demise of the shelter sheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
cheers, no we dont want to get all fractious over ability! :D good point about the privacy thing, and the sheer storage capacity of a tent like structure, hadnt thought of that. and touch half a dozen trees, the theft issue has never arisen at NW. but all good valid points. :) its just the choice to be less tactile im trying to understand apart from the practicle issues. :confused: ha! appreciate your analogy, yep im an indian (without the tipi)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Privacy. When you're out on your own or with a mate overnight, a tarp is great but when you're at a meet with potential strangers walking around, you want some privacy and when you keep expensive things like knives where you sleep you want them out of sight

And it can be a bit disconserting for a diabetic to give yourself your injections without privacy.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
fully understand that one santaman, and going back to squidders privacy thing, there will always be those who just prefer that or who bring partners etc absolutely, thats not in question.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have over the yeards done loads of camping, I still feel more with nature with a tarp, and will use them cause of that reason, but saying that I understand why people use tents, for privacy, security, and generly keeps everything in one place on a long camp, my self I have a number of tents to chose from ranging from a 12 man Wynster Hotel, down to a fishing/beach shelter, that I have used.

One thing I would like is to get a canvas tent for winter use with a stove, so I am in both camps so to say, I dont thnk there is any right or wrong just your personal preferance in that suituation, never been to a large bush meet, but think I would use tarp and a small, admin/storage tent.. best of both worlds.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Each to there own really. I have considered a lavvu for if my kids or wife wanted to go with me, still unsure if i should or not.
I did have two fantastic days and nights under my tarp in -conditions and was able to carry all my gear comfortably.
DSC_0169.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
its just the choice to be less tactile im trying to understand apart from the practicle issues.

I don't really get the phrase but I'm guessing that you mean you feel like if you're exposed to the air or have a view of your surroundings you feel more part of them? I guess that's the real difference isn't it, I feel part of my surroundings whatever i'm in. I use my tent only as a place to sleep or as a refuge if the weather REALLY closes in, I don't use it to get away from the thing i'm out there to experience and I feel exactly as close to the wilderness regardless of my sleeping arrangements.

It is hard not to apply your feelings to others but your choice to be more tactile only applies to you as an individual, you are still in a sleeping bag and with a tarp over you which others may think of as hiding away and as less tactile. To you, it isn't and to me nor is a tent.

It is where your heart is that matters, not how your gear operates.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I don't really get the phrase but I'm guessing that you mean you feel like if you're exposed to the air or have a view of your surroundings you feel more part of them? I guess that's the real difference isn't it, I feel part of my surroundings whatever i'm in. I use my tent only as a place to sleep or as a refuge if the weather REALLY closes in, I don't use it to get away from the thing i'm out there to experience and I feel exactly as close to the wilderness regardless of my sleeping arrangements.

It is hard not to apply your feelings to others but your choice to be more tactile only applies to you as an individual, you are still in a sleeping bag and with a tarp over you which others may think of as hiding away and as less tactile. To you, it isn't and to me nor is a tent.

It is where your heart is that matters, not how your gear operates.

good insight mate, maybe thats what it is then, well no i wouldnt curl up naked in a blizzard, :) but as johnyboy has posted, just the minimum to still allow you to 'feel' your surroundings works for me too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It has nothing to do with evolution or glamping or anything else... it's just camping... If you are under a tarp at night, you're camping, if you are in a hammock you are camping and if you are in a tent you are still camping.

Why else might tents be popular at meets? Privacy perhaps?

Been saying that for years (and got shot down on here for daring to say so lol )

I don't much use a tarp nowadays for anything other than a cooking/group shelter but to be honest regardless of my health or fitness level there is no way I'd take a tarp over the much more comfortable shelter of some sort of tent in wet/winter weather unless it was an emergency shelter. Its nice to share a tent with a good chum, while the weather is going pear shaped you can sit in warmth and comfort, chat, play cards, listen to the radio, cook, drink.....its sociable and good fun. Tarps and hammocks tend to be more solo affairs, not for me. Use what you like and enjoy your trips...just my pennies worth.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I came to bushcrafting via hammocking at festivals, although I'd often use my indian tipi for the less secure ones on the grounds 'out of sight is out of mind' -there were a LOT of tent field thefts at Shambala, it's a seasonal rural industry round there!

As a woman, there are times of the month when a little more seclusion is... mmmmm.... comforting and having a fire with the heat reflecting down at you, frost outside while in the nip... tis great, but not a sight to inflict on the faint hearted!

I like the american indian thinking of the womans hearth and home being her responsibility and satisfaction so it's important to me to have the comfort to wrap around visitors and myself in the woods, like a well organised base camp- and I love giving massages too so comfort and privacy is essential for that, not that I've found any willing victims in the woodlands yet ;)

Your post 1 picture is absolutely my idea of hell though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I agree Sal :D

I borrowed a geodesic dome for a friend for one Winter meet and it was absolutely brilliant. Tbh, if I were to buy a bigger tent I'd commission a dome from Geoff Forest.

I'll find the link to the site that sent me looking for them, but I think the idea that those folks had, of an internal 'therapy' or meditation area, combined with an outer ring of private space was just excellent :D

atb,
M

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
One of the best glamping accesories at Barefoot was attached to a caravan that had been converted into a mobile sauna and jacuzzi :) The outside area was where you went to get hosed down with cold water and the tent was the coffee shop/ chill out/ drying off room, MOST excellent :) Woodspirits, have you considered one for Northwood for us old comfort lovers? How about a workparty to make a hot tub?!

I know, I know....
:deadhorse:

Yup, Squidders, I'd be delighted with that instant fabric in those circumstances :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I wondered what that set up actually was; thanks Squidders :)
Yeah, good things when in need :)

As a total off topic.....did you know that if archaelogists come across lots of square structures of a certain time frame, they immediately think, "Roman" ? but we have the anomally that they sometimes build straight lines of round houses too....apparantly so that 'Celtic' troops/visitors might be more comfortable :)

Round's the way to go it seems :D

The site I was looking to link to with the geodesic dome has gone. It was under Wiltshire Human Givings, if anyone else can find it.
The way that the dome was partitioned was brilliantly simple, with a curtain hung from the regularly spaced roof joints to create a symetrical inner space that was still light and airy.

cheers,
M

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Indians are cooler than cowboys and indians live in tipis, who'd want to take a mock up wild west frontier town with them to a meet?

Dude, if I had the disposable income I would most definitely be the "Jebediah Nightlinger" of my outings; complete with chuckwagon. I fancy ringing the come and get it triangle and being asked what's for breakfast. "June apples, bacon and biscuits".:cool:

Last edited:

bearbait

I have come across recommendations several times that, when camping in bear country, you should sleep in a tent. That is what I do. I have very rarely seen people sleeping in hammocks overnight or under tarps when I've been in bear country. At least if you're in a tent an inquisitive bear is likely to have woken you up before gaining access to you - and you can have got your bear spray to hand. Under a tarp the bear could be licking the remnants of last night's curry off your face before you awake!

I still use a tarp or two over my eating/living area of camp, particularly if staying more than one night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE