Do You Feel a Spiritual Connection with the Woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
I get those feelings when out in the woods or on the hills, it is a privilege to be out in or on them.

That said, if I walk in to a man made pine forest that feeling isn't there....

I couldn't agree more with this, was camping on the edge of a plantation earlier in the week and felt nothing, although the midgies and all the litter didn't help.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Unusual sensory bombardment can spook you, nothing to do with the Oak Spirit. That said, I've been in close contact with the spirit of Old Grand Dad, Captain Morgan and John Daniels when out in the woods.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very spiritual young man lol. I do like the peace and quiet of the woods (with radio four on in the background) but can't honestly say its a spiritual experience for me, just something different and nice.

DanRobinson1

May 8, 2012
sheffield
I'm not sure why but I quite liked that video. To my mind you have a good screen presence and a good voice ~ but you lost me a couple of times with region specific colloquialisms and 'bouncing around' on the subjects you were trying to cover :eek: .

A couple of pointers though, if I may (a daft thing to say as I'll have posted before you can respond :rolleyes: ) ...

• Have at least a basic framework of a script as this will help you keep both on tack and on track. Reiterating is a good thing, but only if you're summarising something'.
  • Work at talking toward the camera. It's easy for a viewer to lose track of what's being said and being able to see the whole of a speakers face can help convey a message more effectively as well as more efficiently.
  • Please learn and use a safe stance when sawing wood. Had you slipped and over drawn the saw its trajectory would have seen it getting very close to your right thigh.
  • Sticks, pointy or not, aren't covered by the same bit of legislation which allows the carrying of sub 3" non locking folders ~ and anything can be classed as an offensive weapon if used (or with intent to use) in an offence.
  • Please stop swinging stuff around, it's distracting and detracts from the overall feel of the video.
  • Lumping what you feel about spirituality in with knife choice and law is a bit of a stretch and the jump between the two subjects left me thinking that I'd drifted off :eek: . It's always better to have a link which moves you from this to that in a cohesive manner ~ even if it's just 'Staring into a camp fire can be very relaxing, as can sharpening knives and tools. In the UK knives are ...'.
  • You had a reasonably good split between intro (2 minutes ~ brilliant start by the way!), thoughts on spirituality (5 1/2 minutes) and knife stuff (4 1/2 minutes). But do you realise that you spent the remaining time, a quarter of the entire video, telling people to go and watch someone else? That's about equivalent to each of the subjects you were talking about :yikes: . If you want to link in to others work edit in a list of who you recommend and what their subject matter is. This will allow viewers to pause the video and make note of who you recommend viewing ~ and, because they're copying, they won't have to guess at spelling ;) .

Please don't be put off by what I've written above, had I not been impressed by what I saw I wouldn't have gone to the effort of writing things down or posting it at all.

Hi mate,

In no way will I take this the wrong way. As you mentioned, I realise that you wouldn't go to these lengths if you didn't appreciate the video. The topic itself for me was a hard one as I don't really sympathise with spirituality and religion. Hence why I struggled to look at the "viewer". Also, being new to YouTube I'm still in the stage where talking to a camera is weird. But those skills will come with time.

With different and safer techniques, because of people like you I'm changing the way I do things because when I watch back I see the errors in technique.

I really appreciate everything you've said there mate and will take it all into consideration. Thanks for watching and hopefully if you subscribe you'll see some of you teachings come to life.

To everyone else: thanks for all your comments. It's been really interesting to hear what you have to say.

I never realised there were so many pagan believers about. I thought it was a select few but am supposed to hear of several of you commenting about it. It sounds interesting and I'd love to hear more.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
To answer the topic question: Yes, very much so.
As long as I can remember I have always felt a strong spiritual connections with nature. The spiritual presence is as strong and important to me as the fysical presence, one can not exict without the other.

DanRobinson1

May 8, 2012
sheffield
Unusual sensory bombardment can spook you, nothing to do with the Oak Spirit. That said, I've been in close contact with the spirit of Old Grand Dad, Captain Morgan and John Daniels when out in the woods.

Those spirits will be sure to keep you warm without the fire my friend!! Haha. I'll take a hip flask out on a cold night. Have a few sips whilst in the sleeping bag when all knife and other sharp objects are well out of reach!

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I’m lucky as I live near a few woods and forest and amfortunate that I work in woods and forestry on a regular basis. For me eitherworking or just going into the wood for a bibble with the dogs, it gives me a senseof well-being, contentment and a feeling of being at ease. Either it beingsitting quietly and just watching/listening, having a robin following me when I’mcoppicing looking for food, sitting in a high seat waiting for a deer orsitting round a fire with friends enjoying company and the surroundings.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The woods feel a connection with me, from the smallest creature to the greatest tree.
Once among the trees , they sense and feel me, my presence filling their sap with glee...
Chiseller 26-7-12

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
For many being in the woods is just relaxing and allows for introspection, the worlds a humbling place and it's a great feeling to just be a part of something bigger.

Thats about the measure of it for me..
Some nice thoughts posted.
My best.
Chris.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I don't feel any spiritual connection. If anything, the woods do not want or need us there.

You are i believe correct in this statement, as per the folklore of fairy stories about the ancient evil woods. People wish to manage, profit from and abuse the earth for profit, I'm quite sure i would not particularily wish to have say one of my finger bones made into say a spoon either, unless i were dead in which case if someone were in need it would be tolerated perhaps. i believe the flora have been remarkably tolerant of this contempt. Other creatures if you prey on them evolve spines and jaws, equally fauna could also evolve pollen coatings which cause more hazard to the health of oppressors than mere hay fever. So due respect is given on my part.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
i believe the flora have been remarkably tolerant of this contempt. Other creatures if you prey on them evolve spines and jaws, equally fauna could also evolve pollen coatings which cause more hazard to the health of oppressors than mere hay fever. So due respect is given on my part.

Havn't you heard?

Plants invented animals to move them around more efficiently! :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The short answer is yes, I do feel a spiritual connection to the woods. The longer answer (explaining that feeling) couls take pages, so I'll forego that temptation. LOL.

DanRobinson1

May 8, 2012
sheffield
Just incase any of you guys missed it, here is the video describing how I feel about it!

Thanks for getting involved guys. If any of you have YouTube forward me your channel links and i'll check it out.

[video=youtube;GYRUOj_VoeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRUOj_VoeU[/video]

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I definitely do. I feel like the trees are all sentient beings, and that they are there to urge me, to keep going into the woods. Some people keep on saying that survival is a fight against nature, but I disagree with that. I believe that the key to survival is going with nature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE