DIY candle lantern?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Inspired by the 'Best camp lantern?' topic in the kit chatter I thought it would be fun to make a candle lantern myself and use it on my next camping trip :) (where I'm not allowed to make an open fire)
But before I just open up a can of beer or something and put a tea candle in it, could anyone help me design something better? (but about equally cheap)
Or is there really no such thing as a home made SUPER candle lantern for outdoor use?
Maybe your expert* hobo stove building skills can help?

Thanks in advance folks!
Lasse

* I doubt I'm allowed to use that word to describe you guys since a recent topic around here, so if rather not: just replace expert with 'EXTREME!!!' ;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well I took photos, but its no super candle! more of a can with a hole in it. It gets very hot to. that said, two candles in it boiled water (after a very long time) so it could also be a mini stove for a hexiblock if needs be. ill upload photos when i get back

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
The one i use, is made from an old round tin tea caddy. I cut a fair hole in the front to give the arc i wanted, and the height of the candles i use (just cheap household ones)

I butchered another tin to make a revolving liner for it, same size cutout but turns around so i can use the tin for storage as well as a lantern. Finally, i got a couple of metal mirrors (scrapyard vanity mirrors out the passenger sun visors of saab cars) which multiply the light

Im sure others can come up with better designs tho

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Simple candle lantern? Easy.

Take a large coffee can - with the one end cut out. Half way up the side, make an X cut just a tick wider than your candle. Push the little wedged sections in a little. Now push your candle up through that opening - but only sticking into the can a couple inches, leaving the rest sticking out the bottom. So your "lantern" will be that coffee can laying on it's side with the light coming out the open end.

For a "handle", go to the side opposite where you cut the hole for the candle. Punch a hole through by the open end, and then a hole through the side and bottom by the other rim. Take a wire coat hanger apart, bend one end through that front hole and loop it back around the rim. Figure out how much of a bale-type handle you want. Clip the other end a tad longer and hook/loop it through the side and bottom hole by the other rim.

There's your candle lantern. Yes, it directs light in one only one direction. But that's good for walking and working. And the shiny inside of the can help reflect the light out the end. The depth of the can helps protect the burning candle flame from breezes, so keep that hole for it in the middle or back a little farther towards the can bottom. As the candle burns down, just push a little more inside the can. Those "tabs" where you made the cut help hold the candle in place.

With that candle sticking out the bottom, you do have to kind of hang this - as you can't really set it down. But you could fairly easily rig up a couple "legs" from more coat hanger wire sticking out the bottom. And you don't even have to punch holes for that handle or legs. You could wrap the wire completely around the can, and twist tight.

There are drawings of this simple candle lantern in a number of early "camping" books.

Hope you can understand these humble ramblings.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
4 pint milk bottle (plastic)... cut the bottom off, and then cut a small "x" in the cap and shove yer candle in. Gives a lovely diffuse light and costs next-to-nothing.

In fact, I will try to make one this afternoon as a demo :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Like this.

Bottlelamp.jpg

Tied to a tree with string through the handle.

You just have to keep an eye on it as the candle burns down.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I usually make these, out of beer cans....
DSCN2243.jpg

... The longer we camp, the brighter the area gets:D

We use them with tea light style candles. If you cut the window above the height of the candle they do not blow out. Also if you hang them from the ring pull on a piece of string, they turn away from the wind making them even more wind resistant.

Simon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I like these as follows;
Take an empty washed jam jar....
pour in about 1 inch of water
Then pour in about an inch of olive oil
make a wick by drilling a hole in a slice of branch or half a cork
push some string or lamp wick through the hole and float it on top of the oil
Light the wick and tie the jar where you want it.

The lamp burns until the oil is used whereupon the flame is extinguished by the water - same if it gets tipped over or knocked - the water puts the flame out keeping things safe.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I have made quite many lanterns in the way Mike described. But instead I have used smaller cans (baked beans..) and made the X whole in the bottom of the can, and made a window in the side. I also kept the top of the can attached and made a hanger of steel there. Which can fold flat against the can. In the can I could just fit around 3 candles cut in half to transport them. This way it takes very little space, is unbreakable, and not much weight either. Only downside is you have to hang it, it drips, and if you're not careful the candle falls out and might put something on fire. This is not a lantern which you just leave on while you walk away.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I know we all love to make our own kit, and I once made a pretty sophisticated candle lantern out of a small can and used isenglass (mica) to keep it from blowing out. It worked fine but was fairly fragile. My suggestion would be to buy the coghlan's tea candle lantern. They are made in Canada of brass-looking anodized aluminum. They are quite small, very light, and very sturdy. They have a glass globe, which to me is the only way to go. Plastic, etc. sucks. I have had mine for years and have never broke the globe yet. Bonus: They only cost 4-5 dollars U.S. I don't know what that translates to in pounds or euros, but I can tell you this, Its inexpensive. Expect the candle to burn between 4 and 5 hours.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
One of those?
cg_lantern.gif

Actually, I like that. The challenge is getting one over here. I had a quick search and can't find any in the UK :dunno: Unless someone knows better..:thinkerg: .

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coghlans-Candle-Lantern_W0QQitemZ280310586297QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item280310586297&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

there ya go

I usually make them out of beer cans like simon's - then hang them around.
The "wings" make them turn out of the wind so the candle doesn't blow out and the aluminum makes a great reflector.

I love the milk jug idea, but I'd be afraid I'd forget it and burn the forest down!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
jojo's picture is the one I was talking about. I also have a rectangular candle lantern that folds flat and uses a bigger candle, but after I bought the one pictured in jojo's post I never used it again. you will love it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE