Disposing of waste

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Never having caught any `live` food myself, let alone despatch it - I was wondering...
How do you dispose of the unwanted remains of your kill be it a fish, bird or rabbit etc.. Where Ray put the left overs of that reindeer on his Telemark program, heaven knows !

Do you burn it, bury it , put in a bin??

Im not a vegi, but would feel a bit disrespectful if I didnt dispose of it properly, even a humble bunny :-(

Its just something that I have always wondered :oops:

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
You leave it lay so other critters that like that sort of thing can get some benefit from it. Gutpiles seldom last long in the woods if there are carnivores and/or scavengers around.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
Let nature recycle it, just think how quick the flat roadkills disapear, somthing in the woods won't last as long!
Cheers
David

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Id say as above, let the creatures of the forrest benefit from what you can't use, because they surely can. Be it small animals, bugs or bacteria, , something will use it - nature abhores waste.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Cheers guys, guess nature would clear it up - bit of a silly question really.

Shows you how little a kid from `plastic wrapped food` generation knows ! :oops:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
SquirrelBoy said:
Cheers guys, guess nature would clear it up - bit of a silly question really.

Shows you how little a kid from `plastic wrapped food` generation knows ! :oops:
No such thing as a silly question if you don't know the answer, the only sillyness is not asking!
And as one of the plastic wrapped food generation you are doning really well to know a) Meat dosn't originate from the supermarket and b) cutsie little bunnies make some of the best eating there is, I'm a fish eating veggie most of the time as I just don't like most meat but I can't and don't resist the temptation of a nice bit of rabbit or wild venison, or most other game for that matter.
Cheers
David

Mar 2, 2004
magpies crows foxes and rats will soon clear up for you m8.

ps how do you guys cook your rabbit? i bone mine ,cut it into cubes and deepfry it,then empty out the oil -add some water and gravy granules and a tin of sweetcorn...yummy.

but if im outdoors i enjoy a spit roast. with the rabbit i mean! :wink:

Brynglas

the naughty boy said:

ps how do you guys cook your rabbit? i bone mine ,cut it into cubes and deepfry it,then empty out the oil -add some water and gravy granules and a tin of sweetcorn...yummy.

but if im outdoors i enjoy a spit roast. with the rabbit i mean! :wink:[/

I've posted this before, bvut I think it's well worth a go f you get a chance, it's an old Italian hunters recipe from Liguria.

Obviously it depends what ingredients you have to hand, most of these are optional, but the wine and tomato puree are important. Tesco do wine in cans which is great for throwing into your pack, I've also been known to decant a bottle or two into Nalgene bottles for a short trip.

just cut them up into pieces, legs, saddle etc. chuck in a big frying pan and brown lightly.

Add a couple of thinly sliced onions salt and pepper, and if you have some olives a slack handful of them go very well too.

Add a handful of sage and thyme or marjoram, whatever you have, but sage works well.

Add a good glug of wine, whatever you have to hand, oak leaf works very well. put a lid on the pan and leave for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes you can chuck some vegetables in if you like, at home I use artichokes, but any sort of sprouting greens will work, a spoonful of tomato puree and throw the lid back on, fifteen minutes later voila! a feast fit for a king.

I've made this out in the woods and at home it works as well with rabbit and chicken :idea: :)

T

Tumper

Never having caught any `live` food myself, let alone despatch it - I was wondering...
How do you dispose of the unwanted remains of your kill be it a fish, bird or rabbit etc.. Where Ray put the left overs of that reindeer on his Telemark program, heaven knows !

Do you burn it, bury it , put in a bin??

Im not a vegi, but would feel a bit disrespectful if I didnt dispose of it properly, even a humble bunny

I'm always careful not to leave anything where others are likely to see it. In remoter areas it's fine to leave it where you are, but in areas where there is a chance of walkers, etc; stumbling across a pile of viscera, then I like to stick it in the undergrowth. Out of sight from those who think the countryside is lovely, but would be better with a bit of paving.

Brynglas: good recipe, have you tried the addition of prunes, or dates. Works suprisingly well.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Tumper said:
have you tried the addition of prunes, or dates. Works suprisingly well.
Oooh! good idea! I'd be planning on that for my bushcraft dinner - still not had it btw :wink: - except for the rule that it all has to be foraged, home grown or otherwise snaffled. But I'll definitely remember that for next time! :-D

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Tumper said:
I'm always careful not to leave anything where others are likely to see it. In remoter areas it's fine to leave it where you are, but in areas where there is a chance of walkers, etc; stumbling across a pile of viscera, then I like to stick it in the undergrowth. Out of sight from those who think the countryside is lovely, but would be better with a bit of paving.

Yep, good point.
Those who either don't live in the coutryside or don't know it like all the town based folk here seem to regard it as a bit of a theme park and certainly can't cope with the fact nature is red in tooth and claw and we are part of nature.

And, reading what Hugh F-W says in the River Cottage Cookbook about likley reactions if townies (at a guess he didn't specify, but most country folk know tree rats are destructive pests) if they know you shoot grey squirrel, I am left wondering what proportion of the population realises that meat was once a living creature!
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
the naughty boy said:

but if im outdoors i enjoy a spit roast. with the rabbit i mean! :wink:
Out and about it would be spit roast probably. At home I tend to bone it, find whatever other game is lurking in the freezer, chop all the meat into cubes, coat in seasoned flour and shallow fry. Make a stock from all the offcuts, carcasses and edible offal, a few veg and herbs. Chop up some veg like onion, potato, carrot.
Stick the whole lot in a huge dish with a good slug of decent red wine and a spoon full of whole grain mustard, cap it with some puff pastry and bake until done.
If I get to chose my last meal will be a home made game pie!
Cheers
David

Brynglas

Out and about it would be spit roast probably. At home I tend to bone it, find whatever other game is lurking in the freezer, chop all the meat into cubes, coat in seasoned flour and shallow fry. Make a stock from all the offcuts, carcasses and edible offal, a few veg and herbs. Chop up some veg like onion, potato, carrot.
Stick the whole lot in a huge dish with a good slug of decent red wine and a spoon full of whole grain mustard, cap it with some puff pastry and bake until done.
If I get to chose my last meal will be a home made game pie!
Cheers
David[/quote]

The game pie is cetainly in my top ten!!! :clap:

:soapbox:

I think that HFW m,akes some excellent points relating to all meat having to be killed at some point, and that we have become from divorced from the realities of food, kids not knowing that bacon comes from pigs, milk not coming from cows etc.. This is a big shame, particularly when we look at how poor many peoples diet has become, encouraged well and truly by McD's etc.

Personally I'd much rather eat a rabbit/ squirrel/ wood pigeon that has lived a free, natural, mostly organic ( in my area at least!) life than an average supermarket chicken.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
everything said so far is right with regards to letting nature clear it up to the benifit of the local wildlife

remember that if you are trapping rabbits prep them away from your trapping line, you dont want to be attracting foxes to your snares

if you have a natural track trap mud/sand pit etc then you can brush it out and leave the remains in the middle, then come back in the morning and take a look at what animals came visiting in the night (we did this last weekend and found tracks left by fox, polecat and stoat)

you can also use the remains as bait for eel traps and catching crabs
which is what I do down where I trap)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
In a survival situation remember also that the heart, kidneys and liver can all be eaten or added to a stew - boil the bones too - when you scrap the hide use the fat from this for frying or some such - you can even use it as the fuel for a wick lamp.

Larger game you can eat the inner organs - tongue, cheeks - brain etc.

In true wilderness living there is little that is left or classed as waste from a kill and we in the wasteful west would do well to remember this.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Gary said:
In a survival situation remember also that the heart, kidneys and liver can all be eaten or added to a stew - boil the bones too - when you scrap the hide use the fat from this for frying or some such - you can even use it as the fuel for a wick lamp.

Larger game you can eat the inner organs - tongue, cheeks - brain etc.

In true wilderness living there is little that is left or classed as waste from a kill and we in the wasteful west would do well to remember this.
Yep,
Even at home those bits are worth using. According to HFW bunny heart, kidney and liver is really good when lightly fried, mine tends to go into the stock where it adds richness to the flavour.
David

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
[/quote]

I think that HFW m,akes some excellent points relating to all meat having to be killed at some point, and that we have become from divorced from the realities of food, kids not knowing that bacon comes from pigs, milk not coming from cows etc.. This is a big shame, particularly when we look at how poor many peoples diet has become, encouraged well and truly by McD's etc.

Personally I'd much rather eat a rabbit/ squirrel/ wood pigeon that has lived a free, natural, mostly organic ( in my area at least!) life than an average supermarket chicken.[/color][/quote]

Fairly soon we're going to be raising some pigs for food. In my time I've shot or otherwise caught many hundreds (thousands?) of wild beasties of one sort or another and eaten the vast majority of them. But I've never grown one from a baby up to the point where I kill it for food.

My wife and I both agree that we should be able to kill and process them ourselves, (home kill for home consumption is legal in Scotland once again) that it is tantamount to hiring a hitman to send it off to the slaughterhouse. If I can't do it then I should give up meat.

I don't know how I will feel about it when the time comes. I sense that for me it is very different looking at a bunny through the sights or picking up a rabbit from a snare than it is to tie down an animal that you've know since it was young and popping it with the .22

What do the rest of you think?

George

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
On the first ever survival / E&E i did in the army I was a fresh faced lad of 18 and part of the course was that they gave us all a rabbit. Said Rabbit had to be named and carried with us for a couple of days - mine was a fluffy little fellow I named George (honestly).

Anyway at one of the many RV's were we instructed to kill our rabbits and butcher them - many soldiers (hard men or not) seem to have lost there rabbits along the way.

George however dutifully met his maker and I felt guilty as hell but - and here is my point - I showed him the greatest of respect, I even buried his skin, legs and head.

With your porkers or any animal I think the same rule should apply, as long as your respectful, dont cause unnecessary suffering - then you should be able to kill and consume it with a clear conscience.

When it comes to the kill dont let your feelings get in the way either - be firm and kill cleanly.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Mar 2, 2004
why waste a bullet m8,havent you seen carrie?
just kidding, you just need to be completly sane about the whole thing.human emotion and reaction are the hardest things to get over when accomplishing a target sometimes.it wont be easy to do and even harder if you give them names! it would be like me eating my tropical fish....Hmmm ....
think nike...just do it! :-D

and hope they dont haunt you :shock:

Mar 2, 2004
one more thing...if you think you cant do it then you,ll end up with two very fat very old pigs draining your assets.expensive pets or delicious tasty bacon and chops?

pass the apple sauce m8 :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE