Do You Bushcraft With Your Dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a dog with you, bushcrafting?

• Total voters

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Yes have had him on many day trips and am planing to take him on some overnights in 2014
hynujapa.jpg

Apr 23, 2014
North Devon
Hey folks, I take my Yorkie almost everywhere with me and was looking forward to a bushcraft meet, but none of the meets are allowing dogs onsite, some due to rare breeds on their land others just "no dogs allowed".
Looks like a nomadic summer for me an moi dorg.
If somone knows of a dog friendly meet please let me know.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Another one here that takes their dog pretty much everywhere with them.
Ours is a 3 year old Jack Russell

1799175_10152293988079851_825659760_zps6f097e66.jpg

There have been the odd longer mountain bike rides i've not taken here with me, but other than that if i'm out camping, hiking etc she comes along.

Took a bit of training to get her out of chasing stuff, but once we're away from cars and roads she's 99.9% off lead.
Doesn't harass sheep, ignores most other dogs, trained her to sniff out tortoise and she tends to chase grouse (what can i say i have to let her have some fun), other than that she rarely strays more than 10m from my side.

She sleeps in the tent, cause she's short haired she tends to feel the cold so i usually take a blanket or cover here with one of my coats or jumpers.
If it's really cold then i'll use her as a hot water bottle and she'll sleep in my sleeping bag.

Probably the biggest ball ache is her hairs, anyone that's had a JRT knowns what they're like for moulting.
It does make checking for ticks each night a LOT easier than other dogs i've had though, likewise just a wipe over with a damp cloth is usually enough to clean her off before she comes in the tent.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I take our Border Collie with me walking, and the times I've spent in someone's woods working with the chainsaw he's been there with me but bushcrafting?
Naah, I don't really do any of that, I like in the UK and over here we can't get further than 6.48 miles away from any road.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I'd love to take my guy, but I honestly only rescued him so that my missus would have someone that barks loud when something knocks on the door and I'm away.
I'll be able to take mitchell when I can take the missus but she is a dainty little thing and I'm a behemoth so the idea has been shelfed until we've got her kit she can carry or I get one of them 200L porter packs :p

Mitchel.jpg

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
oscar-1.jpg

As Oscar's eyesight continues to get fail he's less comfortable up in the woods but give him an field with the smell of rabbit and will run himself ragged for hours. Now if we could just reach an understanding about sitting under the tarp after I've strung it up and not on it while I'm trying then setting up camp would be a breeze.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but those who do take their dogs camping what is the normal sleeping arrangement? Do you bring a cut off from a roll mat and a cut off sleeping bag for the dogs? or are they generally warm enough on a leaf bed?

I'm thinking about going out local to home to test this when we are all released from lock down.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but those who do take their dogs camping what is the normal sleeping arrangement? Do you bring a cut off from a roll mat and a cut off sleeping bag for the dogs? or are they generally warm enough on a leaf bed?

I'm thinking about going out local to home to test this when we are all released from lock down.
I've got a Jervehiet dog bivvy bag (Jervehiet website) with an internal close cell foam mat and a primaloft insert sleeping bag. I normally take the outer bag for longer day trips so that they can rest out of the wind and somewhere dry. I use the sleeping bag insert on a normal foam mat when we're sleeping in the tent. Both dogs (7-8 kg each) share a medium bag. Ours don't have a very protective coat, their fur is more like hair, so I need to keep them dry or moving, which can be a challenge at times.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
i have a cut down thermal mat, however he much more prefers me, that’s laying across me, many a time I’ve woken up feeling paralysed in the legs to find a springer, snoring ha ha!!

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don’t usually take anything special. If she gets to hot she’ll dig to cooler earth. If t’s cold she’ll usually either snuggle in with me or burrow under straw.

However the DOD before last NEVER got cold. She was a timberwolf/malamute hybrid and was comfortable down to sub zero farenheit. She suffers greatly in warm weather though. I expect most people’s mileage is going to very greatly with the dog breed.

Last edited:

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
My best mate used to take his dog. He used a pretty smart system for overnighters.

As I remember it, he'd hammock up for himself, hang his rucksack on the tree and lay a groundsheet/windbreak (poncho) below and to one side. He'd lay a kipmat over the groundsheet for the dog. Under his hammock, he'd tie a "ridgline" onto which he'd attach a carabiner which has the lead snapped to it: this enabled the dog to have some mobility. He'd sometimes bring a collapsible insulating fluffy kennel or dog bed. Sometimes, he had her in the hammock with him.

If the dog "needed the tree", she'd be able to walk to it. She HAD to be secured 'cause she'd chase the local foxes, badgers and squirrels!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Wow, 2004 and almost 2021 where does the time go. I’ve still haven’t a wammel. Hopefully I can get meself one one day soon. I like the look of the German Wire Haired Pointer, maybe make a good Schraftin wammel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE