Diseased Sessile Acorns?

Mang

Settler
I've noticed a lot of the 'aliens' in the LHS of the image on Oaks down here (I think they've all been Sessile Oaks). Are the Acorns diseased or is it something benign?

small_sessile_aliens.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire

I'll second that.
You get gall wasps of various species living all over the Oak, in the buds, under leaves, fruits and they disfigure the part they are in. They dont damage the tree much though, thats why they produce so many acorns, leaves ect so that many species of fauna can live off of them.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Knopper gall is one of the commonest and sometimes a high percentage of acorns are affected. Your oak looks more like pedunculate to me, sessile means no stalk on the acorns, whereas the one with the galls clearly have long stalks or "peduncles". Sessile is more common in the west and on acid soils. I would expect mostly pedunculate in Herts.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
My oak (Pedunculate) has far more of these than regular acorns this year whis is annoying as i was planning on making some coffee this autumn. so do these have a negative affect on the tree?
George

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Somewhere within wasp flying distance will be a Turkey oak (or derivitive like the Fulham oak) that the knopper gall wasp requires to complete its life cycle, get rid of that and the Sessiles do far better.

I was chuffed to bits when a load of acorns I found grew in pots in my garden, I was even more pleased when I spotted one had leaves with a slightly different shape.

When I worked out what it was I read up on Turkey oaks and my beautifull young Turkey oak is now currently residing in the compost bin:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE