Digital Camera suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
Have a look at www.digital-cameras.com, they are the cheapest place i've found for cameras.
I'm getting the canon powershot A85 for xmas and as far as i can tell its the best one for the money, with loads of good reviews.

cheers

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've heard good things about the Hewlett packard 945,apparently it has a new feature that fixes the exposure so that the actual picture looks more like what our own eyes see rather than how a camera sees it.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I've been looking at digital cameras as well. I found one with Leica lens, 12X zoom, dual mode Image stabilization, F2.8 across the entire zoom range and some other goodies (including the usual SWMBO required "keep it under this" price). All so I can take up a passion of mine (outdoor photography) with a much better camera than the old Agfa I'm using now. This site has a lot of good comparison reviews and is where I found the Panasonic DMC-FZ20.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Excellent you may be able to help me too chaps.
The missus is planning to get a digi cam - she has her eye on the Nikon coolpix 4100 or 4200 (can't remember which it was) but just looking at the Fuji Finepix in the same price range you've got the A340 and the E500

What do you think? Fuji better? I don't really know about the card types but that should be a consideration too I guess (if only I knew what to consider :eek:): )

Ta.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
The best camera on the market right now is the Canon IXUS 500. Had 2 Finepix but for size and quality Canon is the way to go.

Iain

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I have had a Canon A80 powershot for almost a year. It is a good product for it's capabilities. Views of mountains far away it wont do, but close ups of flowers, bugs, fauna it does well. Sometimes it moves a little slow for me, just because I used an SLR prior. Body is supose to have have aluminum in it. Doesn't feel like it. The A95 is the newer model and has 5 meg.pxls. Someday I will mate it with a dig.slr. Right now it fits in vests pockets well for my rambles.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Well worth checking out a few digital camera reveiw sites mate. Couple of the best are:

Digital Camera Resource

and probably the best one:

Digital Photography Review

Both do excellent and detailed reviews on all sorts of cameras and honest opinions. You REALLY need to work out what you want from the camera and consider also storage capacity of the camera, how it is recharged and decent battery life/ cost of spares (always worth searching google and ebay for cheaper options) especially for outdoor use. Also consider the knocks it is likely to receive in use which I feel tends to be a big disadvantage of smaller, lighter cameras which, whilst are more portable, are a lot less likely to withstand the knocks and bumps. Avoid gizmos and go for the best lens quality/ build quality and simple functionality :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Most important of all - you've got to have the camera with you, not sitting at home when the picture appears.

This pushed me over to the canon ixus compacts some years back. All my gallery pics are taken on a £200 4 mpix digital ixus and photoshopped down to size. 3x optical zoom, macro, and multizone focussing. I'm more than happy with what I get out of this tiny box of tricks. Carry it in one of the smallest otterboxes so that it's waterproof and well protected. It's still small enough that I usually DO have it with me :biggthump

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
alick said:
Most important of all - you've got to have the camera with you, not sitting at home when the picture appears.

This pushed me over to the canon ixus compacts some years back. All my gallery pics are taken on a £200 4 mpix digital ixus and photoshopped down to size. 3x optical zoom, macro, and multizone focussing. I'm more than happy with what I get out of this tiny box of tricks. Carry it in one of the smallest otterboxes so that it's waterproof and well protected. It's still small enough that I usually DO have it with me :biggthump
Thats exactly why I bought a Canon Ixus400 - smashing little cameras although they do feel heavy for the size.
I also bought a spare memory card 265mb as the one that came with it was 32mb and I didnt want to worry about how many pics ive got left. This always travels with me.

Hey Alick - is there much space left in the Otterbox to fit in other bits etc..? Or is it a camera only fit..? Id be interested to know as I have mine in a LowePro D-Res 8s pouch which although well padded and shower resistant its not waterproof.
Cheers :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I have a fujifilm s5000. All the pics in my gallery are taken on it but if they are rubbish that is probably my fault not the camera.

Do a Kelkoo search for the best price. check what extras you get. A 16mb card will need changing straight away.

Bill

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
tenbears10 said:
I have a fujifilm s5000. All the pics in my gallery are taken on it but if they are rubbish that is probably my fault not the camera.

Do a Kelkoo search for the best price. check what extras you get. A 16mb card will need changing straight away.

Bill
You sure will have to change the card - 16 Mb won't hold 1 full res picture!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Nigel - I already had a case (actually a Peli 1010 microcase, sorry) before I bought the camera so I use that. They're under £15 quid anyway.

Bottom and sides are lined in silicon rubber which also makes the seal. I cut a rectangle of closed cell foam and put that in the lid to fill up the excess depth (nearly a centimetre) and stop the camera from rubbing against the clear lid. The interior of the case is maybe 8-10mm wider and higher the camera so there's room for the wrist strap. You would easily be able to fit a few spare CF cards in the lid of the case but I don't think there'd be room to squeeze in a spare battery without it having to rub against the camera.

The peli 1010 feels like it almost doubles the volume of the camera - the ixus is so small - but it's still a small case and no bigger than several other cameras unprotected. There are a few versions of the microcase so if you want to carry spares, there should be one that will fit everything in. Since we can't avoid getting wet, it gives a lot of confidence. :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have had a few and I'm currently on a FujiFilm F601 and I think it's brilliant. Small, decent resolution (psudo 6Mp), reasonable battery life and gived really good results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE