Decide this weekend aways kit for me

As title do i go with the karrimor predator weighing in at 70ltr capacity nice cosy sleeping bag etc
or do i go with the swedish 40ltr canvas pack and two blankets minimal kit stuff?

you decide most votes will be what i go with

photos will be posted either way and as mesquite is meeting up with me on sunday he will be able to verify what i took.

yes i am feeling a little reckless

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:lmao::lmao:.... it might have been a bit wiser to put up the ultimate list Sam and let folks vote what you 15 items you can take from it...

Otherwise you're gonna get a lot of posts like Robbis... :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
are you going to a specific place? walking or driving? like the idea of a 15 items or less kit challenge. i think that would make a great thread!

Dave

Yup that looks like a challenge ...but Mesquite will have pleanty to share if you get into trouble! (if he gets to you in time!
Check the weather forcast before you decide :)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Tarp
Dossbag
Kipmat
Cup
Pot
Firesteel
bivibag
Water
Food
I think you should be able to get all that in a 20L sack,the bulkiest item will be the dossbag and the heaviest will be the water.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
15 items? tarp, bivy, quilt, mat, pot, firesteel, spork, water container (with only a little water in it as you can use the pot to scoop and go then get cooking water nearer camp). I assume the sack is not included and your clothing is also not in the 15. Also food is extra. So that leaves you with 7 spare items by my book. Perhaps take a hobo or woodgas stove so you can have an enclosed fire.

Depends where you going and how you are travelling. Above assumes water is available. Either boil or take purification just in case.

If you are going with someone else then there is more safety in going completely minimal. I did an overnighter with quilt, bivvy, mat and a tarp between two of us. That and the 1kg sack and the clothes I went to the pub in. Anything so I didn't have to drive home and stay sober. Unfortunately the hour long walk into the hills did that and I was too minimal to carry some malt in. Left it in the car.

I like this thread. Its a kind of how minimal can you really go? I know I can't go too minimal. I need to carry own shelter, bag/quilt (mine is 600g), bivvy bag, tarp and stove. Unfortunately my skills are not good enough to reliably make shelter out of what is around. Could if had to but not for planned night out. Could anyone go out with pretty much just a knife and firesteel and still have a pleasant time out?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yup that looks like a challenge ...but Mesquite will have pleanty to share if you get into trouble! (if he gets to you in time!
Check the weather forcast before you decide :)

:lmao: I'm only going for the day so my kit will be pretty light... brew kit, lunch, axe, knife, water, some wood for use to make bowdrill sets and a few other small bits and pieces....

Sam will have to go all night with whatever kit he takes with him so a big stick won't be much use :rolleyes:

So general view is 15 items eh?
ok i am game
robbi i could grab my luxury pack in 7mins :lmao:
a few more stipulations in the cold light of reality
i am taking but not counting a first aid kit
Same with my mobile -lisa is eleven weeks away from her due date for little un so i wont be risking missing that this and my FAK are my safety net and i wont risk myself or missing the birth of my firstborn sorry if it sounds unsporting :)
my smokes and paraphenalia are going but dont count.
rucksack doesnt count as one item
i am not wearing speedos
food whislt being one item will include brew kit i wont be counting that as a seperate item
Camera will be a seperate entity to provide proff i did it.

area is my usual campsite
i will be getting a lift there hopefully
i have a friend coming in theory but i will wait and see if he turns up either way i wont be using his kit (mines better) not mesquite another mate.
other than that i will give it a go.

initial kitlist idea
1 Knife

2 Sparkstick

3 Axe

4 Billy Can

5 Crusader mug

6 Spork

7 Food inc brew kit

8 Water

9 Poncho

10 Blankets

11 Bivi Bag

I must be mad!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well enjoy yourself. I am not quite out and about yet. Do most of my stuff in the hills of the Lakes so I am waiting for a bit more warmth. I am intending to see how bare I can make my kit this year. Reckon if I can buy a micro tarp from BPL-UK I will half my shelter (includes bivvy and tarp - current is about 600g Kathmandu basha but want thee 140g BPL-UK micro tarp). My aim is tarp, bivvy, quilt, mat (TAR or if I don't want to sleep much a 130g CCF that is then cut down), Whitebox stove, AGG 3 cup Al pot (cook kit inc stove, pot, windshield, reflector and fuel bottle) and one primaloft smock for extra warmth. Plus an opinel and a long handled Ti spoon. I don't think I need anything else but the clothes I use on a day walk (shell, base layer, trews, softshell fleece and a beanie hat).

I know this is more backpacking kit but that's what I intend to do this year is get my wildcamp kit down as low as possible without shelling out silly money. Basically existing kit but not taking any extras.

Anyway Sam, good on you for trying it in winter / early spring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE