Dismantled Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Branco - how on earth did you do that mate? My Jonsson moras have the handle attached the same way and most of the time I resort to grinding that roll pin off even without the handle as an obstruction :p

Pete

Once I have the handle off I just put the tang on my "anvil" (rail line) withe the open side of the pin upwards and belt it with a hammer - the pin opens up and falls off - quick and easy!
The handles go in my Hobo firewood box.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Got Pics? :cool:

No pics but

Lay the edge of the axe on the shoulder of the handles grip with the axehead layed alongside the blade....have the but of the handle against an immovable object....hit the poll of the axe with a mallet...the axe drives into the handle, shating down the side of the tang...both your hands should be safely out of reach of the blade! Tape up the blade or put a cork on the tip to ensure safety...
Turn knife over and repeat if nessessary!
With a wooden handle with a ferrule I work from the butt end....

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Where's the roll pin come from,mine the tang is just peened over a washer at the end of the handle. Tightening the blade up in the handle just involves hammering the end of the tang, removing the handle involves filing off the deformed end, the birch handle just slides off.

But how a blade is attached to a handle, the methods used is easy to understand.

The only time I would destroy a knife, would be to ''kill'' it, render it unuseable if I was disposing of it, that way, it found it's way into the wrong hands, it would be pretty useless in it's original design.

Perhaps if more people did that with blades when they had no more use, it would lessen the number out there in the wrong hands, as a knife without a handle, is just a bit of shaped metal, no longer a knife.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Perhaps if more people did that with blades when they had no more use, it would lessen the number out there in the wrong hands, as a knife without a handle, is just a bit of shaped metal, no longer a knife.

Ever seen what prison inmates do with a piece of rag, a broken plastic lunch tray and a concrete floor? No metal needed.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Ever seen what prison inmates do with a piece of rag, a broken plastic lunch tray and a concrete floor? No metal needed.

Yeah, we all know what desperate hands are capable of doing, but am thinking more along the lines of the little toe rag who likes to go around stabbing people for kudos.

In fact, if you know any little knife wielding toe rag, tell them the knife is only good if it survives the snap test.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
A lot of people have this intrinsic need to see how things are inside, if they own what they are taking apart (in whatever way they choose) then it's their decision entirely. In school we have formal 'disassembly' activities to see this very process.

Wether the chap is wasteful, demonic in his need to destroy or just very interested in how they work isn't worth getting upset about, and certainly not worth ranting on a forum about.

IMHO of course. It may be wasteful, but it could lead to things and knowledge is the key is it not?

Yeah helix, i know where you're coming from as i didnt give any notice on the age and the original damage as you say, and that while trying to dismantle it trying to get the handle off i broke the blade inestead!

so as you say more of a destroy than a dismantle:(but an attempted dismantle gone wrong?!

pete

Dougster,

I expressed a reasoned, objective point which the OP has agreed with in the above quote.

My post bears no resemblance whatsoever to "ranting on a forum about."

Strangely, what you quote as "ranting on a forum about.", the OP agrees with my point about, and has actually said so, in his post, made the day before you accuse me of ranting!

On the basis of this, I respectfully disagree with you.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Branco - how on earth did you do that mate? My Jonsson moras have the handle attached the same way and most of the time I resort to grinding that roll pin off even without the handle as an obstruction :p

Pete
Pete
For this I resorted to holding the blade in the vice and tapping the handle further onto the balde then with the handle clamped in the vice and drove a srewdriver into spring clip to widen it then pulled it off with long nosed pliers.
I have a 106 I am going to rehandle and I think I will sit it in the vice losely so it rests on the bolster and try and push the blade out with a hammer and punch

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Once I have the handle off I just put the tang on my "anvil" (rail line) withe the open side of the pin upwards and belt it with a hammer - the pin opens up and falls off - quick and easy!
The handles go in my Hobo firewood box.....
Ahh nicely done :D

Pete
For this I resorted to holding the blade in the vice and tapping the handle further onto the balde then with the handle clamped in the vice and drove a srewdriver into spring clip to widen it then pulled it off with long nosed pliers.
I have a 106 I am going to rehandle and I think I will sit it in the vice losely so it rests on the bolster and try and push the blade out with a hammer and punch

Clever, I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way :D Is the handle damaged, or is it reusable?

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE