DIY dentist....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I never thought I'd see one of those on here :)
I used something similar when my filling fell out in Rajastan. They are ok, but it only lasted 4-5 days... then i had to re-do it..... and kept having to re-do it till I got home. From what I remember the longest it lasted was well over a week. So a great temporary measure, just seek dental advice as soon as you can.

:)
Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Probably a lot better if you have someone else who can work on your dental problems for you rather that trying to actually DIY!!!

P

Pathos

:tw:
just had a wisdom tooth pulled out by someone who pretends to be a dentist!! Ouch... thought I could find some solace here... but no! :cry:

lol

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Pathos said:
just had a wisdom tooth pulled out by someone who pretends to be a dentist!! Ouch... thought I could find some solace here... but no! :cry:

lol

I had a wisdom tooth taken out about 18months ago, my first extraction too. It was a "three rooter" - it wasn't particularly painful, but the crunching of bone and the jarring vibrations in my skull, as the guy wrenched the tooth out of splintering jaw, was almost unbearable.

Did I paint a good picture? :lol: :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
Pathos said:

lol

I had a wisdom tooth taken out about 18months ago, my first extraction too. It was a "three rooter" - it wasn't particularly painful, but the crunching of bone and the jarring vibrations in my skull, as the guy wrenched the tooth out of splintering jaw, was almost unbearable.

Did I paint a good picture? :lol: :-D

A game of "top that" is it ... I think I can top that one ...

I had to have a tooth out after the dentist had carried out two root canals on it. Basicallyit was so weak that it had to be split in half with a chisel and the bits gouged out with like a small prybar. The hole looked like John Hurt's chest - post alien! And the reason I had to have it out - because the root canal file had gone through the side of the root and into the gum and then broken off ... :shock:

But it get's better ... we then went down to Corwall to see the eclipse and I found that there was a small bit still in the hole ... so ... I got Kath to pull out the bit with the pliers on my SAK!!!!

Anyone want a dentist!

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I fly a lot in a small unpressurised plane when I go to work in Scotland. A while back, I discovered the joys of taking bags of crisps that held lots of air up with me - then watch them explode as we get higher.

Nearly had to do an extraction for a co-worker who was in agony after he had a crown done with an air-bubble left under it. :yikes: Poor bloke was in tears at 10000', but we managed to fly a lot lower instead. :lol:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
for pain with densits i have one of the top ones (if not the top one). i had an operation to release my tounge from the base of the mouth this involved cutting through the flesh using electrosurgery (hot wire) besides choking on the blood and having the smell of part of me been cooked. i hadn't got enough local pain killer. at one point i got full feeling of what was been done. it hurts far more then havingteeth knocked out pulled out and anythign else thats happend to me.

P

Pathos

dunno wether to laugh or cry! They are some seriously baaad stories.

Think I'll just go and lie down a while.....

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Last time I had any dentistry done, it was by a proper dentist, to put a crown on a molar.

She fitted a temporary crown, the time the technicians made the real one.

To take off the temporary crown, she used a very cute little slide hammer.

Keith.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Rob said:
I fly a lot in a small unpressurised plane when I go to work in Scotland....

Had to fly to Cairo one time while i was suffering an infection underneath one of my fingernails. Flew by jumbo but the pressure changes were still enough to make it burst ! - Gooey :shock: But it felt much better afterward :biggthump

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I am sure that my last dentist was the technical advisor to the white angel in the marathon man, his lack of skill/bed side manor led me to remove my own molar with the aid of a leatherman supertool and half a bottle of southern comfort, my good lady watched in ore and then passed out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott

Jan 2, 2004
Coventry, UK
I asked my dentist if there was anything I could carry when I went outdoors that might help.

His suggestions were Oil of Cloves for toothache and Bon Jela for gum type aches.

He didn't rate the temporary filling stuff as much cop but said at least it keeps the cavity clean..

I just take Oil of Cloves now if I'm going away for any length of time.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Got one of those lifesystems emergency dental kits because they contain oil of cloves - when I mentioned it to my dentist he did give a word cauion that while it's better than nothing, the clove oil itself can cause burns (I assume some sort of chemical burn / blistering). It didn't stop me keeping it in the FAK though. :-D

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
a couple of dried cloves in your FAK are useful,you just put one on your bad tooth and bite on them.they are dry and wont leak clove oil on the rest of your kit!

F

frog71_uk

You're right Alick ... I tried it in desperation one evening, but i didn't have the oil, so I thought i'd make it myself ... I put a handfull of cloves in a baby blender and poured a little alcool on it (don't ask why the alcool, it just seemed a good idea at the time)

I applied the paste (quite a bit :oops: ) straight between my cheek and my gum and left it there for half an hour. It works very well and very quickly, which I was well impressed about, and it even tastes like the stuff the dentists use!

....... however ........ :oops: after I had done that twice, i rubbed my tongue on my gum to see if I could feel it again, and a good layer of skin came off it, and it was like that for a couple of days aftewards ... quite sore ... the toothache was gone though ! :-D I guess the fact the cloves attacked the plastic of the blender should have been a hint :roll:

Well, there must be a reason why these guys spend 5years+ studying their trade :wink:

===============================================
Got one of those lifesystems emergency dental kits because they contain oil of cloves - when I mentioned it to my dentist he did give a word cauion that while it's better than nothing, the clove oil itself can cause burns (I assume some sort of chemical burn / blistering). It didn't stop me keeping it in the FAK though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE