demise of the shelter sheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mostly now I use a tent. There was a time I used a tarp and probably will be again.

But when i was truly "bushcrafting" I didn't use either. And NO. I didn't built a natural shelter back then either. Rather most of my youthful camping was spent just unrolling blankets or sleeping bag under the stars. If it rained I just got wet unless I could crawl under the canoe or jon-boat. These days I'm not so easily comforted.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Never been a tarp dweller much either but have still carried one for a long time.

Started with 2 and 3 man tents or just crashing in the heather in a sleeping bag, tried hammocking for a while then discovered hooped bivys and have been sold on the coffin ever since.
Can understand the appeal of tipis and bell tents even if I'll likely never own one - being able to stand in the tent is quite a big deal psychologicaly if you're in there for any length of time. The large box tents that were popular when I was growing up struggled to shed water so I'm not surprised bell tents have taken over from them.

Do agree with the folk who've said this is just an isolated fad at a particular meet site though. Nigh on every person I've camped with from this forum has crashed under a tarp whereas I could count the tipi owners I know on one hand.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
After many attempts at the hammocky thing( max 4 hours sleep) I ground dwell all the time and switch between tent and tarp,in the warmer/drier weather i much prefer a tarp, that lovely fresh air feeling, and ability to adjust angles etc.

Tried a lean to affair with a bit of old boat canvas last night (pics under Out and About) and it worked really well.

Ivan...

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....I could count the tipi owners I know on one hand.
According to one of the meeters here at NorthWood, the folk interested in laavus are just sheep and because of this, he's U turned on buying one.... I'm gutted because I saved all my christmas money to buy fabric to make one after he told me he was buying the second hand one which another member was offering for sale! :rolleyes: I'd've never dreamed that a fascination and interest in different outdoor living styles could create so much vitriol. Yup, there are a lot here and he's probably right.

Not like me to miss an easy opportunity for a pun.... a 'ewe turn'.... ;)

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If I saw a set-up like that, rows of tents in a desert, I'd turn round and go home again. This is certainly not what i go out for! Looks like a posh glastonbury festival :yikes: ... not my scene.

Ah but if you were seeing a "set-up like that" , you would'nt have a home to go to! As the OP must be aware, having linked the pic, it is of a refugee camp in Turkey after a massive earthquake destroyed everyone's homes, indeed the file is titled "tent-city-turkey-earthquake-1999".

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
According to one of the meeters here at NorthWood, the folk interested in laavus are just sheep and because of this, he's U turned on buying one.... I'm gutted because I saved all my christmas money to buy fabric to make one after he told me he was buying the second hand one which another member was offering for sale! :rolleyes: I'd've never dreamed that a fascination and interest in different outdoor living styles could create so much vitriol. Yup, there are a lot here and he's probably right.

That's akin to disowning your favourite band when they have a top ten hit.

Tents provide a modicum of privacy and security that tarps don't. For short stays, if camping in a large group of strangers i'd opt for a tent. Small group of friends a tarp.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
great picture John, is that a DD 3x3?

Each to there own really. I have considered a lavvu for if my kids or wife wanted to go with me, still unsure if i should or not.
I did have two fantastic days and nights under my tarp in -conditions and was able to carry all my gear comfortably.
DSC_0169.jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
We've never had a problem with privacy whilst using 4m tarps. We just close the ends over our hammocks so they are like floating tents :D

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Ah but if you were seeing a "set-up like that" , you would'nt have a home to go to! As the OP must be aware, having linked the pic, it is of a refugee camp in Turkey after a massive earthquake destroyed everyone's homes, indeed the file is titled "tent-city-turkey-earthquake-1999".

yes of course i was aware of its origin, it merely served to illustrate my exaggerated perception of the thread title :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
What we have to remember is that a shelter sheet was invented/adapted just as soon as technology allowed so as to negate the necessity to build very time consuming natural shelters or to prevent being miserable wrapped in just a cloak. Where weight allowed, the "shelter sheet" was large enough to be configured in a tent fashion.

Now time has moved on and people bang on about a tarp being a purist option- it isn't unless you're using a canvas tarp and with wool blankets. What we get now is increasingly large sheets which are either configured to resemble a tent (either on the deck or suspended) or using a smaller tarp AND a bivi bag...does sound very purist to me?

Back in the 80's I used an issue poncho with a sleeping bag and mat. I never got wet (I did get cold due to the poxy '58 pattern bags :lmao:). I now use (in the main) a hex tent without inner, which weighs the same as a 3m nylon tarp and is more weather resistant, but if I want to I can open the "door" a la "baker tent" style.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
good input Widu thank you. :) this thread was never about purist v modern. how pure do you want to go anyway, sheltering under a rock in a bearskin.? :D but i was hoping to find out if this trend was localised, or not.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Just do your own thing and sod him, buy what you want.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
To be honest a Lavvu is no different to a dome tent or a one man altar light tent or a tarp with doors buy and sleep in what you feel comfortable in. Lets not kid our selves the meets are car camping. just look at our trip we did to Norway we used a parachute as our shelter never mind a little lavvu and we carried it/pulled it in on a pulk along with all the kit you need for freezer temps and a wood stove to heat the chute.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm a tarp man personally. I like the additional flexibility it affords me (especially if I take a basha pole for when there are no trees around). Very easy to set up in almost any scenario, packs very small (and easily)... I see no reason to complicate things, especially for the sake of small luxury.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I'm with you Stuart, I like to be sheltered but not closed in. The last time, the very last, time i used a tent was at North wood. I realised i didn't like it and gave it away. Not having any trees around to set it up isn't a problem because i always have a hiking stick/staff with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE