Do You Bushcraft With Your Dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a dog with you, bushcrafting?

• Total voters

Swampy Steve

Apr 20, 2005
West Cornwall
I voted other because I no longer have any dogs, but I quite often go camping with Tony ( ScanDgrind ) and we always take his two dogs. "Tenby" ( Yellow Lab ) his Guide Dog, who is a wonderful charactor - Happy, friendly, fat ( so he doesn't walk too fast ) a complete coward and steals your bed at night & "Sam" :eek: ( Border Collie ) who is a complete loony - Hyperactive, would take on a Buffalo, steals your food any time of day and pees on your bed at night ! We certainly look an unusual combination when you see us :confused:

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I take our westie Jock to the woods,but its more of a 'bushcrafting while walking the dog' type of thing.Ive tried him on the hill with no success- he gets so excited he wont stop for a rest and whines when we do .On one occaision he began shivering refusing to go any further ,thankfully it was an easy matter to pop him into the rucksack for number one son to carry him off.Jock also bore witness to my first success with the firesteel by looking bored sh****ss whilst I danced a triumphent jig.One snowy day ,at our local country park,a jogger swung a kick at him for no reason.Whilst I was ahem, disscussing the futility of violence with him,Jock legged it and was awol for two frantic(for me ) hours .He is scared of water,needing to be lifted over burns and puddles.As a bushcrafty dog he is pretty useless.Three things in his defence:he is excellent at sniffing wildlife,in particular roe deer:he is obidient: And I love him more than any dog(3 labs,2 dobermans) Ive ever had.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Swampy Steve said:
"Sam" :eek: ( Border Collie ) who is a complete loony - Hyperactive, would take on a Buffalo, steals your food any time of day and pees on your bed at night ! We certainly look an unusual combination when you see us :confused:

He don't pee on my bed!!! Unfortunately some "other" people are a little less fortunate :rolleyes: . He he who could I be thinking of Steve?

Cheers,

Tony

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't have a dog but I would love to get one. Maybe when the youngest is two or three years old. My dad on the other hand loves taking his staffy along camping and hiking, even for long walks.

Annie is a bit of a dim beast, she went swimming into a lake where the scouts go canoeing. My dad was calling her back and then realized something was wrong. She'd swam to the large bouy in the middle of the lake and was frantically trying to swim back but not getting anywhere.

Fearing the worst and ever the hero, the old man (54) decides to get in the lake to free her from the buoy, he's thinking she must be tangled up. Being November, it was absolutely freezing, but my dad is a strong swimmer who served in the navy for 24 years, and was in the falklands during the conflict. He also went to south georgia which is bloody cold! He had his Normark Lock back, shaving sharp, with him, and had it at hand. As soon as he got in the water, he started to do that rapid breathing thing, due to the cold. He swam out to the dog, and as he was getting close realized that the dog was not tangled after all, but had a hold of the rope that held the buoy in place!! She was trying to bring it back because she thought it was a giant football!!!

My dad said he could see how people get into trouble in water when it's cold, and admits it was probably a bit of a silly thing to do!!

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i dont have a dog (alas, i've got to get settled first), but my three friends have a dog each and they are always out when we're bushing/canoeing/doing anything!

from what i've seen with the terrible trio, dogs just add to any outing. they amuse you (yarrow the hyper patterdale pup), warm you up (little-ben the portable radiator, yorkie - yes, yorkie) and warn off anything that thinks of comming near (josh, cattle dog), and they're all much more alert than the four of us put together, which is helpfull!

the first couple of years will be hard (and entertaining) work, but what you get out is worth it.

a topic that i could go on for years, as all whom know me will agree, so i'll finnish with, yes, take your pup - i will for sure when i get mine.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I said other because I do walk with friends who have dogs; lurchers, collies and labradors. All are well trained, silent when need be and exercised so constantly that they are alert and able.
When I walk nearby and there are few folk about, my cat comes with me...we wander, investigate, see what we turn up, she's a good companion within the area she thinks of as her territory and she spots animals like the weasel for me.

Cheers,
Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hullo again, everyone.

Work got in the way, hence my absence.

Well, our mutt seems to show interest, or lack of it, depending on what he sees going into the daysack, as refreshment.

Meat and chocolate, then its all eagerness.
Cheese, peanuts or any sort of fruit, then he aint interested.

Just like a bairn, I suppose.

Seagull

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My Jack Russell type thing is great but does have a liking for worrying sheep, but at least he has grown out of chasing horses. His biggest worry, is that his legs aren't as big as mine and can't keep up or go the distance, so he can't go on long trips. But day walks with long stops are fine, and i prefer the dog's company sometimes to people. He's always been a companion rather than MY dog. The trouble is that part of my 5 Year Plan has involved moving from countryside on the edge of the Chilterns into Central London, and the dog has had to live with my mum for this time :( Luckily, I go down often and it's a good excuse to lurk around the New Forest and Purbecks. I agree that having a dog with you makes you seem less of a loner weirdo.
A few weeks ago I took him on a deer tracking walk in The Forest, and he was very well behaved. Two young stags were about 30 ft away for 15 minutes or so , and he seemed to enjoy watching them as much as I without making a noise. When we were tracking a whole herd, it was a different matter! When they ran he would make a fuss, wanting to chase, but at least it gave me more of a challenge to follow them again..
One thing he has always been good with is foxes. He seems to always want to play with them rather than chase them, and I have seen him on many occasion run around with them. There were two in particular in a reserve south of Croydon that he would find regularily when we were there. They would stand and wait and he would run over to them. Then all three would take it in turn to be the chased one! It really was a sight, as they all seemd to be enjoying the 'game'. Shame we moved yet again..

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
my dog briar is an important in my bushcraft activities,i wouldent be without him.

bernie

Picture13327.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Sadly, at fourteen years old, Wallace (that's the dog) has taken to barking at nothing the whole night long. If he was out with me, the combination of my snoring and his barking would empty the woods of anything that can hear all too quickly. I don't know who should be put down first: him or me.:eek:

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
My dogs wouldn't dream of leaving the sofa for a couple of nights away from home and the radiator. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that are more like lazy lay around teenagers....... no wonder our Staff is on an obesity diet :roll:

ive got a ridgeback also i have have a staffy cross they love being next to the fire under a poncho.My mini yorkie is a bit soft though prefers it in my sleeping bag.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I take my lurcher Saxen with me when I at work and teaching (the closest to bushcraft for fun I get these days). As long as I keep calling him back so he doesn't wander off for a free meal he's fine. I have to treat him like a child when it comes to sharps though, he just doesn't learn! :rolleyes: I can't keep him in a tent these days coz he tries to exit the walls! In the woods I have a shelter he can come and go freely and he's happy, he curls up on or next to me to keep me warm and as soon as I wake up (tongue in the face) he tries to climb in the bag with me :rolleyes: at 30" to the shoulder he is a bit big!

saxenposenet.jpg

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Only watching bushcrafty stuff on the telly together.
Oh I see what you mean now...
You actually mean the 4-legged dog... :D

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
We have recently (October) bought a Boxer pup he is now 5 months old, as daft as me and he loves being out, unless its raining, then he takes a bit of convincing.

I have taken him a few times to my local haunt and he loves it, for the fact we were told Boxers are bad to train he is doing just fine, behaves himself well when just me & him out in the woods.

I would not take him to a meet or group camp just yet, but when I am confident with his training I would consider it, if it was allowed at that meet.

If he turns out as obedient as my previous dog (GSD) he will be great.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I would love to have a dog but I have two problems

1. the Mrs is scared of dogs (cat lover)
2. Both of us work and there would be no one in all day.

I can't see either position changing in the near future either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE