Disposing of Teabags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
(I'm not sure if this is in the right place. I mean, it's about tea, but not making it. Let me know, Mods!)

Okay so I'm a tea person. In the morning I need a good cuppa to get me going, and I imagine that next year's week-long camping trip to Scotland won't prove to be any exception to the rule.

But I will be honest, I have no idea what to do with my used teabags when I'm out there! Can you bury them? Do you dry them out and stuff them in your little bag of rubbish to dispose of later? Throw them on the stove and use them as fuel?

Very interested to hear suggestions. I'm not a fan of loose tea (seems too messy; a light wind and I might end up covered in the stuff hahaha), or coffee.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I burn mine, they also make great tinder if you dry them out, i drink a lot of tea when out and about in the wilds

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Bah Dave how could you?? :lmao:I haven't had granulated instant tea in years but last time i did it was foul

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
:) Hi Rachel, yes I thnk you havehit the nail on the head. There must be a trick to it though, as when my mate makes it before we go fishing sitting on the back of his boot pulling on our waders, its tastes great! When Ive made it though it only barely tastes like tea. But for transporting around its convenient. Deffo worth a go anyway I think. Good Luck!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah good tip as well is take your favourite tea bags with you when you go to USA as you can't buy good teabags there for love or money, i took 480 PG Tips with me for a 6 week trip

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i almost ran out of tea bags, that would have led to sleepless nights for sure

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats over 10 tea bags per day. Presumably you use Yorkshire Tea?

Ive seen you GGT, online at 3-4am on BCUSA.....:)

Are you a bit of an insomniac then mate?

Oh...your a PG tips man. Im not a fan of the scented perfumed Twinings varieties. Has to b a builders tea. Spoon stands up by itself.

Last edited:

forestwalker

Another alternative is loose leaf tea and a filter. For black teas one of the "mesh ball spoons" work very well, for the green japanese teas you need greater volume and need to use somethjing else (they need to expand a lot more in order to develop flavoiur propoerly).

If you have a larger filter then you can easier use wild teas picked on the spot as well...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
no sugar for me just milk, i learnt to like powdered milk when i am out in the field

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thats over 10 tea bags per day. Presumably you use Yorkshire Tea?

Ive seen you GGT, online at 3-4am on BCUSA.....:)

Are you a bit of an insomniac then mate?

Oh...your a PG tips man. Im not a fan of the scented perfumed Twinings varieties. Has to b a builders tea. Spoon stands up by itself.

yeah mate due to my back issues i don't get much sleep at all, i like Yorkshire tea too but it is expensive and i always seem to catch the large boxes of PG on special offer

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh it is expensive. But on that course in Sweden, someone had left behind a box of Yorkshire tea, but all the dutch and swedish would drink were the twinings raspberry, etc, bloody wierd.

I soon had them on the idea of sugar and milk. I think Ive run out of stuff to say about Tea now. :coffee::theyareon

No Europeans seem to know what a sausage is either. But thats another thread for the future!

A full english breakfast does not include a cold plate of beans and a frankfurter!!!!:mad:

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Generally speaking I use loose leaf tea now. I've become a tea snob. Just have a tea infuser (comically shaped like a little bloke) and pour the used leaves out, I refuse to believe tea is environmentally unsound when it's rotting down. I could however literally kill for a cup at the moment. If I find a used bag on this dump don't anyone judge me!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you tried the dried/granules Turkish style lemon or apple tea from Aldi/Lidl? It's mainly sugar but gives a nice lift on a misserable day. You could also always try making tea from what you forage. Nettle, larch/pine needles, wild mint and so on then you don't have to worry about introducing foreign matter into fragile environments. (Things like banana skins on high-ish mountain tops annoys me as they breakdown and affect the delicate balance of the soil).
Though I love a good cuppa tea or coffee most of the time I just drink boiled water these days. You could always drop a Tic-Tac® or Polo® into the water if you want a minty drink of a boiled sweet if you want something fruity or medicinal like horehound. Boiled sweets and the likes leaves you nothing to dispose of afterwards.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE