DIY Fire Bowl??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I'm interested in making a DIY Fire Bowl and just wondering if anybody has any ideas or pictures of ones they have made?

I am looking for something about 18" to 30" in diameter that's reasonably portable for car camping.

The two suggestions I have had so far are the stainless steel drum from an old washing machine or the lid from one of the old heavy duty steel dustbins. The first is a little bulky, and I am not even sure where I would find the second given everywhere seems to use wheelie bins these days..

We had a cheap and cheerful steel fire bowl but it did not last long before a combination of burning and rust did it in..

So any ideas/pictures?

Regards,

Peter

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Big catering size steel collonder maybe? You can get stainless steel ones. Not sure how it would hold up long term though...

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Interesting idea and one I'd not thought of...

If anybody is looking for a small fire bowl, Pound Stretcher is currently selling a cheap SS fruit bowl which is around 9" in diameter and 5" deep..Its a little flimsy, but at less than a £5 might be worth a go....

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've seen a fella use a beer cask from a pub quite successfully even though it was made of aluminium I think. It had a door in the side for feeding large pieces of wood.

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
Hi. recently bought one of the folding barbeques from Aldi, and it works well as a fire pit, and looking at it it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the design and make a bigger one:cool:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We can buy aluminium sheet in 50' rolls or by the foot, various widths from 6" - 36" wide.
Metal shears, 9/64" drill bit and a bunch of short pop-rivets should make a fire dish of any convenient size.

I use such things in my 3 smoker BBQ rigs as the wood dishes. The dish sits right on the
offset propane burner for 3 hours at a time. Some have lasted for several years, used at least
once a month, all year long (yes, I BBQ in the snow at -10C).

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have been using a aluminium satellite dish for over 5 years now. The old type with the 3 aluminium tubes that form a tripod to hold the receiver. I unscrewed the tripod poles and re screwed them to the dish on the other side., using the centre hole that is used to hold the installation bracket. These then become very sturdy legs to keep the satellite dish off of the floor when in use and keeps the grass from burning. Even works as a BBQ. Extremely light. I strap the dish upside down on the vehicle roof to transport it.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Got to second stonemonkey on the usefulness of the Aldi folding barbeque as a mini firepit. A folding square is the new round bowl!
d709729108bb2191931fa9041e5b1e6c.jpg

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I've seen a fella use a beer cask from a pub quite successfully even though it was made of aluminium I think. It had a door in the side for feeding large pieces of wood.

I have one of those mate. I picked picked it up off ebay a. Couple of months ago. From a local seller who dropped it off for me. And it's great. It has a great draw on and give off a lot of heat. Mine has a door in the side to feed it with. So far I have burnt wood and charcoal in it I'm planning on giving Cole a go at some point.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I got the largest chinese wok I could find at either Morrisons or Tesco, and it sits on my rucksack quite neatly and serves my purpose quite well. Worth a look.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have one of those mate. I picked picked it up off ebay a. Couple of months ago. From a local seller who dropped it off for me. And it's great. It has a great draw on and give off a lot of heat. Mine has a door in the side to feed it with. So far I have burnt wood and charcoal in it I'm planning on giving Cole a go at some point.

Pictures please!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
The one this fella had was a squatter keg, without the top or chimney,

The chimney is a length of duct. It sits a a round of steel that's about three mill thick. The steel round is welded to the ally keg. The round is shaped and goes up into the duct. I will take a photo of the top tomorrow with out the chimney on. I don't think it was made for this set up I believe it's been salvaged off something else and just used for this but it's a nice snug fit on the duct. I did not make it myself I picked it up off ebay. The guy I had it off had been ushering it for about five years but only a few times per year in the summer months but he had it second hand off another bloke who have quite a bit of use out of it. When I had it all they heat proffered paint had burnt off and very little was left so I repainted it with some more. I'm not sure how land it will last.
I'm quite happy with it for the moment and its nice to sit out with on night with a drink and a book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE