clever and worked well and did not come loose. I love my pair, except the damn things "squeak" when I walk. and I have been unable to stop it.

Dogwood says Redwings are "da bomb", and he is right, I had a pair that lasted me almost twenty years and I wore them A LOT. Unfortunately, they eventually died and I haven't replaced them. Didn't know they had went out of sight in price.

Nearly forgot to mention, my favorite boot has been the Browning kangaroo leather, lightweight boot. This boot is so light, you can't believe it, yet it is very comfortable and durable. They are expensive, but if you can afford them, they are fantastic in my book.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I just found a pair of Chameau boots in TK Max.

I have not given them much of a test yet but they certainly feel comfortable and look pretty solid.

Cheers,
Steve

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Pete, I've a pair of plain brown leather CATs size 8 worn 4/5 times you can have if you want. Also a pair of the tan suede jobs worn for a weekend in Gothenburg.Can't get on with em - Timberlands for me!!! Let me know.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
had loads of pairs of docs when i were a lad (keep in with the crowd, looked good etc!)
absolute rubbish imo.
soles wore out far too quick, leather cracked at foot bend, stitching came out.
when I saw the price of them in a shop recently I had a right good laugh.
Try m and m's on the web for 5.11 boots. I got a pair the other week for £25 and you would still pay £79 from polimil etc.

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Don't buy DM, since they have moved to China, the leather is not that good anymore... They do offer a British made boot but it costs lot more (and is made in the Solovair factory, which is the exact same boot, but cheaper).

In short: look for Solovair/NPC boots if you want the good old Doc Martens quality of the old days.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Rockport are a good town/country brand.

The likes of Caterpillar depends if the tongue of the boot is sewn up near the top of the lacing I think.
How do you mean mate, that they're better if not sewn up or better if they are? Rockports don't really do anything for me, but thanks for the suggestion!

I would suggest against magnums, especially any model involving a side zip.
I had a pair of 8" side zip magnum boots, which I planned to use as every day footwear (mainly bimbling about to/around/from collage) I think they where called "response side zip"
on the first pair the leather bubbled within a few weeks.
the second pair the zip failed on the right hand boot within a week or so
the third pair also failed, after only a couple of days use (although admittedly I was using them for walking in the lake district, but it wasn't difficult ground, just plodding along the path, in the flamming wind and the snow)

I have since had a pair of hi-tec trainers where the insole became loose within a few days (again of general, non taxing use) and had to be returned. so I unfortueneately no longer trust anything by that particular company

on the other hand, it could just be I've been unlucky, I have noticed that they seem to have discontinued the boots I had, and certainly the non-side zip models won't suffer from the same weakness.
Ahh I hate zips :banghead: The bane of my existance!

If you can find them, U.S. Army boots are quite comfortable. Look for the so-called "Panama" sole. It does not clog up with mud nearly like the Vibram sole on many brands of boots.

There is, or was, a USAF version with a speed lace that was very clever and worked well and did not come loose. I love my pair, except the damn things "squeak" when I walk. and I have been unable to stop it.

Dogwood says Redwings are "da bomb", and he is right, I had a pair that lasted me almost twenty years and I wore them A LOT. Unfortunately, they eventually died and I haven't replaced them. Didn't know they had went out of sight in price.

Nearly forgot to mention, my favorite boot has been the Browning kangaroo leather, lightweight boot. This boot is so light, you can't believe it, yet it is very comfortable and durable. They are expensive, but if you can afford them, they are fantastic in my book.
I THINK my army boots are US ones, most of the other surplus the guy sold was - can't be sure though, no markings. That roo leather boot looks great! I wish I could afford a pair!

Pete, I've a pair of plain brown leather CATs size 8 worn 4/5 times you can have if you want. Also a pair of the tan suede jobs worn for a weekend in Gothenburg.Can't get on with em - Timberlands for me!!! Let me know.
Cheers for the offer mate! Size eleven for me though mate!

had loads of pairs of docs when i were a lad (keep in with the crowd, looked good etc!)
absolute rubbish imo.
soles wore out far too quick, leather cracked at foot bend, stitching came out.
when I saw the price of them in a shop recently I had a right good laugh.
Try m and m's on the web for 5.11 boots. I got a pair the other week for £25 and you would still pay £79 from polimil etc.
Tbh the 5.11s look a bit over designed to me, I tend to go for the simpler stuff. Less bits for me to break! They look a bit too comfy too...

US Army Gortex lined leather high boots, very very good indeed.
Those look rather nice! Again though, I just can't get along with linings and paddings :(

Don't buy DM, since they have moved to China, the leather is not that good anymore... They do offer a British made boot but it costs lot more (and is made in the Solovair factory, which is the exact same boot, but cheaper).

In short: look for Solovair/NPC boots if you want the good old Doc Martens quality of the old days.
Solovair have some pretty nice lookin boots! Do they have the same sole problems as the DMs though, I wonder?

I wore Dickies for years in work & good for a bit of hillwalking, very comfortable & hardwearing. Look pretty good & not expensive.

Calc
Do they do anything other than safety boots? It's all I can see on their site, and that usually just means unnecessary weight to me...

I never realised how picky I was :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE