Disposing of Teabags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......No Europeans seem to know what a sausage is either. But thats another thread for the future!

A full english breakfast does not include a cold plate of beans and a frankfurter!!!!:mad:

LOL. This coming from a country that has a reputation for the world's worst sausage. Mind you, I liked most British sausage well enough, but very few others did.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
LOL. This coming from a country that has a reputation for the world's worst sausage. Mind you, I liked most British sausage well enough, but very few others did.

Think that was a hang up from WWII bangers which were pretty rubbish. The UK sausage market was pretty much single handedly kickstarted by a South African butcher who was dissapointed when he moved here in the early 80's. Started selling good quality bangers & wurst and it caught on & blossomed. Now I'd say our snorkers are right up there with the best of them. No more sawdust & gristle.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Think that was a hang up from WWII bangers which were pretty rubbish. The UK sausage market was pretty much single handedly kickstarted by a South African butcher who was dissapointed when he moved here in the early 80's. Started selling good quality bangers & wurst and it caught on & blossomed. Now I'd say our snorkers are right up there with the best of them. No more sawdust & gristle.

Possibly so; I left in 1989. As I said though, I did like them well enough.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use them to scrub my dirty pans/mug with.Takes most of the blackish muck off Tea bags ie not Sauages:lmao:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Though I love a good cuppa tea or coffee most of the time I just drink boiled water these days.

Woah, easy there you raving party animal :p hehe. I don't have my tea strong (it's '**** weak' as my friend says), but that's extreme even for me hehehe.

I just tear them open and spread the leaves, burning the bags later once they've dried.

I like this idea! I imagine the outer layer dries pretty fast on its own. Might try it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Of course if you were a miserly Scot it'd be one teabag per week, just used over and over. (Though when visiting Edinburgh they just assume you've had it afore arriving :D )

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Rachael,

Diversifying slightly from your OP but still relevant I think:

Have you tried 'white' tea?
That's not tea with milk but a variety of tea. It is drunk with no milk (or sugar for that matter) - keep reading it's not like black tea!
I was introduced to it many years ago when a tea company rep explained it to me like this -

Bud of the tea plant - picked before opening therefore leaf suffers no oxidation = highest quality tea (very mild) = white tea;
Leaf of the tea plant - picked just after opening therefore light oxidation = next best quality = i.e. green tea;
Leaf of the tea plant - picked at stages after opening therefore varying degrees of oxidation = other well known teas;
All of that comes ahead of how the leaves are processed/blended which gives flavours/strengths etc.
Tea bags, he explained contain all the finings lost through the processing methods (sometimes swept out from within the machinery!) and which can't be sold as 'leaf' tea.

Apparently white tea (as above) has the highest content of ant-wotsits and is really good for you.

Surprisingly - I found that after being a NATO standard bloke for decades (milk and two sugars!) after only a short period of trying 'white tea' I was converted. I was told an interesting way to judge when the water was at the right temp before pouring it on the tea and I actually found that if you let the tea cool off a bit it is so smooth that you might think that you are drinking tea with milk. (It is a million miles away from being as bitter as green tea). (Plus - no sugar means an extra biscuits too!). Chez moi we use loose leaf white tea but I have to confess that I do use white tea tea bags! when I'm out and about which are either emptied and burned after use or plakky bagged and taken back home. Notably you have to leave the bag in the water and brew it for an extraordinary amount of time before it becomes too strong to drink (way past the 8 minutes! that I recently saw recommended to get ALL the good stuff out of the tea!
Hope that adds to your tea expertise! :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye Up Rachael,

That's not tea with milk but a variety of tea. It is drunk with no milk (or sugar for that matter) - keep reading it's not like black tea!
I was introduced to it many years ago when a tea company rep explained it to me like this -

Bud of the tea plant - picked before opening therefore leaf suffers no oxidation = highest quality tea (very mild) = white tea;
Leaf of the tea plant - picked just after opening therefore light oxidation = next best quality = i.e. green tea;
Leaf of the tea plant - picked at stages after opening therefore varying degrees of oxidation = other well known teas;
All of that comes ahead of how the leaves are processed/blended which gives flavours/strengths etc.
Tea bags, he explained contain all the finings lost through the processing methods (sometimes swept out from within the machinery!) and which can't be sold as 'leaf' tea.

Apparently white tea (as above) has the highest content of ant-wotsits and is really good for you.

Surprisingly - I found that after being a NATO standard bloke for decades (milk and two sugars!) after only a short period of trying 'white tea' I was converted. I was told an interesting way to judge when the water was at the right temp before pouring it on the tea and I actually found that if you let the tea cool off a bit it is so smooth that you might think that you are drinking tea with milk. (It is a million miles away from being as bitter as green tea). (Plus - no sugar means an extra biscuits too!). Chez moi we use loose leaf white tea but I have to confess that I do use white tea tea bags! when I'm out and about which are either emptied and burned after use or plakky bagged and taken back home. Notably you have to leave the bag in the water and brew it for an extraordinary amount of time before it becomes too strong to drink (way past the 8 minutes! that I recently saw recommended to get ALL the good stuff out of the tea!
Hope that adds to your tea expertise! :D

A bit like the "monkey" teas (suposedly picked by trained monkeys :rolleyes: ) but the first infussion you pour away and drink the successively weaker infusions. Lovely stuff and though not cheap as you get a fair few drinks per mask of leaves it works out not too bad. You will need a pot with a filter of take a strainer though. Lovely delicate tea though and worth a try. Still have to disperse/burn/pack out the leaves though. At home they got spread onto my plant pots. :D

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Have you tried the dried/granules Turkish style lemon or apple tea from Aldi/Lidl? It's mainly sugar but gives a nice lift on a misserable day. You could also always try making tea from what you forage. Nettle, larch/pine needles, wild mint and so on then you don't have to worry about introducing foreign matter into fragile environments. (Things like banana skins on high-ish mountain tops annoys me as they breakdown and affect the delicate balance of the soil).
Though I love a good cuppa tea or coffee most of the time I just drink boiled water these days. You could always drop a Tic-Tac® or Polo® into the water if you want a minty drink of a boiled sweet if you want something fruity or medicinal like horehound. Boiled sweets and the likes leaves you nothing to dispose of afterwards.

Really? I find that very odd. Obviously never had a cumberland!

That's what SHE said.

(couldn't resist lmao)

Which sausages are those really big ones? Lancashire?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
you still out then mick, I thought you were working in the morning? that question is moot.... sorry got thread lagg Multitasking with kids tea's etc.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye Up

That's not tea with milk but a variety of tea.

Yes I am a fan of white tea, not had it for a while though the shop I used to buy it from discontinued that line & I've not seen it for a while, only tea I drink now is green, I hate bitter tea? In my experience Green tea only starts to become bitter if it's infused for more than 30 seconds....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? I find that very odd. Obviously never had a cumberland!

Definitely don't remember one. bangers and chipolatas (if I spelled that right?) are the main things I remember. As I said, I liked them well enough, but for most non-Brits they're just a bit bland.

That's what SHE said.

(couldn't resist lmao)

Which sausages are those really big ones? Lancashire?

goodjob

No, theyre the cumberland ones.

Just looked them up and the pix look like out ordinary smoked sausages. Are they as finely ground as bangers? Or courser like ours?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The big ring/spiral type that taste slightly off.... Sorry I mean slightly sage filled. ;)

You mean like proper sausage is supposed to taste? Well, sage and hot pepper filled.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Think I can find some "instant white tea" from mod ration pack if you want to try before you buy a jar of the stuff?

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Thanks to another member here I've tried the MOD ration stuff and it ain't bad (not like real tea, but not bad) That said, it still leaves you with the pouch to dispose of; arguably more difficult than anything in a teabag which is all burnable or biodegradable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE