Do you think in Metric or Imperial ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Metric or Imperial

• I think in Metric, cms and kilos

Votes: 41 20.7%
  • I think in Imperial, inches and pounds

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I can change easily between Metric and Imperial

Votes: 124 62.6%
  • I can't convert the different measurements easily

Votes: 28 14.1%

• Total voters

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Speaking of beer....

How many cans in a crate?

Carling comes in 'packs' of 4 or 6, or 'crates' of 8,10,12,15,18,20 or 24.

And then there are 3 sizes of can, and a few sizes of bottle.

(Off to drink a crate, may be some time).

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Am fairly good at converting them from one to another as plywood comes on 8'x4' (2440x1220) sheets and plasterboard comes in 2400 x1200 sheets.

Doors are usually in feet and inches and even when they are not its usually just a imperial measurement converted into mms.

A good way to spot a chancer on a building site is when they start using cm's as they should get it drummed out of them at college.
Centimeters are for teachers to use as just about everywhere I have worked has never used them, they help kids grasp the decimal system and thats about the only usefull purpose they have.

Feet and inches? OK, Milimeters and meters? Fine again.

Centimeters? This apprentice could do with being sent to stores for a long stand.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I work in both (and it drives swmbo mad! :D)

I also am quite happy to mix and match ine the same measurement:eek: (which she hates even more...)

sometimes it just works better in on than the other and a measurement is easy, whatever goes I say;)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i think in both but am better in metric. imperial just seems overly complicated, i would hate to use the old maps in 1:36360 scale:eek: but if someone asked me how far iv walked i gess in miles. my boss isnt very happy when he asked for 8inch logs and he gets 9 inchers:rolleyes:

pete

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I was trained to work in both when an engineer so we could talk to americans through drawings. I find it easyer for larger measurements in imperial using inches, and mm handy for the small stuff. plus the everyday talk is half and half anyway miles, pints, decimal coin, litres.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having spent formative years in the US, then taken an engineering degree, then wound up in aerospace, I am properly messed up as far as units go, or fully conversant, whichever you prefer :p

Traveling distance = Miles. km is meaningless
Shooting distance = Yards, m okay, but my mental range finder works better in yards
Height of people = Feet and inches.
Crafting distance rough = Inches, for knives, bows, bowls, whatever
Crafting fine = mm smaller scale on the ruler
Volume = UK Gallons, Litres, US cups and spoons :p

Temperature (weather) = degF can't convert in my head to C other than "cold", "cool", and "hot".

Weight of people = pounds...who on earth thought that clumping something into lumps of 14 made sense?!?

Temperature, weight, length etc for calculations = metric, nice easy SI units, none of this poxy including of 6 figure factors to go from one unit to another, as you do in imperial.

Engineering measurments = either, gotta use both since all the old codgers and drawings use inches and thou and all the new drawings are in mm.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
God is 6 foot tall and lives 14 miles away. He speaks English (well he would being from Hampshire). He plays cricket and rugby by season and drinks real ale in pints from the wood. Glasses do not have handles and pint tankards are only made in pewter. He measures his weight in stone and his his milk delivered in glass bottles by the pint on the doorstep. Bread comes in 1 and 2 pound loaves. Sweets are bought by the quarter (lb) and horse races are measured in furlongs. Nautical distance is measured only in knots.

If anyone cares to dispute this they must pay a fine of a guinea.

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
weights - imperial
distance - imperial
drinks - imperial
small measurements - metres and centimetres (that was the rulers we had at school)

temperature - celcius for cold weather, because it makes it sound colder farinheit for warm weather...because it makes it sound warmer :)

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
There's an option missing that I'd need.

When it comes to people I think in feet and inches for height and stones for weight (I even struggle with pounds in weight) - metric confuses me there.

When it's distances along the ground I think in meters for a while then miles when it gets longer.
I can picture an Acre quite easilly by a Hectare might as well be a number of grains of rice to me. It's ANYONE'S guess how big one of those things is. I suspect noone knows what a hectare is and that it's only used to make big things seem smaller.

Weights of ingredients are always in grams and kilograms.

Volumes are all metric except for fuel (miles per gallon) and milk or beer which are both always pints or halves - even when I'm in Europe.

Temperature is in Celsius.

I work in milimeters and meters (drawings for loft conversions and beam calculations respectively)

Changing between them doesn't come easilly to me.
I know it's roughly km/8x5=miles and miles/5x8=km. And I know it's 25.4mm to an inch. I need to figure it out for each one though.

I suppose its a case of having to use both as we don,t seen to be able to let go,even our kids think in miles allthough most younguns measure metric! but drink in pints!,me i,m both being a mechanic I don,t have much option than to swing both way,s! Oh there,s just under 2 and a half acres to the hectare(10,000 square m,s):drive:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
God is 6 foot tall and lives 14 miles away. He speaks English (well he would being from Hampshire). He plays cricket and rugby by season and drinks real ale in pints from the wood. Glasses do not have handles and pint tankards are only made in pewter. He measures his weight in stone and his his milk delivered in glass bottles by the pint on the doorstep. Bread comes in 1 and 2 pound loaves. Sweets are bought by the quarter (lb) and horse races are measured in furlongs. Nautical distance is measured only in knots.

If anyone cares to dispute this they must pay a fine of a guinea.

Red

Almost sprayed coffee over the lap top..

God 6 feet? I thought She was about 5' 8"???

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
There's an option missing that I'd need.

When it comes to people I think in feet and inches for height and stones for weight (I even struggle with pounds in weight) - metric confuses me there.

When it's distances along the ground I think in meters for a while then miles when it gets longer.
I can picture an Acre quite easilly by a Hectare might as well be a number of grains of rice to me. It's ANYONE'S guess how big one of those things is. I suspect noone knows what a hectare is and that it's only used to make big things seem smaller.

Weights of ingredients are always in grams and kilograms.

Volumes are all metric except for fuel (miles per gallon) and milk or beer which are both always pints or halves - even when I'm in Europe.

Temperature is in Celsius.

I work in milimeters and meters (drawings for loft conversions and beam calculations respectively)

Changing between them doesn't come easilly to me.
I know it's roughly km/8x5=miles and miles/5x8=km. And I know it's 25.4mm to an inch. I need to figure it out for each one though.

I have a similar mix up. I'll add that I measure rough lengths in feet and inches, but whenever I need precision I measure in mm!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I was one of the unlucky one's i left school in 1970 all my school life i was taught imperial,so when the change over came in 71 it had me baffled and still does now,so yes i'm a feet and inch man
but i can remember when first starting work, going out on a friday night with a pound,pint of mild 1shilling and tenpence,fish and chips 2 and 6pence,10 no 6 fags 2bob and still had change from a pound after five pints,those were the days.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE