Djellaba instead of smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
so, I was on the hunt for a Swedish army smock, but had no luck and gave up.

But, my parents have just returned from an Africa trip and brought me home a Djellaba. Its a long cotton smock type garment, native to morocco apparently. it is also surprisingly warm.
I tied it up around the waist to bring up the height, this also gives it more of a smock appearance rather than a dress to be honest.

I highly recommend them for cold nights folks, maybe as a replacement for the now extinct Swedish snow smock.

ps. they are also very cheap (ebay)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And you get to look like a Jedi too. :D
Great things, my mates not had his off since he got back from Morroco a few months back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yep. A friend gave me a nice heavy black one a couple of yeas ago and with a little nip and tuck makes a great smock :) Also had some fabric left over incase I decide to make something else warm from it (the thing was like a dress on me before!)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought one in Muscat years ago for the dress up box. I wore it to a few stag do paintball games and the fabric absorbed the hit instead of bursting.

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
Djellaba/burnous is not a bad idea. It was the standard equipement of Goumiers and Tabors, but in wool. Most of the Morrocan troops came form mountain and they were equipped for cold (not extrem).

goum1943.jpg

goumie11.jpg

Goums.jpg

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought a white cotton one in Morocco a few years ago. Wore it at a carnival with the hood pulled up, intending to look like a mysterious medieval monk. It was when the crowd started shouting "Oi! Ku Klux Klan!" at me (and after an unsurprisingly filthy look from a black marshall) that I took the hood down. Holding a flaming torch probably didn't help the image... :D

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
This reminds me, I bought a djellaba in Tunisia years ago, never worn it, must dig it out as warm round the house wear this winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE