buying woods to wild camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

would anyone be interested in taking part in a purchase of woods via donation or other

• yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • no

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • good idea

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • bad idea

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Thanks guys for all the replies, many good points have been bought to the fore, I've just hit 50 so looking for a project for my retirement hence finally looking at the woods project, I agree that the purchase would be better as a sole owner, so will look into funding it that way, may be a couple of years in the making but I will get there.
By the way of the discussion it would be ran more business like although i would also look at a bartering system , whereby people do maintenance for free use .
please add any ideas of what you would like to see in such an operation.
ie hand pump water well, wild camping as well as simple wooden structures that could be used for those traveling extra light.
etc
many thanks guy
shawn
you are welcome

i think everyone has been useful with their knowledge, skills and experiences

i do hope things pan out for you as it'll be a nice way pf potentially meeting some members from this great forum with great knowledgeable folk

please keep us in the loop as it will be interesting to be along with you on your journey

in the present climbs i like the ideas of a bartering system whereby folk can help out for maintenance as that can help folk with little for no money build on skills and enjoy wild-camping in the great-outdoors neath the sun and moon

Reactions: Shawng

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
you are welcome

i think everyone has been useful with their knowledge, skills and experiences

i do hope things pan out for you as it'll be a nice way pf potentially meeting some members from this great forum with great knowledgeable folk

please keep us in the loop as it will be interesting to be along with you on your journey

in the present climbs i like the ideas of a bartering system whereby folk can help out for maintenance as that can help folk with little for no money build on skills and enjoy wild-camping in the great-outdoors neath the sun and moon

It's a great idea but not without its problems unfortunately. Owners need to insure their woodland for public liability - even if there is no public access; we are liable for injury to trespassers believe it or not. As soon as someone 'works for me', either paid or as a volunteer, I have to cover them with 'employee liability' insurance, which is a lot more expensive.

Reactions: Shawng

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
or labour for extra pairs of hands to manage the land or other tasks

i can guess your polite answer is thank you but no thank you
no choice they will just compulsory purchase
If you feel that there may be species of interest it may be worth you getting your local wildlife trust, or equivalent scientist-sort, to do a high-level survey as there could be stuff in your woodland that's protected (to a greater or lesser degree). If there are at least it may make the council think again.
people are on the case there are barbastial bats and badgers but council does it's own surveys but twist in their favor

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
no choice they will just compulsory purchase
look into trusts and get the land put in a private trust setup by you in a name of your choosing and have yourself as the beneficiary

as no man [wo]man corporation or other entity can interfere with a private trust or it come trespass with implied rights for them to be trustees and more

always use an affadavit of truth

maxims in equity and commerce law, land-owners will find useful as all judges corporations etc have to abide by maxims

Shawng

Mar 4, 2022
Sleaford
I'm a great believer in barter as it helps both sides get something they need, on mutual terms, both gaining in a way that's useful to both parties.
I will of course keep people updated and I'm sure ill be asking for more advise along the way.

Reactions: knowledge=gain

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I'm not convinced owning a couple of acres would solve your problems of disturbance. If it's part of a larger woodlotted woodland you could have all sorts of close neighbours. Quite a few people also seem to think they can walk through, hunt, steel, dump, camp etc in someone else's woodland so you may still get surprised.

Plenty of reasons to own your own bit of course, I own a couple, but there can be problems.
Problems are inevitable but owning woods is cool so be worth it

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
There’s a man in India. He lives near a once barren island and single handedly began replanting native shoots. There is now a substantial foothold that sees elephants visiting seasonally along with other animals.
Consider a purchase INCLUDING
Land left barren from misuse. Include restoration as part of your bushcraft ethos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE