Digital Camera suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Can anyone suggest a good compact Digi camera, must have a close up facility, i've been looking at the cannon ones but theres so many others to choose from, and being a Libran I cant make my filppin mind up! :roll: what ones do you guys n gals use?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have a nikon coolpix 3.1 which for the money may be the best around. A geeky person who knows lots about the circuits thinks they use better quality bits then a lot of others at that price point.
There are of course much better ones around but not for £150 that these are now.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I had a SLR canon digital camera that knocked out high resolution pictures almost as good as 35mm and used all the ordinary Canon lenses, but even though it was insured I rarely took it out because it was so cumbersome and stealable.
I presently use a Canon Powrshot G5 which is out with me a lot more. Does great close ups and can via an adapter, take longer and wide lenses, but the camera which is out with me all the time is an old Olympus C120 that can be picked up for well under £80. At that price I can afford to not worry about giving it some stick (which it has always handled) and as it is small it slips into a shirt or trouser pocket and thus ensures it is with you more often.
SWMBO has the Nikon, but I found the time between pressing the shutter and it taking the pic to be excessive and it was also slow between shots whilst it processed the photo.
I quite fancy a Canon Ixus digital camera, which would do all you were asking for and be well within the £150 range, but one kid at Uni and another in a gap year makes that an unnecessary luxury for now.

JUST NOTICED THIS IS MY 100th POST :yikes:

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I use the Canon DLSR system, but have recently bought a compact as well as a carry anywhere. I can recommend the Ixus 40 very compact and produces some good pictures. It has a macro and digital macro feature. It's only 4Mp but if your not going to be doing any heavy cropping or printing out above A4 it's all you need. Dixons are currently the cheapest and Digital Depot are doing a offer with SD Cards if you buy from them.

Richie

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I was going to buy one from Duty free in the airport, i think thats a dixons in heathrow, im looking for a good robust one, im going to get a Cannon Eos300n next year but i want one to slip in my pocket, i borrow my POP's one at the mo, its a kodak one but it has a mid of its own and sometimes although the pic's on the viewer look good and clear when downloaded there blurry. :?:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
jakunen said:
Fuji Finepix are great cameras, if a little heavy on batteries.

Has close up and zoom function.

Thumbnail viewer (discovered by accident on holiday, only had the camera 2 years...), pan & zoom.

Gets my vote.
they do those in asda for 199 quid, i was thinking rechargeable mabey?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The Fuji FinePix 5500 of it's predesessor the 602 are probably the best pro-am cameras that I've seen. You can probably get a really good deal on the 602 now.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
www.7dayshop.com have good battery deals too ... yeah, it's mental trying to run em on throw-aways.

The Fuji FinePix 5500 you cna get for about 250 notes: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/fuji/12/marque.html?srcid=198&mctag=uk_11078

Shop around for a good deal ... if you can get the 602 that takes SmarkMedia and CF card memory so you can load it up with 1.124 Gb of memory (1 Gb CF and 124 Mb SM card) for well under £100 while the 5500 takes XD Picture card memory.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
You mentioned close-up ... the Fuji cams have an excellent marco and super-macro facility.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K if you want a compact camera then the Canon Digital Ixus range is one of the best, I've got an old Ixus 300 and its still out shoots some of the newer cameras. My other halfs Dad just bought the 500 and the picture quality is stunning. Another good one is the Panasonic FZ20, never used but seen some pics and they're very, very good, the panasonic is 8 mega pixels and has a x12 OPTICAL zoom....

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I had a fuji fine pix - one of the 'SLR like' ones, a superb camera. Mine just got dropped a few too many times - it was easy enough to repair but the lens motor finaly ground to a halt. I've now got the Dimage Z10 which is great and has a fully enclosed lensy thing so it's not quite to easy to damage. The macro isn't as good as the fuji but it's got a seriously hefty optical zoom.

I'd always go for one that takes standard batteries - a charger and eight rechargables cost me less than one battery for a cannon and they last longer, but it really does up the size and weight of the camera.

Once the house is sold I'm thinking of a proper digital SLR.

Realgar

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Good point on getting a cam that takes ordinary rechargeable batts as opposed to some proprietary bit of kit. I have a Hama charger from www.7dayshop.com that can charge batts in a hour of so and comes with a car cord so I can either use it in the car or with the portable solar panels I have. Tone has a great Samsung "add on" battery for his 602 but that seems discontinued now ... that seemed like a really good idea to me though to augment AAs.

The other cool thing about the 602 and 5500 is that you can get a telephoto and wide angle conversion lens for it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE