Do you think in Metric or Imperial ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Metric or Imperial

• I think in Metric, cms and kilos

Votes: 41 20.7%
  • I think in Imperial, inches and pounds

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I can change easily between Metric and Imperial

Votes: 124 62.6%
  • I can't convert the different measurements easily

Votes: 28 14.1%

• Total voters

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
The UK went metric in 1972, I think 36 years is long enough for the change over.

It's a messed up system when you buy fuel in Ltr, and think of milage in mpg. Or food in gramms but your body weight in stone, tyres in inch diameter and mm width.

Interestingly though the distance signs for juncions on many roads in Belgium are 1600m 800m and 400m or 1 mile, 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile. And trains pass on the left as they should.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The UK went metric in 1972, I think 36 years is long enough for the change over.

It's a messed up system when you buy fuel in Ltr, and think of milage in mpg. Or food in gramms but your body weight in stone, tyres in inch diameter and mm width.

Interestingly though the distance signs for juncions on many roads in Belgium are 1600m 800m and 400m or 1 mile, 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile. And trains pass on the left as they should.

It might be if you're 36 but I was educated in both because the change over happened while I was at school.

I think in both systems, my mum thinks imperial and my brothers kids think in Metric.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Inches and feet for small distances, metres for longer distances, miles for long distance and acres for large areas. I grew up on the cusp of the change over, so not many converted to metric straight away (still haven't)

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
I'm always doing that.

I use whichever graduation on the rule is nearest the size I want.

Does some peoples head in though. :nono:

I used to work with an older electrician who would say " cut that to 24 inches and 6mm" instead of 24 1/4 inches.
Used to do my head in.

Saying that i can work in both easily although i always walk in Km's

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
that poor bloke in sunderland must be turning in his grave he got prosecuted for flogging banana,s in pounds but kept fighting theres still a long way to go and I doubt if we,ll ever fully go metric, anyway I,m just nipping into the garden for half a dozen eggs,here chook chooks

that poor bloke in sunderland must be turning in his grave he got prosecuted for flogging banana,s in pounds but kept fighting theres still a long way to go and I doubt if we,ll ever fully go metric, anyway I,m just nipping into the garden for half a dozen eggs,here chook chooks
Surely that should be 1.2 deca egs?

British Red said:
Hell I even know the origins of the phrase - I eve tried it once but couldn't calibrate the knot distance properly. Its only a measure of speed through the water in original form - not speed over the earth too........

but thats another story!
Ain't that where a "log" gets its name from? Not ships log, but the thingymabob for measuring water speed on modern boats where not using GPS.for SOG.

EDIT - this might intrest you (and it is still related to Nautical Miles ;) )
From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_log
Initially, the log-line was not knotted and the length was measured directly on the line. With the introduction of the nautical mile as a standard unit of measure at sea in the 15th century, the line began to be marked at equal intervals proportional to the nautical mile and to the time interval used for measurement. Initially, the markings were in the form of knots in the line. Later, knotted cords were worked into the log-line.

Originally, the distance between marks was 7 fathoms or 42 feet used with a sandglass with a 30 second running time. Later refinements in the length of the nautical mile caused the distance between knots to be changed. Eventually, the distance was set to 47 feet, 3 inches (14.4 meters) for a standard glass of 28 seconds.
That might help your calibration.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Personal I use usually Imperial, professionally Metric, though I can and do switch all the time!

Mang

Settler
We where given a load of jobs at work recently and a younger college muttered 'Yeah, and we can stick a broom up our ***** and sweep the floor'. I replied that this was impossible for me as I am an imperial fitting (being 41) and that the work brooms are metric.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Surely that should be 1.2 deca egs?

Ain't that where a "log" gets its name from? Not ships log, but the thingymabob for measuring water speed on modern boats where not using GPS.for SOG.

EDIT - this might intrest you (and it is still related to Nautical Miles ;) )
From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_log

That might help your calibration.

Stunning.

The world might be a simpler place without such information, but, to this crusty old man, it will be a poorer one.

A group of skylarks is just that - but "an exaltation of skylarks" is both more evocative and just as meaningful to me. I know collective nouns is not the same as units of measure but perhaps it is...a methusalah of champagne or a hogshead of mead have soul and history in my mind.

Everything can be boiled down to numbers but there is some truth perhaps that it is possible to understand "the cost of everything and the value of nothing":(

Red

pwb

I was taught in metric and use both at work.
Metric is used for things like plumbing pipes, rolls of wire etc.
In the saw mill it's mostly imperial. Interestingly the saw, which is under seven years old,is graduated in inches.

Pete.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Im a land surveyor by trade so measuring is my job and although its all carried out in metric when getting other people the adjust things the inch is a great measurement, it amazing how many measurement easily break down to the inch, njust easier than saying 25mm. KM are orid though the mile is much easier to get you head arround. So i like using both

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm comfortable in both tbh, rough measurements mind so i'll think of an inch as 2.54cm and a yard as a meter or so. acre's and hectares throw me tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE