Do You Know What This Is? Bit fun for a Sunday afternoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Here's mine:

IMGP6681.jpg

IMGP6682.jpg

Not good pics as it's as black as the ace of spades here :(..........I'll be surprised if this is not remembered by folk here, as they were reasonably common on scout campsites in the 60's.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

angles are a bit different from the others, no sheath, bought it in Glasgow some years ago..

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm really glad I've dug mine out; I have it on the desk before me these past twenty four hours and it's sent me on a little wander down memory lane. I'm definitely going to bring it back into use for food, no good at all hidden away in a box all these years. Next rainy day I'll make it a jacket :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Is it an Auxiliary Unit Knife by Joseph Rodgers by any chance?

Boom Boom! I assume you are warming up for panto?

Good line. Joking aside it is very sharp.

Yes Randal's a manufacturer of custom and semi-custom knives. Particularly popular with troops in the Vietnam War.

Thanks. New to me. Will look them up.

Is the handle and scales quite flat in profile?

Yes, really quite flat

Nice, any family history to it

It came from my grandad. Apparently no AU in Berkshire so it's a bit of a mystery (did small post on it on my blog - see link)

I never knew I had an Auxilary knife when in the scouts @ 1965.

I don't think you did.

Will post blade markings later if anyone interested.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Interesting knife...I have one almost exactly the same but made by J.Nowill&sons...same jigged bone scales and Ali cross guard.Nice to hear it may have an Auxilary/HG connection.

I also own another similar but slightly bigger and with Rosewood(?) scales.

Id be interested to see the markings on yours...

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Here's the maker's mark - sorry about the quality. I'd be interested if any one knows what the asterisk and the cross means.

sdc10214-2.jpg

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
The asterisk and Maltese cross were logos used on Joseph Rodgers and Sons knives. The currently made knives still bear these symbols, the right to use this is now owned by the Eggington Ltd. If you search on British blades website there is a picture of this type of knife being sold as a hunting knife from an old catalogue.
Andy

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
This post shows a catalogue from the 1980s, but I have seen older ones.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...sting this pattern as a Bushmans Friend. Andy

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The markings originally belonged to someone else, but Joseph Rodgers kids registered it to themselves in the 18th century... thing is with your knife, that isn't exactly their mark, just a crude approximation of it.

Then again,. I'm probably doing panto so what do I know. :cool:

sncjras.jpg

Last edited:

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
I am fine thanks, as I now have a smartphone I hope to post more, after several years with no computer.

Cheers Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE