Do You Know What This Is? Bit fun for a Sunday afternoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
A bit OF fun even!

This is an old knife I inherited.

I know what it is, but do you?

sdc10184-2.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yep, the more I look at that the more convinced I am that it's a Scouting sheath knife from the early '60's, if I remember correctly the side of the blade you show had "The Bushman's Friend" engraved on it, but so lightly that it never lasted beyond the first camp before wearing off.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice.
I have the later one with the sew on sheath patch, spring clip handle catch and spooling retaining cord. Yours is very nice though I like that.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Is the handle and scales quite flat in profile?
i have a knife with scales like that ( wm rodgers) but with no crossguard, and blade is slightly different. Ill get a pic sorted.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup it's a Auxilary Unit knife,

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/edged-weapons/british-aux-unit-knife-363854/

see Also Ron Flooks seminal British And Commonwealth Militartr Knives page 229

Theres a almost identical one (see link) except the blade has been cut down made by Paulsons also of Sheffield with AU provenance. Unfortunately because of the nature of the AU there's no paper trail for them. A rare beast in deed.

it wasn't unusual for Sheffield firms to use the same stock parts but the fact that very similar knives are coming up with AU connections makes it sound like some sort of informal contract was put out based on a commercial pattern and several makers were roped in to full fill a rush order. The AU were set up years before there was FS to dish out and a civilian item would have been easier to explain away than a issue one. Not that that have done much good if the Gestapo had picked you up walking around town with it hidden in your sock...

Nice, any family history to it or did they keep schtum like most AU recruits?

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Is the handle and scales quite flat in profile?
i have a knife with scales like that ( wm rodgers) but with no crossguard, and blade is slightly different. Ill get a pic sorted.

Sounds like mine, which I dug out last night for the first time in years; except mine has rosewood scales fixed with brass pins. They are very small and boxy, I think to suit a young boys hands. I'll get a pic of mine up later when I get home, but I'd be really intrigued to see a photie of your one as well.

After a bit of reading last night, provoked by this thread, it seems that this blade pattern was very common to a lot of mid century Sheffield makers, (the blanks perhaps even coming from one place), and were handled and sheathed to be sold for many different purported purposes such as my Boy Scout knife.

With the very thin blade it struck me last night that this would make a very good knife for food prep and slicing, so I'll make a sheath for it and carry it in my cook kit for a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE