"DIY Duluth" - home made canvas/leather pack (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Inspired by Shewie's thread on the Duluth Bushcrafter pack:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46397&highlight=%22duluth+bushcrafter%22

But put off by the price :))!) I decided to research canvas and leather packs and to have a go at making my own. Stage one is just finished, i.e. the main pack - I am going to add pockets when I get the time. Sorry that I didn't take pics as I went along but here is the finished article:

I used the laser engraver at work to etch the logo.
rs1nh.jpg

rs2gb.jpg

rs3r.jpg

I sewed a sleeve on the inside so that I can slide a sitmat down - this gives it a bit of inherent stiffness and stops objects sticking in my back:

rs4wr.jpg

I decided to add a leather bottom for protection against bumps and scrapes:

rs6.jpg

Modelled by yours truly:

rs7ux.jpg

rs8jm.jpg

I estimate that the capacity is just over 30 litres (depending on how tightly you want to pull the drawstring.) But it seems much bigger than my Sabre 30. The dimensions are roughly:

500mm high x 350mm wide x 180mm deep.
Weight - what with all that leather and copper! - is a tad over 3lbs. (Not for my lightweight long distance trips!)

I want to add detachable pockets that will bring the capacity up to about 36 litres.

Finally - a word about the cost of these packs:
After my initial thoughts that these packs were too expensive to justify buying, I have changed my mind somewhat. The materials for my pack cost me:
12oz water/rot proof Canvas - £12 a metre (almost 2 metres used)
Leather - £4.80 a square foot(about 3.5 square feet used - inc. waste)
Rivets - c£5 a pack of 50 (Bowstocks)

which works out as:
Canvas £24.00
Leather £16.80
Rivets - £5.00
Brass buckles - £5.50
Polyester thread/Linen thread - £5.00 (estimate)
Postage on all the above - c.£12

Which comes to a grand total of £68.30. Not bad in comparison to the offerings from Duluth, Frosts River, Rugged River etc. BUT - add in the cost of labour and the prices charged by these companies seem much more reasonable. OK, I know they buy in bulk, can make them in much less time than I did, have templates and machines set up in advance etc. etc. But, if I "paid" myself even minimum wage (currently £5.87 per hour) for 10 hours work (it took much longer!) and added it to the cost of materials, already the pack is coming in at around £127.00. So maybe these prices are not so exorbitant after all.

On the other hand, to paraphrase the advert: the satisfaction of making it yourself - priceless!

The next step is to take it out on a jaunt and see how it bears up to the rigours of the outdoors.

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That's really nice, I particularly like the sit pad idea as I've used one in my factory made pack and it really enhances comfort and support.

Your workmanship is superb, you've made a pack which not only looks great, but also looks just right!
happy0034.gif

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
On the other hand, to paraphrase the advert: the satisfaction of making it yourself -priceless!
Couldn't agree more which is why I got into making blades and joining some leather together (note I didn't say leather work as I'm not good enough yet):D

I'm exactly the same. When it comes to knives, it's the satisfaction of making something with something you have made yourself, making the outcome purely your work. Same goes for anything else you make.

Great job Kerne, looks like highly skilled work. I'd never have the patience for that!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Kerne thats awsome I can help but think your going to be getting a few "excuse me mate but how much would you charge?" pms!!!

Very very impressive I like eveything about it.

The people on this site astound me with their skills.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Very impressive work, did you use a pattern or was it your own design? The reason I ask is I managed to get hold of some olive canvas and would like to have a crack at something similar.
Did you use a sewing machine? or is it hand sewn.

Glen

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Very impressive work, did you use a pattern or was it your own design? The reason I ask is I managed to get hold of some olive canvas and would like to have a crack at something similar.
Did you use a sewing machine? or is it hand sewn.

Glen

Thanks.

I looked at photos and drawings of similar packs and made my own pattern based on what I wanted and what i thought I could do. I used an ordinary domestic sewing machine for the canvas and hand stitched the leather bits that weren't riveted.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that looks sound :D :approve:
I do like the way you've balanced the straps and the base is such a practical idea :cool:

Scary when you add up the hours of work sometimes though, isn't it ?
Incredibly satisfying, but a hard way to make a living.

Interested to see how you add on pockets too.

cheers,
Toddy

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
I agree with everyone here about how this is a very nice pack. In fact what you have just built is pretty much what I would consider a perfect day pack. I've been looking for a 30 ltr Duluth style in the size and configuration just as you have built yours and I have not seen one yet. I have a Rambler which is a bit bigger but it has those side pockets which can catch when you are bushwacking. The bushcrafter put them at the back which is ok but that pack is quite a bit bigger.

if you ever decide to sell these I'll take the first one. Great job, gerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE