Disposing of Teabags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
At first I just returned them to the compost bin…..but after two goes through the thing, over two Summers, I gave up, literally pulled out every blasted one by hand and put them in the non-recycle bin.
They just don't break down well at all. I think there must be some plastic in them :dunno:

You do know that you can buy fill your own bags ? and they're washable and re-useable. I use them for home made mint or raspberry tea, and being the thrifty Scot that I am, I do re-use them :)
http://nbtea.co.uk/store/accessories/176-personal-tea-bags-5055574309658.html

On t'other hand, one of these has to be the handiest tea strainer on the planet,
http://nbtea.co.uk/store/accessories/172-tea-infuser.html

M

Yeah, most common brands do. Have read some people put them through a blender first, before composting. But still :/

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Most of my tea is loose, I generaly buy the good Chinese stuff when I can get it cheap.

British tea does not cut the ice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like basic Chinese Gunpowder tea :) I like the Russian caravanserai stuff too though.
Home packed teabags make life easy when out. No fuss to carry good tea that way.

M

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
British tea does not cut the ice.

200_s.gif

Does not compuuuute ;) hehehe.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do none of you drink cold tea? Doesn't get 'round disposal of bags/leaves in the house but cuts it out in the field. Lots of farmworkers used to take a bottle of cold tea out for the day. Sometimes take a bottle of cold black out myself.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like cold tea, but then I don't like milk in mine. We used to take a bottle of cold tea with us in Summer when off out. Very refreshing….and ginger wasn't an everyday when I was little anyway.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ginger :D you know that'll confuse the heck out of the non Scots?
Reminds me of the old story.
Young Glasgow lad starts going out with a posh Edinburgh lass. A few weeks down he gets asked out to a posh resteraunt to meet her parents and he's on his best behaviour to try and impress the snobby folks.
They're having mellon ball starters when the waiter comes round holding a grater in his hands, "Would Sir like ginger with that?"
Panicking the wee lad looks round at everyone and says "Nah it's alright I'll stick to wine like everyone else."

Like I say maybe you have to be a Scot of a certain age group for that one. A bottle of ginger/scoosh was a rare thing though wasn't it, mind the lorries with the lads hanging off the back running 'round where-ever they stopped going door to to see what you wanted and to pickup the empties? Was run by Strathmore Spring up by us, the folks who made Pola Cola, still remember the adds with the polar bear that looked like the one in the Foxes Glacier Mints add. "It's frothy man!" ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do none of you drink cold tea? Doesn't get 'round disposal of bags/leaves in the house but cuts it out in the field. Lots of farmworkers used to take a bottle of cold tea out for the day. Sometimes take a bottle of cold black out myself.

I like cold tea, but then I don't like milk in mine. We used to take a bottle of cold tea with us in Summer when off out. Very refreshing….and ginger wasn't an everyday when I was little anyway.

M

Love iced tea, but I kinda grossed out a bit when Mary mentioned the possibility of milk in it!? Love milk in hot tea, but iced tea should be plain or at most sweet and possibly with lemon or lime.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
But I will be honest, I have no idea what to do with my used teabags when I'm out there! Can you bury them? Do you dry them out and stuff them in your little bag of rubbish to dispose of later? Throw them on the stove and use them as fuel?

If I have a fire going, I stick the used bag on the fire. But most of the time, I just throw it into the undergrowth. If no undergrowth, it goes a trowel deep into the ground.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong that is.

On a related note, I have found that Dairy Stix Work well as a way of having decent tea when in the bush. I can bring you a handful to try in November if you want?

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hehe, it's okay Julia in most places I don't think the odd teabag will do a lot of harm. Would say in sensitive environments to pack it out though. High alpine, low oxygen soil environments and other where the chemical balance is fragile I'd avoid it. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly Julia, the blasted things do not rot down in any reasonable time frame, and from what folks are saying there's plastic in them.

Rather puts me off using them to be honest. Going to have a think on this, and make more use of my teacup filter.

M

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
If I have a fire going, I stick the used bag on the fire. But most of the time, I just throw it into the undergrowth. If no undergrowth, it goes a trowel deep into the ground.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong that is.

On a related note, I have found that Dairy Stix Work well as a way of having decent tea when in the bush. I can bring you a handful to try in November if you want?

J

Dairy Stix are great, we have those at work. Never considered bringing 'em camping though, good idea!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Dairy Stix. Sounds like a milky river of death that Charon will ferry me across in the end in my head. :D

As someone who doesn't use milk in tea & coffee apart for when I have guests are Dairy Stix a powder or a liquid? Please excuse my ignorance?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Dairy Stix. Sounds like a milky river of death that Charon will ferry me across in the end in my head. :D

As someone who doesn't use milk in tea & coffee apart for when I have guests are Dairy Stix a powder or a liquid? Please excuse my ignorance?

Milky river of death... Mellow Birds again???

Dairy Stix are whole or UHT milk in little sachets that you tear open. Better tasting than the 'milk flavored' stuff you get in some of the little foil topped pots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Ferret, have seen something like them but didn't know their name.
Gotta stop mentioning Mellow Birds as I have an involintary gag reflex every time I think of it. It would be just my luck to be washed up on an island somewhere with only a jar of it surviving. Think I would talk to it rather than drink it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE