Devon Weekend....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Instead of knitting a scarf buy a metre square of the nicest Egyptian cotton cloth you fancy, hem it. And use that, more versatile you can use it as a head scarf or a neck scarf, wrap it round your neck, face, head, tuck it under your hat or wear it like Laurence of Arabia. And it can double as a swimming costume if you are brave or daft enough to want to go swimming in the winter… :eek:

I'm planning a winter camp more or less solo after Christmas, and this is a timely reminder to make sure I prepare appropriately in terms of kit and pack the right resources in terms of food supplies.

I'm sure you are well aware of planning, etc, but remember to tell several people where you're going, when you expect to be back, make check in calls at certain times, always have an escape plan :).

Solo journeys can be dangerous at any time of the year, but winter is when most go wrong. Typically, mostly due to hypothermia, as us folk in this country don't feel it ever gets that cold, that quickly. Also, if you are driving to a location, pack plenty of spare food and clothes in the vehicle, just in case you find yourself snowed in, and have to haul up in the motor for a while. No gas stoves in the tent, no matter how cold or windy it is, carbon monoxide is a killer in confined spaces, especially around ground level (where you'll be sleeping).

Be safe buddy, and hope you have a great time.

Adam

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
I am trying to work out if a metre square would cover all my bits for swimming... but in general a very good point and I will put that one into action.

The up side to getting into trouble is the useful advice that follows - late but still valuable.

And thank you for all being very polite and not pointing out my stupidity too bluntly. Such gents!

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm sure you are well aware of planning, etc, but remember to tell several people where you're going, when you expect to be back, make check in calls at certain times, always have an escape plan :).

Solo journeys can be dangerous at any time of the year, but winter is when most go wrong. Typically, mostly due to hypothermia, as us folk in this country don't feel it ever gets that cold, that quickly. Also, if you are driving to a location, pack plenty of spare food and clothes in the vehicle, just in case you find yourself snowed in, and have to haul up in the motor for a while. No gas stoves in the tent, no matter how cold or windy it is, carbon monoxide is a killer in confined spaces, especially around ground level (where you'll be sleeping).

Be safe buddy, and hope you have a great time.

Adam

Oh yes, definately. I've done this a lot previously, but that doesn't mean it can't go wrong this time. I checked out the intended site this time last year in about 3 feet of snow, so I know what resources are available in bad weather (and if it is worse than that I won't be able to get there!), and there is a bothy a few hundred yards away too. Also a road within easy distance and some habitation. Basically a quiet spot but close to walker traffic if I need to flag someone down. My wife is fully aware of the plans and my location, and knows the place herself too. In the event, I'm not afraid to bug out if it gets unpleasant. This is about having fun, not raw survival. Wife will drop me off and pick me up, as she needs the car herself during the intended period.

Thanks for the kind words of advice. I'll post pics after the event.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And thank you for all being very polite and not pointing out my stupidity too bluntly. Such gents!

If there is someone on here who hasn't done something stupid outdoors at some point, then I haven't met them yet. It is just that sometimes you get away with it, and sometimes you don't. I got away with mine, but only just. I learned more from that single experience than the other 25 years outdoors have taught me.

See my tag line :)

Oh yes, definately. I've done this a lot previously, but that doesn't mean it can't go wrong this time. I checked out the intended site this time last year in about 3 feet of snow, so I know what resources are available in bad weather (and if it is worse than that I won't be able to get there!), and there is a bothy a few hundred yards away too. Also a road within easy distance and some habitation. Basically a quiet spot but close to walker traffic if I need to flag someone down. My wife is fully aware of the plans and my location, and knows the place herself too. In the event, I'm not afraid to bug out if it gets unpleasant. This is about having fun, not raw survival. Wife will drop me off and pick me up, as she needs the car herself during the intended period.

Thanks for the kind words of advice. I'll post pics after the event.

Looks like you got it planned better than most wilderness experts lol. Look forward to seeing the pics mate.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all just reading the latest round of threads lucy we love you don't die on us, (just being an old mother hen here) but did you go to the doctors as suggested ?
everyone above have only said what i said to you on the day hats and gloves and thermals regards dave

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Hi Dave, as you will have realised from my unwillingness to go to A&E the other night, not huge on the whole doctoring thing.

Thermals are in my letter to santa - he will know it is a good idea too.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Uh Oh ! Mongoose alert ! think the lookalike competion could be decided tonight , by the way everyone don't tell her we went camping or had any kind of meet or fun, the weekend just gone .

She wouldn't have liked it anyway , remember mums the word ....

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Uh Oh ! Mongoose alert ! think the lookalike competion could be decided tonight , by the way everyone don't tell her we went camping or had any kind of meet or fun, the weekend just gone .

She wouldn't have liked it anyway , remember mums the word ....

I don't remember the weekend anyway!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Lucy , that reminds me of one of the jokes from the w/e Boy says to girl " Do you fancy a night to remember ? " "No" so i dropped rohipnol in her drink !!

I now can save a fortune on drugs , just cool a girl down a bit , i mean a lot !!

Sorry , but you did say you were in for it and would take it in the spirit it was mean't ...

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Hey Lucy , that reminds me of one of the jokes from the w/e Boy says to girl " Do you fancy a night to remember ? " "No" so i dropped rohipnol in her drink !!

I now can save a fortune on drugs , just cool a girl down a bit , i mean a lot !!

Sorry , but you did say you were in for it and would take it in the spirit it was mean't ...

When I said you guys were all gents I had forgotten about you!
Back to talking about bushcraft stuff maybe? Some jokes work better late at night round a fire!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
You rotten little so and so ! any of the other entries would have been ok! even the vulture ! still judges decision is final .

Thankyou Katie , probably the most unlikely of all of the choices to get to a bushmeet , now all i have to do is think of a prize, then get you to pay for it and present it !

Thanks to all who took part , i will look at myself in a different light from now on !!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Pity I suggested a vulture from Junglebook. I should have suggested Ka - the snake. I believe that Rudyard Kipling also wrote about snakes and mongooses (Riki-tiki-tavi). The mongoose kills and eats the snake! Consider your yourself 'killed and eaten by a mongoose' Mr Ka (aka Ivan). :D

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Unless it's very cold, gloves and socks are more about comfort, maintaining a good core temp is most important as when temp drops, your blood will move away from extremities to your core to feed your main organs. Your Head however is the main organ and has a massive blood supply. So body first, and then head then hands and feet. Important to insulate from ground too, even sitting you lose heat quicker through ground than air. Re food... All about calories rather than volume hence the Inuit high fat diet. The perfect excuse for chocolate :)

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Unless it's very cold, gloves and socks are more about comfort, maintaining a good core temp is most important as when temp drops, your blood will move away from extremities to your core to feed your main organs. Your Head however is the main organ and has a massive blood supply. So body first, and then head then hands and feet. Important to insulate from ground too, even sitting you lose heat quicker through ground than air. Re food... All about calories rather than volume hence the Inuit high fat diet. The perfect excuse for chocolate :)

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

Just to second this, the brain has a constant blood supply, unlike other organs, so head loss from the head is not reduced in cold weather by blood withdrawing. to the core (if it did, you would pass out).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE