DIY Table

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Found this on the US bushcraft site, look like a good idea http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/55865-DIY-Table
2012-01-11120240.jpg
2012-01-11123959.jpg
2012-01-11125914.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
By the looks of it, all you'd need is a bit of an internal collar around the inner curve - maybe even just a strong tab facing downwards! Wouldn't be rubust enough for full kettles and dutch ovens, but plenty enough for a few odd 'n' ends.

But then if you used a chain with hooks and a wedge at the back of the tree, it might be reasonably strong!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can see a big plus to that idea - whenever I use a board on the ground it ends up covered with sticks and leaf litter and so forth. Having it off the ground is a nice idea.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats Great Chris, like the multi use part of it as well... still use it a s achopping board

just an Idea, but if you had a cord lock from the front of teh board around the tree higher up then that would act like a suspention bridge then no need for the stick to hold the front up...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I had thought of fitting extre lines to the front to do away with the leg but thought that they may get in the way. Folding the handle down sound like a good idea but would be a bugger to pack

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I put together a test case for the table - here are my results copied from another forum:

The way in which I put the table together however is a bit unusual - I wanted light weight and multipurpose so I chose corrugated plastic as the material to use - wired together with 18 gauge steel wire to form the attachment points for the line tied around the tree and the prop stick. This was easy to do with the corrugated plastic since the wire fits very nicely into the corrugation channels. A single sheet would have probably worked ok but I sandwiched two sheets together for more support. As for multipurpose the main thought that I had was that this table could also be a frame sheet in a frameless pack or a homemade pack. A secondary usage is that the plastic could also serve as a cutting board provided the user was not too heavy handed.

The two sheets were wired together on each side and in the center as can hopefully be seen in the pictures.

The table plus lines weighs 4.51 ounces or 128 grams - not as light as I was hoping for but ...

The size of the surface is approximately 14x7 inches or 36x18 cm

The table does support a US gallon of water (my test case) - approx. 8.35 lb or 3.79 kg but I found it best to put it closer to the tree for reasons of stability - the surface tends to twist the closer the heavy weight is to the end with the prop stick.

The next test I will try gluing the sheets together to get better stability out toward the prop stick attachment point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

note in the last picture the attachment to the tree is via a sliding larkshead knot that is tightened and then locked in place with a bow knot - this approach is very similar to the approach I use for the A Simple Sling chair where the front cross stick is tied to the prop sticks.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
This idea is popularn"across the pond" for hunting seats. They have two straps though, one goes around the tree at the level of the platform and one goes higher. Strong enough to sit on and they don't need the leg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE