'Different' rabbit recipes wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowser

Jun 10, 2004
Edinburgh
www.britishblades.com
Hi folks, I have managed to locate a source of freshly shot rabbit near to me and would love to hear what recipes you have cooked up.

I have tried a couple of the 'traditional' recipes and was quite impressed but I'd like to try a few different things, anyone been overseas and got some good recipes?

What ingreadients do you find go best with Rabbit meat? I'm not a bad chef and like experimenting so if someone could suggest some good accompaniements I could try it a few different ways.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks guys

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
my personal favorite is Bunnie burgers Hugh furly-whatshisnameit does some and the method is in his books.. we normaly go halfs with sausage meat chopped onion and parsley and season.. you can add chillie or what ever takes your fancy really too! :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A good Greek Stifado is the tops,
Cooked with loads of shallots, olive oil and tomatoes (I think, not too sure of the toms), served with boiled new potatos or brown rice.

My mate cooked it after my efforts with stews and it put me to shame (cheers Queeg9000).

Ogri the trog

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Cleavers goes well with Rabbit. You want the young shots in the spring. Drop in to boiling water for 2 minutes (not a second longer) and eat hot. It's a little bit stringy but not too bad.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That's an excellent link, TomTom, I missed it first time round.

I have a slow cooker and I like most game (in fact anything - esp. lamb shanks, and other cheaper cuts) cooked as a stew in that. The slow cooking really makes the meat tender and it doesn't matter a jot if it cooks for six hours or eight. I often add some fatty bacon, or pork belly, if the other meat's really lean, to give it a bit of "lubrication".

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This is from an old thread but it's a handy way to cook them especially if you have quite a few.

rapidboy said:
Pumbaa's recent thread about PCP airgun's got me in the mood for a spot of hunting.
I shoot almost every day but i haven't had time for any hunting in ages so i grabbed my rifle yesterday and went for a wander around the fields.

429_2970_1.jpg

I was only out for about an hour and had 4 rabbits quite quickly at around 45 -55 yards.
I usually only take 1 or 2 to eat but the farmer was complaining that they are back in numbers so i took a couple extra to keep him happy.
I normally roast rabbit whole but when i have a few the easiest thing to do is take a strip of meat from each side of the spine.
You don't have to gut them and if your not worried about saving the skins then removing the meat like this only takes about a minute per rabbit.

429_2971_1.jpg

Start by pinching the skin in the middle of the back and push your knife through and cut up.

429_2973_1.jpg

Then you just grab either side of this cut and pull the skin in opposite
directions ,it will come away very easily.
429_2977_1.jpg

429_2981_1.jpg

Just cut down each side of the spine and you get a nice strip of meat.

429_2983_1.jpg

They are great for kebab's.

429_2984_1.jpg

429_2990_1.jpg

rb

Quick and easy and with a nice honey and mustard marinade they are damn tasty.

rb

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
I'm currently doing Bambi and Thumper pie ;)

3 onions, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 rabbits (I minced mine because my kids are a bit funny with meat, got to use my hand cranked mincer :D )
1lb cooked cubed venison (leftovers from xmas lunch)
5 carrots sliced
1 1/2 pints water
vegatable stock cube
2 tsp marmite
ground cumin
ground paprika
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Fry onions in olive oil with cumin and paprika until glossy, add celery and fry until transparent.
Add rabbit mince and fry until lightly browned
add stock cube and water, marmite and carrots
bring to boiland add the venison.
cook over a low heat for 45 mins

Pour into an oven proof dish and top with mashed potato (like a shepherds pie ;) )
Or do as I am tonight and make some rough puff pastry for a lid and serve with chips :D

Greywolf

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
a local pub of mine used to do a rabbit n cheese pie. it had leeks in too as far as i can remember. shortcrust 'top n bottom' pie i think.

i think i once saw some spatchcocked at a re-enactment at bolsover castle too.

ooh i just tried the beeb food site:

italian?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rabbitwithgarlicandr_67841.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rosemaryskeweredrabb_1091.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/gigotdelapinwithcala_13611.shtml

mrs b!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rabbitpie_3571.shtml

and rabbit cake :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/bunnycake_10640.shtml

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
We add a sweet chilli sauce,or a kung po.Rabbit needs a sweet sauce with a kick and this is also good with pheasant and pigeon. cheers fil

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Bowser said:
Hi folks, I have managed to locate a source of freshly shot rabbit near to me and would love to hear what recipes you have cooked up.

I have tried a couple of the 'traditional' recipes and was quite impressed but I'd like to try a few different things, anyone been overseas and got some good recipes?

What ingreadients do you find go best with Rabbit meat? I'm not a bad chef and like experimenting so if someone could suggest some good accompaniements I could try it a few different ways.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks guys

Perhaps someone could help me out. My grandmother used to use a recipe for rabbit she called "Welsh rare-bit." She said the recipe came from Wales. She's dead now and everyone in the family would like to get the recipe.

Figured many on the list are closer to Wales than I am. Anyone ever hear of this?

As to our normal method of cooking rabbit - we just cut them in pieces - much like a chicken, pop them in a plastic bag with flour, salt, and pepper, shake the bag, and pop them out of the bag and into the fry pan and fry them in butter or bacon grease - like fried chicken.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
scanker said:
AFAIK, there's no rabbit in Welsh Rarebit - it's just posh cheese on toast! Nice when it's done properly though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/perfectwelshrarebit_13772.shtml

Hmmm. Well, that's no help, eh? This recipe definitely had rabbit. That was kind of the point of it. It was kind of a meat in barbeque sauce baked type of thing (this was back before we'd ever heard of barbeque sauce). There was no toast and no cheeze.

I spoke to my great aunt recently about it. She says it was a recipe they'd got from a Welshman who worked for the HBC.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE