Dismantled Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BCpete

I went out to the garden this evening and intended to carve a spoon, after starting one i found a split in the handle which would obsorb moisture and i just wanted it to be perfect, so i started another and yes the same happened.So i looked down and saw my mora and thought, ive got some coming in the mail so why not...dismantle it and see what it looks like!

I tried smashing it and bashing it and so on until i broke the blade off!, never mind the handle, so i thought id get a hammer and clamped it in a vice and smashed the handle off (safely!) then i was left with this:

You can see that the tang is near enough as long as the blade and you can see where its snapped off and been put back together.

i hope you enjoyed this:D

pete

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
There are plenty of posts showing the Mora blades (which may even be bought sans handle) so quite why you destroyed a perfectly good knife is a bit of a mystery!
duh.gif

Google Images would show you quite a few too!
happy0123.gif

And no, I didn't enjoy it. I respect tools, even inexpensive tools, perhaps one day you may learn to do the same, if that ever happens, maybe you could write a post about it!
clap.gif

B

BCpete

hahahaha,

thanks for the comments, and helix if you had read the post correctly i said i had more coming in the mail and this was an old one so i had really no nead for it and the handle was already split because ive had it for years which i forgot to mention in the post, after all the thread was called "dismantled mora" so what were you expecting?

and asa samuel its a mora 510

pete

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Pete

I know a guy that runs a good anger management course if you are interested :D :welcome:

I'm probably going to have to take the handle off my son's Mora soon as he has managed to damage it.:eek:

Phill :umbrella:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
If the handle in question is epoxied on, you can chuck it in a can of water and heat. Then put the blade in a vice and give he handle a tug.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... helix if you had read the post correctly i said i had more coming in the mail and this was an old one so i had really no nead for it and the handle was already split because ive had it for years which i forgot to mention in the post, after all the thread was called "dismantled mora" so what were you expecting?......

I did read your post correctly, thats how I saw that you had more knives coming in the mail, it was also how I saw that you made no mention of the age of the knife, nor that the handle was damaged.

I tried smashing it and bashing it and so on until i broke the blade off!, never mind the handle, so i thought id get a hammer and clamped it in a vice and smashed the handle off......

Given the thread title, I was expecting a Dismantled Mora, not, a Destroyed Mora!

B

BCpete

Yeah helix, i know where you're coming from as i didnt give any notice on the age and the original damage as you say, and that while trying to dismantle it trying to get the handle off i broke the blade inestead!

so as you say more of a destroy than a dismantle:(but an attempted dismantle gone wrong?!

pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Branco - how on earth did you do that mate? My Jonsson moras have the handle attached the same way and most of the time I resort to grinding that roll pin off even without the handle as an obstruction :p

Pete

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I did read your post correctly, thats how I saw that you had more knives coming in the mail, it was also how I saw that you made no mention of the age of the knife, nor that the handle was damaged.

Given the thread title, I was expecting a Dismantled Mora, not, a Destroyed Mora!

A lot of people have this intrinsic need to see how things are inside, if they own what they are taking apart (in whatever way they choose) then it's their decision entirely. In school we have formal 'disassembly' activities to see this very process.

Wether the chap is wasteful, demonic in his need to destroy or just very interested in how they work isn't worth getting upset about, and certainly not worth ranting on a forum about.

IMHO of course. It may be wasteful, but it could lead to things and knowledge is the key is it not?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE