Dehydrated Fuel? Or Huel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
And you guys complaine when the TransAtlantic Trio diverge from the original topic.....:D

I meant the flax seeds are good for the intestine, it kind of bulks up the food abd lubricates so the flow is smooth, so to say.
I have heard it is good for the prostate too.

Alan, unless you crush them or eat them dehulled, whole flax seeds do not give you much energy.

I think the Andean people air dry whole raw potatoes for storage, then later do some kind of food.
Llama and tater stew?
Fried condor stuffed with airdried potato and Alpaca liver?
Roasted Guinea Pig wrapped in bacon on a bed of steamed airdried potatoes

I dunno.

Hi Janne I think the original topic "What is Huel?" has pretty much been exhausted now, the thread has now morphed into "dehydrated Fuel? or Huel?" Much more interesting?

The flaxseed I have are " Organic cold milled Flaxseed (linseed) " & I probably also had preventative maintenance for my prostate in mind when I first thought of using them, I am at that age now & there is higher risk of problems from prostate....

Intrigued by the dehydrated potato idea.... It's strange you should mention "Air drying", as I Pondered with the possibility of using "Campa dehumidifying damp crystals" in a sealed box to air dry potatoes.

I am thinking raw air dried potatoes would taste not nice cooking after drying would be a must IMHO

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
So still on potatoes:~ skins on chop to sugar lump size chunks boil in salted water for 10 minutes till fork tender (Al Dante) {might just have boiled a little longer than intended} in to the dehydrator for 6~8 hours @ 50 dc not sure about time & temp just guessing as I seem to have misplaced the instruction manual for dehydrator.

36261334425_360a1be256_z.jpg

All the Gear no Idea, (dehydrator novice) I'm still having trouble spelling dehydrator, so any thoughts welcome!

T~internet tips:~ drop them into a bowl of water that has a crushed vitamin C tablet in it to keep the potatoes from turning brown.

BLANCH POTATOES BEFORE DEHYDRATING

Blanch the potatoes by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Add potato slices or shredded potatoes to the water and resume boiling until slices are fork tender – about 4-6 minutes. Fork tender means you can insert a fork easily without the potato crumbling.

Last edited:

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
JamPam your distant ancestor might be a union between a Viking and a welcoming English nun. Who knows?

Oh I think most certainly! :D

Our family tree has been done quite far though not all the way to the vikings. Though it is thought my last name Ineson which still looks Scandy is potentially a misspelling of Jansson.
The bad spelling route seems to be Ineson <- I'Anson <- Jansson. Though my looks come from my mothers side, as my dad looked like an Italian stallion in his younger days. :D

Alan - The testing begins! I'm so eager to get my dehydrator, but the postman is a quite often a moron here and just posts through an undelivered slip most of the time instead of ringing, so I'll probably need to get it from the post office.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I am a little bit weird as I like the taste of a raw potato, I like to eat maybe a half of a normal sized one when I peel them!

I do not think those dehydrating crystals will be any good, as they have a limit of how much water they can absorb. Also a good airflow is a must for quick drying.

Dehydrator should work a treat. As I am 8300 kilometers away at the moment from my dehydrator maybe somebody else can experiment?

I guess that cooking the dried taters will turn them into mush?

I was thinking of Calcium Chloride Crystals they absorb the water vapour from the air. Absorbing up to 3 times their own weight in water, a 2.5 kg pack will absorb up to 3.5 litres of water.... they do go brown within 60-90 seconds if not treated first with water & vitanin C (asorbic acid)

The popular conscientious with dehydrating potato seems to be either shredding prior to dehydrating or potato scallops 1/8" thick & but in both cases par boiling to al dente seems to be the method apparently they go horribly grey & brown & unappetizing looking when dehydrated from raw.

For hashbrowns, soak the shredded potatoes in water for 15 minutes, drain and pan fry.

For dried potato slices, either use them dry in casseroles, potato au gratin or scalloped potato recipes. You can also pan fry them after re hydrating them by soaking in water for 15 minutes or so.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
:D the postman is a quite often a moron here and just posts through an undelivered slip most of the time instead of ringing, so I'll probably need to get it from the post office.

Hay! Who knew? We have the same postman!

the general consensus for drying spuds seems to be 135 df leastwise for scallops & shredded
I Thought 57 dc a bit harsh as I didn't want to cook them any more, so I put my spuds on at 40 dc instead just had a look they don't seem to be doing much so whacked them back up to 50 dc, I don't have the patience for dehydration...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Maris Piper potatoes, 22 hours in put the dehydrator on lowest setting before going to bed & back to 60 in the morning still on

Daft question can you over dry stuff? Do you think these will be done?

They look dry enough, I had expected them to be translucent when fully dried though

35889959090_b257da6536_z.jpg

I am a "Green wood dehydrator" only done beans & spuds so far, Here's ma beans, done this time last year, separated the beans from sauce before dehydrating.
Not happy with the sauce it's bitty when re hydrated not smooth {method pulverized dehydrated sauce lump in a food processor.}

Tips on powdering sauce please?

35890222130_d893495d94_m.jpg
35450242474_4c4642376d_m.jpg

12:00 just cracked one open still soft in the middle, maybe that's the reason nobody does spuds the size of sugar cubes they are probably going to be a beatch to re hydrate too

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
dehydrator question for seasoned dryers.

If dehydrating different things together on different trays, say above & below, will one take on the flavour of the other for example...
Bananas under potatoes, will potatoes taste of bananas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't find it so. I do rotate the trays though, top to bottom and move the pieces around on them as they dry too. I generally only run the dehydrator when I'm going to be in and out of the kitchen all day.

I have never dried anything for 22 hours ! but then mine doesn't have any temperature control. It's either on or it's off.

No complaints about the drying though :D

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Thanks Mary it would be much easier if it was Just on or off. My temp range is 40 dc ~ 70 dc I don't have a clue about temp settings, 24 + hours is a ridiculously long time I think my temp was too low to begin with, I over cooked my spuds at the "Blanch/Boil" stage & was over cautious.

36294283125_a3fbaf4e91_m.jpg
35460625834_e7c8878418_m.jpg

I have now put some more thinner cut scallops in, pre cooked to al dente perfection, on a high temp setting from start to Finnish they should be done in half the time.

36285714725_aa1e139b20_m.jpg

After 8 hours the scallops are almost done except for the ends if you keep the skins on you get two ends with only one cut surface, moisture is trapped under the skin the skin & stops the dehydration process . & only dries the cut surface so the ends are only half way dried... after 8 hours.

I'm thinking potatoes are not worth the effort counter productive when you could just take a few small fresh potatoes along.

You could probably prepare & cook fresh raw potatoes in the time it takes you to re hydrate dehydrated potatoes.

Probably thin scallops no more than 1/4 inch are the best way to go, skins on & ditch the ends or peel.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have any of you heard of "Heather's Choice" dehydrated meals? There were a couple of pod casts done on the Gritty Bowman channel that talked extensively (45min - 2hour) about back country nutrition and the importance of real food and the differences between ingredients from different sources.

Thanks for the flax seed info. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease this year and have been having a couple of table spoons of ground flax seed in my otherwise low fibre breakfast of cornflakes and boiled white rice. I started because they were one of the few foods which seemed to have a proportionally high level of soluble fibre, which was what I was advised I needed. I will cut back and see how I feel.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
The wife is away for two weeks so I might as well experiment with everything I can find. :D

I'm so eager to get my dehydrator, should arrive Monday but the postman is a quite often a moron here and just posts through an undelivered slip most of the time instead of ringing, so I'll probably need to get it from the post office.

Hows it going with your experimenting? Any signs of that delivery yet Jam?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Have any of you heard of "Heather's Choice" dehydrated meals? There were a couple of pod casts done on the Gritty Bowman channel that talked extensively (45min - 2hour) about back country nutrition and the importance of real food and the differences between ingredients from different sources.

Thanks for the flax seed info. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease this year and have been having a couple of table spoons of ground flax seed in my otherwise low fibre breakfast of cornflakes and boiled white rice. I started because they were one of the few foods which seemed to have a proportionally high level of soluble fibre, which was what I was advised I needed. I will cut back and see how I feel.[/QUO

Last edited:

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Hows it going with your experimenting? Any signs of that delivery yet Jam?

Well the great news it's arrived, but as usual I just got the undelivered note even though I was in. So I'll pick it up from the post office tomorrow. :)
Also I've just been up to Morrisons and got two bunches of bananas for 5p each! So they'll be first in the dehydrator. :)

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Well the great news it's arrived, but as usual I just got the undelivered note even though I was in. So I'll pick it up from the post office tomorrow. :)
Also I've just been up to Morrisons and got two bunches of bananas for 5p each! So they'll be first in the dehydrator. :)

look forward to an update. post #51 I have updated & concluded my spud drying experiments/results

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE