digging bore hole to create own water supply, any one done this?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Again, thanks for your responses:You_Rock_.
B R when you mention the stainless steel hand pump is that any thing like you see on those water for Africa adverts?
Also, on a side note are the concrete water towers simply a giant version of a domestic borehole system. Being a bit ignorant, I always assumed they pummped water from a reservior up into the cistern, does it actually come out of the ground directly below the tower?
cheers Jonathan:)

He means something like one of these

You need to always keep a pail of water near to prime it before pumping.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice photo, did you drill out the bore hole yourself?
Also, does it clog up in winter when there is frost (pardon me not sure if "Florder" gets that cold in winter?)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice photo, did you drill out the bore hole yourself?
Also, does it clog up in winter when there is frost (pardon me not sure if "Florder" gets that cold in winter?)

Sorry, they're not my photos, I just lifted them online for example. Several members of my family used to have pumps like this when I was a kid; along with Artesian wells and old fashioned wells you dropped a bucket down on a rope.

As for clogging in winter, it's not an issue since the water doesn't "stand' in the pipe to freeze. You have to prime the pump again if you haven't pumped in a few minutes. That's why you always have to keep a pail of water in reserve.

Hope this helps.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He means something like one of these

You need to always keep a pail of water near to prime it before pumping.

Actually, if you fir a proper "foot" (one way valve) to the bottom of the pipe, you don't need to prime the pump after the first time, the foot prevents water dropping back down the pipe. The modern pumps are like a high tech stainless version of those and can lift a couple of hundred feet. They fit down the borehole casing beside the pipe for the electric pump so both work at the same time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE