Do You Bushcraft With Your Dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a dog with you, bushcrafting?

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I find that having my dog with me is relaxing, and adds to ones happiness. See him running around, digging after molls, mice, etc. is great. No need for me to keep him occupied, often it's him that occupies me, coming with all his sticks. :roll: (want's me to throw them).

I think we've talked about protection from dogs, and being alone out there before, but my dog wouldn't give much protection. On the other hand, he would warn me long before a stranger or me would know anything. :D

So do you have a dog with you?
Is he carrying any gear? (a strong and healthy dog can carry very much in fact)

:pack:

Reactions: CLEM

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
My dog usually comes with me and like yours wouldn't protect me against much but would be an alarm as regards strangers approaching.
She is a real threat to rabbits and smaller things and positively suicidal with badgers, foxes and bigger dogs :?:
I also find that having the dog makes the inquisitive relax and not regard me as some sort of psycho loner with sharp tools and fire. :yikes:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i put other.. as if i was going to spend the night in the woods or on a longer exceursion then i wouldnt take the little rat with me.. more hastle than its worth!!

but i dont like to catogorise bushcraft the a few activitys.. if i go on a foraging walk i will take her..

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
If i had a dog i reckon i would take it with me,ive not owned a dog since my last Bullmastiff past on in 98,never been without a dog longer than 12 months before. I guess some breeds are more suited to bushcrafting than others,i mean taking a Mexican hairless dog to the Hardanger plato in the middle of winter wouldent be the smartest of ideas.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I voted other as well. We've just recently gotten a 2-3 year old bitch with a wandering spirit. She can't be trusted to come yet. :wink: She's a cross of Mexican Chihuahua and Jack Russell Terrorist. :eek:):

Even if she did stay close at hand, there is so much poison oak in this area that she'd be sure to get into it and since I have a reaction when I come into contact with it's oils, she would be sure to give it to me.

Once we have established that she can be trusted not to wander off or terrorize the local fauna without a lead, then when I head into the Sierra Mtns., she can come with and enjoy a good time in the field.

hootchi

Settler
I posted "other" because I take him sometimes when I do bushcraft and go for a walk, actually more like take him for a walk and do bushcraft, but if I am going to be climbing fences and stuff :naughty: I dont take him because hes not really built for that- labrador.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would if I had one :wink:
I used to have a husky, that was a cool dog. I think that if I have another one it will be a Malamute, I think they're lovely
alsknmmu.jpg

another pic

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I take my mutt with me most of the time except stalking etc as he's just got no idea how to be quiet... I've got nobody else to go with so he comes and my Wife doesn't moan at me for being out hours if I say I'm walking the dog.

He's an ex-police dog and weighs in at over 112Lbs and doesn't back down from anything...even coaches :?: so he makes a very good protection dog...it's what he's done all his life and while doing the odd security job for an old army mate of mine who runs a dog handling security company Samson has saved my bacon several times... notably in an NCP car park in Wardore Street in Soho where he took out a crack dealer with a knife that I challenged...oh and he also persuaded a drunk with a golf club walking home late one night that starting a fight with me wasn't a good idea (just as well Samson was there as the bloke was massive!!!)

Anyway, I'm with most people here...I take him whenever I can but not when I need to be quiet or stealthy...

He's also a great packhound (as in pack-horse not a dog in a pack...he hates other dogs) and carried most of our gear when we go to Brecon.

I wrote a few bits about that in the "Ruffwear" thred I started if you fancy seeing what we get up too and there's a piccy's of samson in his sadle bags on here somewhere too:

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4193&highlight=ruffwear

Cheers all....

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
when I'm working and in the field I often do some bustcrafty stuff then so my dog's with me then.

If I go overnight (like the hunter course) he wouldn't come with me though.

Cheers

Mark

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I cant take my dogs with me as they have opposing ideologies.They are a pair of basset hounds.The bitch,Mildred, is athletic and will run all day and then some.Bentley,however weighs nearly 6 stone and cant even climb stairs,he has to be lifted over obsticles that are any taller than he is.on a walk he gets tired after an hour or so and would doss at every chance he gets.They wont go anywhere without each other either.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
NO, I dont do bushcraft with my dog - hes crap at bow drill, and even worse at shelter building! :wave:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
NO, I dont do bushcraft with my dog - hes crap at bow drill, and even worse at shelter building! :wave:
... and his paws are too small for a knife!

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Don't have a dog :cry: . Plan to have one :) .

But I always visualize my future life with my future dog bivouaking/camping, hiking out there with him. There's nothing I 'd be happier to do with a dog than this. No previous experience though. I hope he won't disappear hunting the wildlife... :shock:

PaulW

Sep 19, 2004
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My dogs wouldn't dream of leaving the sofa for a couple of nights away from home and the radiator. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that are more like lazy lay around teenagers....... no wonder our Staff is on an obesity diet :roll:

J

JAI

I have a wonderfull dog he is a cross Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Huskey very solid and big. I have had him six years and ever since getting him he has gone every where with me. If I go he goes, he loves being with me out in the woods and he is a great companion.He keeps me warm on the cold nights and safe and secure.
PS when Im away working in foregein lands he looks after my wife, and keeps her safe and secure.
He is a great dog and I would not be without him. :)

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Just bought a springer spaniel - he's only 9 weeks old, but has settled in perfectly

Here's my daughter Rosie (3 1/2) and Pippin - pals already!

pals.jpg

They'll be great bushcraft companions in a year or two - Rosie said the other day that she wanted to live outdoors and go on long journeys!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE