"DIY Duluth" - home made canvas/leather pack (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Excellent work mate.

The sit mat idea is good. I use a canvas german mountain pack for day trips and that has the same feature. Its come in very handy.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:wow1: That's a grand job you've done there Kerne.

You've every reason to be proud as that looks like a professionally made pack that's going to last you for years to come.

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis
On the other hand, to paraphrase the advert: the satisfaction of making it yourself - priceless!

I gave up trying to justify making things myself, on the basis of saving money, years ago.
Learning new skills, time well spent and making something to your own specifications that often turns out better than you could buy is justification enough.

Your fantastic pack proves that.

Thanks for sharing the excellent idea with the sitmat in the back. I will definately be using that idea when I get round to making a pack myself.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thanks for all the encouraging comments, folks.

Just finished making the detachable pockets this evening - I'll try and post some pics over the weekend.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
That's a fantastic piece of work,and hugely inspiring, I might have to dig out my gran's old Singer sewing machine.

And living in Brittany, I love the fact you've decorated it with a Triskell.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Spent my evenings this week making the pockets for the rucksack. I used much the same technique so, basically, I made two tiny rucksacks - about 3 litres each. They, therefore, give you the option of bringing the capacity of the rucksack up to about 36 litres and the total weight up to just under 4lbs:

pockets3.jpg

An empty pocket:
pockets1.jpg

They attach to the rucksack side straps via sleeves sewn onto the back:
pockets2.jpg

To make it look like this:
pockets4.jpg

pockets5.jpg

Modelled by me:
pockets6.jpg

pockets7.jpg

Hoping to get out into the woods to do a field test in the next couple of weeks. I will post a review when I do. In the meantime, got to get on with those jobs I've been ignoring in order to get this finished...

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hi Kerne, Wow that looks good , and you can use the pockets on a belt as possable pouch ?

Cheers Topknot.

Thanks - can't wait to see your finished pack.

I think the sleeve at the back might be too wide to give the pockets a firm carry as a possibles pouch. But, now that you have mentioned it, you've given me an idea - if I were to make two narrow sleeves rather than one large one (or stitched a seam about 50mm below the top one). They could double up. As it happens, the first pocket I made was a little too small for my liking (about 2.5 litres) so I made some more. I think I will dig it out and see if I can adapt it as a matching belt pouch - thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire

WOW! Thanks for posting that link - great video and it's given me all sorts of ideas about the next pack I try to make. I like the guy who says "I just kinda eyeball it" - it sums up a lot of traditional crafts for me and is a refreshing approach in these days of CADCAM. It is also refreshing to see a company producing quality products without "outsourcing" labour to a cheaper country.

BTW - love the video in your signature:lmao:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
glad you like it,

wouldnt mind having a go at making my own pack, thanks for the inspiration,
can i ask, what kind of sewing machine do you use, and what thread?
is it a normal household one, or wouldnt it do???

cheers

I used an ordinary household sewing machine - a fairly ancient Brother. It handled the job fine except when I got up to about 4 or 5 thicknesses of canvas, when it struggled a bit. I also bought canvas/denim needles which are stronger than the standard ones. I used Gutermann polyester thread which I am assured is pretty strong. I noticed in the video that Duluth use a much thicker thread but their industrial machines can probably take it easily. Mine (or SWMBO's to be precise) wouldn't get near handling that thickness of thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE