DIY canvas bivvy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
So now it's getting a little warmer I am starting to experiment with 3x3 tarp camping and i'm finding myself in need of a bivvy bag...

I know the gore-tex bags are cheap but I really don't like the feel of the fabric and like stuff to be natural materials, wool and canvas as much as possible.

So I'm thinking of buying up some wax cotton fabric and sewing my own bivvy. It doesn't need to be extremely waterproof or anything because i'll be using it with a pretty big tarp, and will probably use it with a groundsheet in most cases.

I'm also going to make some groundsheets that are bottom side IPK and top side canvas, again, because when I'm out in the woods I hate being in contact with plastics etc. and am currently refining my kit to be as void of it as possible.

So - anyone tried making their own bivvy or used canvas bivvy bags? Would be good to hear thoughts :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Waxed cotton is a very good material and I've made a lot of things with it over the years and they've all felt good, looked good, performed well and lasted superbly. The downside is weight, it's a really heavy carry and bulky too; when I was young and fit I could deal with that, but..........................

The other thing that, for me and most people I know, became a major issue was that anything you either wear or sleep in will soak you in condensation. Clothing if you're in the least active and a bivvy bag almost always.

Just my experiences with the waxed cotton, and I wouldn't try to put you off trying it; just making you aware :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Canvas rather than waxed would probably suit a sleeping system a bit better. Perhaps contact bilmo-p5 (on this forum) or do a search on (iirc) bilmo bushgear. Link ~ http://www.bilmo.co.uk (pic gallery in link goes to facebook ~ but he's made at least one canvas bedroll ;) )

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I believe Wynnchester make their bed rolls out of Regentex 12 FR a poly cotton blend treated and flame retardant (available at profabrics) expensive but does atleast come in 2m wide rolls.

If want 100% cotton, there is EtaProof. Ventile from another company (don't think Ventile® is made in the UK anymore, our military went to the Swiss Etaproof makers)

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks for the info everyone, I'd probably only make the bottom half from waxed cotton (or even from a cut down IPK since up in scotland its not unheard of to make camp in a bog) and keep the top half untreated for breathability, I won't be using it without a tarp so it doesn't need to be that waterproof. I've used 100% waxed cotton clothing in the past and have found it gets really sweaty really quickly.

Ive just noticed the bilmo for sale on this forum at the moment, I was very tempted but it's a bit much for me! Also my thinking is by making one I can makee it just the right size, using less fabric to keep weight down too.

My current thinking is a layer of IPK on the bottom, then a layer of thin canvas directly on top of that, creating a pocket for a sleeping mat, then heavier canvas above that, acting as the outer shell. Similar to the bilmo design but with IPK material instead of the waxed cotton base. I don't mind having the plasticky material underneath as I wont be in contact with that.

I won't have access to a sewing machine until the end of the month so wont be able to make it until then.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I don't know that IPK can be sewn :dunno: . Obviously it can be sewn through, but whether the sewing makes for tearing?????

And ... my IPK isn't that waterproof ~ if I kneel on it for a while and the ground underneath is wet, after a while so is my knee. Though this could be down to the age and wear that it's taken so far (the sheets, not my knees :p ).

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
That was my worry - I might have to sew a few test pieces before I commit. If it does tear, silnylon or some other waterproof fabric might be a good alternative. probably lighter too.

This is what I'm all about, combining modern methods and materials with traditional materials and styles to create something that has all the advantages of both, the feeling of traditional gear with the functionality of modern. Its why I love my seek outside tent and titanium wood stove so much. It's got the essence and usability of a traditional canvas heated tipi but the whole thing weighs less than 2kg!

I have been camping in some pretty wet places and have found my IPK groundsheet to be pretty waterproof - though it does usually have a foam mat on top of it in most the places I am putting pressure so that might help to spread the weight and stop water being forced through.

I'm feeling good about the functionality of such a bivvy though. It will be great for summer under a tarp with just a thin wool blanket, and will add extra warmth to my sleeping bag for winter when in the tipi. I think I will prefer this system to the larger groudsheet I am currently using but I might have to be more organised with my gear as I won't have the extra tarp floor space to spread everything out on. I think thats just part of making the transition to a floors shelter though.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Have found some 4oz PU nylon material on eBay for quite cheap - I think that would make a good bottom layer, with 7oz canvas for liner and top. the blimos use 14oz canvas but I don't think mine needs to be that heavy duty. Presuming the whole thing is around 1m x 2m it will end up around 1200g which for a canvas bedroll is pretty brilliant. I think the bilmo bedroll is 3kg! And considering in combination with a blanket it replaces a sleeping bag and groundsheet it's barely adding any weight to my system at all!

Essentially it will just be a normal canvas tube with a piece of pu nylon stitched to the underside. I will probably make the join for the pu and canvas come part way up the sides so it creates an almost bathtub shape for the pu. I might also add a tie out bug net over the face section for Scottish summers.

It's difficult to explain so I'll post pictures when I get round to making it!

I might also make a few smaller bits of pu backed canvas with excess material to use as kneel mats or for keeping gear on.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I might also make a few smaller bits of pu backed canvas with excess material to use as kneel mats or for keeping gear on.

I cut one of my IPK sheets down to a more useful size ~ along one side and across the top/bottom width. The off-cuts I use in the manner you mention above, other uses too.

If you want a difinitive waterproof and hard wearing groundsheet have a look at aldi/lidl/etc secondary double glazing film (search also on polycro ;) ). In no way a natural material, but then neither is an IPK sheet :D . It will seem too fimsy to be useful but I've used mine for a good while on leaf litter and such ground and it's still going strong. Would I want it as a walk on surface? Probably not ... but I could put IPK rugs out ;) Oh, and it packs stupidly small and weighs in in the region of wild Haggis flatulence ;)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Forest_Girl,

Sounds like a good MYOG project you're planning there.

I would echo Decorum re use of the IPK material as an under-proof.

I've been using IPKs for decades for various ' alternative' needs (first one was to hold a first field dressing for NI, last one was at the Cheltenham Jazz Fest where the pegs and cord were used to anchor a display board! :lmao:).
Most recently I've been using them for cheap, temp shelters which I don't have to worry about being stolen if I leave them out!

Whilst mechanically quite strong the waterproof aspect can degrade quite quickly when subjected to frequent folding/constant pressure at one point.
You also have to be careful re the quality of those that you purchase as many have been in storage for decades and the plastic coating itself breaks down into a sticky mess!
I would recommend that anyone buying a sealed one opens it before they leave the premises!

Considering the work that you are going to put into the project I think that you are right to use an alternative.:)

Re your layering intention - might I suggest that you leave access (at top or bottom) between the H20 and first canvas layer so that you can slide in extra H20 proofing/insulation i.e. the (thin-ish) German surplus ground ins mat when required? :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There was a guy doing a pilgrimage wearing 'medieval' gear and camping. He did post on facebook exactly what he used. I'll try to see if I can find his posting and copy it here for you. From memory he had a heavy bit of canvas as the bottom layer, then some felted wool.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks everyone, I'll definitely look into my options for alternatives for the waterproof layer. I was a little worried about using more fragile stuff in case i'm camping on rocky surfaces that would shred it but to be honest I don't do that often and if I absolutely had to I could lay down some spruce boughs or forest debris or something similar to protect it. Most of what I camp on is mossy/leafy forest floors and tussocky grass.

Re your layering intention - might I suggest that you leave access (at top or bottom) between the H20 and first canvas layer so that you can slide in extra H20 proofing/insulation i.e. the (thin-ish) German surplus ground ins mat when required? :)

That was my plan! And I can swap out thicker or thinner mats depending on season. The advantage being it wont slip around and everthing can neatly roll up into one bedroll for easy pickup.

mrcharly that would be really good to see if you can find it!

While I'm buying the canvas I think I might buy some extra to make some tool and kit pouches for better camp organisation too. I'm really bad at loosing stuff while out in the woods!!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been back through Steven's posts and I can't find the one where he described his sleeping arrangements. Trouble is, I asked him on facebook and his response was buried in general replies. He was popular during his pilgrimage so there were hundreds and hundreds of responses.
I know he started out just wrapping himself in his cloak and kirtle, but from memory in his response to me he said he had a canvas sheet and was putting that on the ground, then something else.

Here is a link to the post where he describes his clothes:
https://www.facebook.com/steven.payne.3139/posts/10154680356756221

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Began work on the bivvy today, top and bottom panels are cut and I'll start sewing them today

at4kTd0DH.jpg

This photos shows the panels folded to the rough size of the final thing.

at2440o86.jpg

And here is the sheet of PU nylon that will cover the bottom of the bag.

at530PeQ6.jpg

This is a prototype really so I'm not worrying too much about colour. If the sewing is successful I'm going to try dyeing it with natural dyes, we have some oak galls in the garden which, combined with red onion skins should give a good woody brown colour, but I need to experiment with mordants first. I have enough fabric for a second one which I may sell, so if everthing is successful I'll dye that one before I stitch it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE