demise of the shelter sheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I have come across recommendations several times that, when camping in bear country, you should sleep in a tent. That is what I do. I have very rarely seen people sleeping in hammocks overnight or under tarps when I've been in bear country. At least if you're in a tent an inquisitive bear is likely to have woken you up before gaining access to you - and you can have got your bear spray to hand. Under a tarp the bear could be licking the remnants of last night's curry off your face before you awake!

I still use a tarp or two over my eating/living area of camp, particularly if staying more than one night.

I have heard the term 'bear burritos' used to desribe camping hammocks. :D

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I think the first picture would be most people's idea of hell.
I do have a Bell Tent, I bought it because I prefer it to a modern day tent, it's lighter (brightness wise!) roomier and I can roll the sides up if I wish. If I want to go camping with the family it's the only option. No way in the world my wife is going to sleep under a tarp! She does however keep nagging for a Campervan which is way off budget!!! If people are taking them to meets I don't see the problem, what's the difference between that and a field full of nylon tarps? Would you think the same if it was a woodland full of shelters made from dead wood and leaves etc? I doubt very much the first pic was a bushcraft meet anyway, probably the annual Bell tent owners association.
Just my opinion.
David.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
your right david, that opening picture probably was hell especially for the people involved.

absolutely no problem with those tents or the people that use them, as per my initial post i was noticing a trend towards their use and was asking if anyone else had.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...She does however keep nagging for a Campervan which is way off budget!!!..... I doubt very much the first pic was a bushcraft meet
You could do like Handmade Matt on here and make your own campervan, lutons are cheap as chips through the auctions at the moment... I understand your grief, though, I tried for years to get hubby camping but its a no-go unless its in a field of military vehicles and we're 'camping' in a K9 :)

I think Steves post 1 pic is of emergency quake shelters, I spose they just get put up in rows for convenience but I like the haphazard way a 'village' evolves on a meet weekend, it's organised chaos which is a break from the usual straight roads and perfect boxes :)

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I think it's a trend back towards camping in general, there is a site just up the road from me (used to take longer to pack the motor than drive there!!)where we used to camp, could have a fire etc, was never a problem booking. It then appeared in the cool camping guide, and guess what, bank holidays booked a year in advance!

Elen Sentier

that pic was the last North Wood meet, :D

like many others on here over the years i have accumulated a lot of gear , but i can safely say other than the main summer holiday, i will probably never use my tents etc again. i will continue with either the tarp or hammock.

this isnt a kit envy thing, and ive heard the argument 'why not be comfortable?'. its just that i struggle to understand why people who love the outdoors as we all do, want to stoke up the woodburner and shut themselves away from the sight, feel, sound and smell of the very thing they come for?

Gawd !!! I am coming to North wood in Feb but PLEASE, isn't there somewhere I can hide away and be with the woods, not a version of Galstonbury Festival ??? That is glamping to me and not what I want to go to meets for. I'm hoping to learn how to live comfortably with less and less gear. I want the outdoors, nature, not rows and rows of tents!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've also got to admit that if (when) I take the dogs I need something a bit more substantial. it just wouldn't do to leave them in a tent area while I ventured into town for resupply. They'd be sitting bait for the alligators.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
a bit off topic but to answer your question...

Elen, dont worry i was perhaps giving you the wrong picture! :) understandably this time of year some will bring in extra kit, a sensible precaution, :D either way there is always a communal fire for heat and cooking as well as a chute to keep out the weather. (and the smoke in)

on the other hand there are plenty of secluded pitches to practice minimalism if thats what you want too. and on this winter meet i am waiving the usual fire rules, see NW thread.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I think it's a trend back towards camping in general, there is a site just up the road from me (used to take longer to pack the motor than drive there!!)where we used to camp, could have a fire etc, was never a problem booking. It then appeared in the cool camping guide, and guess what, bank holidays booked a year in advance!

know what you mean, its not a bad thing that new generations are appreciating camping. but sometimes it can get crowded for the wrong reasons.
we dont get that at NW, its a private wood with exclusive use. :D

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Gawd !!! I am coming to North wood in Feb but PLEASE, isn't there somewhere I can hide away and be with the woods, not a version of Galstonbury Festival ??? That is glamping to me and not what I want to go to meets for. I'm hoping to learn how to live comfortably with less and less gear. I want the outdoors, nature, not rows and rows of tents!
Less was the way I intended going too but then I saw all the cool comfort enhancments those clever Northwood bushbros made and I got carried away :) I didn't dream of making knives/ doing leatherwork/ playing with wood etc and I guess I just fell into meets as a social & opportunity to work and learn with great guys (and increasingly, likeminded lasses like you and Water Gypsy :)) as much as a chance to be solitary with nature- I can do that here.

I s'pse it all comes down to what you go for but if you want a mentor in lightweight, Steve is the guy you need, Elen :) Oh and there are plenty of areas you can escape the madding crowd!

.... sitting bait for the alligators.
But there's some wildlife we don't get to see there, thankfully :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
What shelter I choose depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on my own and I know there are trees, then it's a tarp. If I'm not sure I can rig a tarp, then I'll take a small tent. If I've got the wife and kids, then I use a tent or two with a giant tarp over the top.

In the past, people who lived a nomadic way of life used tents when they made camp, and in some places, they still do. Those who do use flat sheets of fabric usually build some sort of tent with them, e.g. the gypsy bender.

Just my personal opinion, but I'm quite happy to follow the lead of people who have lived like that for generations. It must work, or they would have died out centuries ago

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's another point that the tent provides; shelter from the midgies :D
Even if you have to squirt inside with fly spray, the relief from the blighters is worth carrying the tent.
Beaton's midgie jackets are a blessing, but sleeping bug free is a very good thing.
I know hammocks do have nets, and I know folks who rate them very highly, but there are a lot of places that hanging a hammock isn't possible, and if you're going to stake up a tarp, you might as well have the inner anti noseeum's net of a tent.

cheers,
Toddy

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i have no tents at all i have sold my bell tent and am quite happy just under a tarp come what ever the weather
and am happy heavy weight or lightweight ish cos i haven't got it down from more then to trips to the car but hey thats down from twelve so that's a big jump.

Now i love tarps cos i can see everything and be truly connected to nature but i can equally understand the lover of tents cos i used to be one.

now the guy who said about the chuck wagon now he had the right idea cos i would love a chuck wagon but would still use a tarp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE