Useful radio suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2021
Winchester
Hello guys, hands-on EDC-type suggestions welcomed. I want to include a small radio in my emergency kit. Objective is picking up broadcasts, not two-way communications. I definitely need FM and would like digital, but I'm aware that it often means poor battery life.

My expectation was that I'd find some modern equivalent of the coin-sized SInclair X1 FM radio earphone I had 20 years ago. I found a couple for sale in the US, but no writeups and anyway nothing importable.

Second-best would be a pocket-sized box with a solar panel, and ideally an output that would let me charge other stuff. I'd rather not have a crank handle, since they add a lot of bulk. Once again, not much this side of the pond.

Third-best would be some small battery-powered device. I guess AAA batteries would make for easy recharging. (I think the CountyComm radio looks fantastic but don't want a device that needs a mains charger.) I can see offerings from four or five different makers on Amazon but would appreciate any recommendations or warnings.

Best, N.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Dec 18, 2021
Winchester
Thx Billy. The writeup on the Roberts is that the older FM-only version was excellent and the DAB version is OK. I'm havering about DAB; I'd miss Radio6 but this is an emergency radio...

Reactions: billycoen

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
the CountyComm radio looks fantastic but don't want a device that needs a mains charger.
AFAIK the countycomm GP-5 worked off of AA batteries, although it did have an inbuilt NiMH battery charger.

The countycomm radios were based off the Tecsun PL-3 series of radios, which seem to be a bit more readily available in the UK than the countycomm versions. I can't say I'd recommend the Tecsun PL-365 (that the Countycomm GP-5 was based off of) for an emergency radio: there are a lot of poorly labelled small buttons and it is quite complicated to use for an emergency radio.

Edit: I've just realised that countycomm have brought out a newer version, called the GP7, the GP5 was the version before that, which was AA powered.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thx Billy. The writeup on the Roberts is that the older FM-only version was excellent and the DAB version is OK. I'm havering about DAB; I'd miss Radio6 but this is an emergency radio...

One problem is that in some remote areas (including some of the hills around here) we can't receive digital radio, so the FM function is a must IMO. Ideally it would include MW & LW.

Dec 18, 2021
Winchester
Thanks all esp. Photonician. I wasn't aware of the older GP5. An AA-powered version would suit me well. If you're not keen on the Tecsun, would you recommend anything in the same line? Best, N.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks all esp. Photonician. I wasn't aware of the older GP5. An AA-powered version would suit me well. If you're not keen on the Tecsun, would you recommend anything in the same line? Best, N.
No worries! If I'm honest, I'm not that familiar with the other Tecsun PL models, a quick look online suggests that their other models seem to share similar controls (slightly easier to see and use on the larger models, I'd hope) and features (like the automatic tune feature, which was pretty cool on the shortwave bands). The bigger ones are pretty expensive new however, and I think targeted more to radio enthusiasts... I haven't got any other good recommendations sorry!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The Tecsun radios are good and take AA’s. I use an Xhdata radio

EDCGEAR sell some of the radios Countycomm sell, they’re out of stock at the minute https://www.edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CCN10

a quick search for shortwave radio on eBay gives lo of result. Nevada radio in Portsmouth had these

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
a quick search for shortwave radio on eBay gives lo of result. Nevada radio in Portsmouth had these

That's the kind of thing I would consider as an emergency radio :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE