Do You Feel a Spiritual Connection with the Woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DanRobinson1

May 8, 2012
sheffield
Hey Guys,

I was recently asked the question of "What is your spiritual connection with the woods?" and decided to make a video out of it.

Do any of you guys feel some sort of connection? Can you describe it? As you can see on the video below I kind of struggled with the portraying the emotions I feel when staring into the fire. I'd like to hear your thought guys and girls!

[video=youtube;GYRUOj_VoeU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRUOj_VoeU[/video]

If you like what you see check out my other video's and hit subscribe! Thanks for watching.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
interesting vid, although i was struggling to get the gist of what you were saying, your dialogue was dis-jointed because it seemed you (and i) were focused on your tinder prep'. doing both at the same time isnt really working. take this as constructive. :)

DanRobinson1

May 8, 2012
sheffield
interesting vid, although i was struggling to get the gist of what you were saying, your dialogue was dis-jointed because it seemed you (and i) were focused on your tinder prep'. doing both at the same time isnt really working. take this as constructive. :)

Duly noted mate. Thanks for thaking the time to watch it!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not quite sure where you were going with this vid, but we've all felt some kind of connection while sitting around the fire. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
As a Pagan I am always in tune with Nature. We think eat and sleep with the seasons of the year. Being in the middle of a wood in the solitude and nothing but the sounds of the breeze rustling the leaves and the sound of the animals and the birds beats the everyday humdrum of traffic in London. I am a self confessed tree hugger and would live in the middle of a wood if circumstances permitted.

bohXI

Jul 16, 2012
Kettering
I'm at home in the woods. It is that simple. I may live in houses but I'm at home in the woods.

I am a self confessed tree hugger and would live in the middle of a wood if circumstances permitted.

These.

I feel so much more at ease in the woods. There is a draw to it that runs much deeper than simply wanting to to go out.
They ooze history, enchantment and they have a story to tell.

That said, if I walk in to a man made pine forest that feeling isn't there....

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
you are so right about the enchantment part. It's like entering a bygone time. My nearest forest is Epping which is steeped in History. The Kings and Queen of England Hunted there, so it is a very historic place. You can lose yourself for a few hours away from the cares of the world.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
As a Pagan I am always in tune with Nature. We think eat and sleep with the seasons of the year. Being in the middle of a wood in the solitude and nothing but the sounds of the breeze rustling the leaves and the sound of the animals and the birds beats the everyday humdrum of traffic in London. I am a self confessed tree hugger and would live in the middle of a wood if circumstances permitted.

I could have typed that :) (not the London part, I've managed to get a job in the country)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Partly grew up in and near Epping Forest, lovely place. Haven't found another forest to compare with the hornbeams and little streams. Any forest will do though at a pinch but I would question calling experiences in the woods spiritual unless that refers to the reinforcement of oneself as a natural being.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Although I enjoy all things scientific I am also a very spiritual person. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, quite the opposite actually. Whenever I am out and about in a natural environment (not just the woods) or even watching nature programmes on the box I see evidence of an intelligent caring creator behind it all. So yes I do feel a 'connection' to the natural world.

Sent from my phone.

bohXI

Jul 16, 2012
Kettering
.....but I would question calling experiences in the woods spiritual unless that refers to the reinforcement of oneself as a natural being.

Spirituality is quite a broad term and no real definitive meaning. As such, it could be deemed spiritual to worship a deity (not my bag really) or I'd say for most, it's much more personal and will find there own way for quiet contemplation & reflection. Maybe just go for a meander into the woods to just have some time for themselves, or just to find some peace and clear thought... That, for me, is spirituality.
Most of us must think there's more to this concrete world than just birth, life, death.....??? I don't know what it is but personally, I'm sure it's not any god(s). I do believe however there's something that through the years and evolution we have lost touch with.....

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

we tread a similar path mate. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
For many being in the woods is just relaxing and allows for introspection, the worlds a humbling place and it's a great feeling to just be a part of something bigger.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Spiritual connection? Nope.

But I do like to remind myself what it was like before they built the M1 through the place where, as a ten-year-old, I used to play with my friends.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm not sure why but I quite liked that video. To my mind you have a good screen presence and a good voice ~ but you lost me a couple of times with region specific colloquialisms and 'bouncing around' on the subjects you were trying to cover :eek: .

A couple of pointers though, if I may (a daft thing to say as I'll have posted before you can respond :rolleyes: ) ...

• Have at least a basic framework of a script as this will help you keep both on tack and on track. Reiterating is a good thing, but only if you're summarising something'.
  • Work at talking toward the camera. It's easy for a viewer to lose track of what's being said and being able to see the whole of a speakers face can help convey a message more effectively as well as more efficiently.
  • Please learn and use a safe stance when sawing wood. Had you slipped and over drawn the saw its trajectory would have seen it getting very close to your right thigh.
  • Sticks, pointy or not, aren't covered by the same bit of legislation which allows the carrying of sub 3" non locking folders ~ and anything can be classed as an offensive weapon if used (or with intent to use) in an offence.
  • Please stop swinging stuff around, it's distracting and detracts from the overall feel of the video.
  • Lumping what you feel about spirituality in with knife choice and law is a bit of a stretch and the jump between the two subjects left me thinking that I'd drifted off :eek: . It's always better to have a link which moves you from this to that in a cohesive manner ~ even if it's just 'Staring into a camp fire can be very relaxing, as can sharpening knives and tools. In the UK knives are ...'.
  • You had a reasonably good split between intro (2 minutes ~ brilliant start by the way!), thoughts on spirituality (5 1/2 minutes) and knife stuff (4 1/2 minutes). But do you realise that you spent the remaining time, a quarter of the entire video, telling people to go and watch someone else? That's about equivalent to each of the subjects you were talking about :yikes: . If you want to link in to others work edit in a list of who you recommend and what their subject matter is. This will allow viewers to pause the video and make note of who you recommend viewing ~ and, because they're copying, they won't have to guess at spelling ;) .

Please don't be put off by what I've written above, had I not been impressed by what I saw I wouldn't have gone to the effort of writing things down or posting it at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE