Simple backpack for minimum kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
Hello everyone,

During my viking reenactment and ZS days (military-like version of scouts) I did some spring/autumn nights in the forest, so I have some basics but it has been some time now so You can treat me as a rookie. I want to go back to the hobby, will start out in spring with some good friends of mine (very experienced guys) but aim to take up solo hikes in the end. I need a good back pack to start out, I've been searching the internet day and night for last two days but I'm still not sure. What I need:

1. At the beginning i will do 24h trips, but the backpack needs to be fit for 72 hours in terrain. I will use minimal gear, very few comfy stuff so I guess 35-40 liters will be enough, yes or no?
2. The pack should be really durable, even if its going to mean it will be heavier and less comfy.
3. Im not a fan of military design. Molle, camelbacks - its all useless to me. The simpler the better.
4. Im don't want to spend much. This first pack is supposed to show me my preferences and allow me to start out, not last for lifetime. I will change it anyway when i get some experience.

From what Ive read here, best picks for me are:
1. Karrimor Sabre 35
2. Karrimor Sabre 45
3. Snugpack Sleeka Force 35
4. DD Hammocks Bergen
5. Some old army surplus pack, Swedish, Dutch or ALICE

Please say which pick are best, or suggest some better ones. I want to spend as few money as possible, cause i don't even yet know if this capacity will be enough for me, but if there are some more expensive packs that are really worth it, just tell me which army surplus pack is best and ill stick to it until I will get money for the better ones.

Thanks!

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
Less of a recommendation, more of a heads up.

Black Karrimor SF Sabre 45s are on sale here for 270,00 zł

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-sabre-45-litre-rucksack-798024

I guess they ship to Poland, giving they have Polish currency as an option.

When I open the site and select PLN as a currency it shows up 539 zloties. With GBP as currency its 99 pounds, so virtually the same. Perhaps Your price is because You have bought something earlier, or maybe i just need to sign up.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
LK35 cheap cheerful and built to last, also if you are going to change it you won't have spent too much on it.
Sabre 45 is built to last and easy to expand with side pockets.
How about Wisport packs.
Dutch issue Lowe alpine sting? Adjustable back so can be made to fit you and also built to last.
Lowe Alpine Strike 40ltr and expandable through side pouches.

I would go LK35 myself.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have owned a Sabre 45 and currently own a Snugpak Sleeka 35.
Both of those are great packs, but different.

It all depends on what else you may want the pack for and how determined you are to go 'minimal' and whether you may want some creature comforts (you will!) if you ever decide to go out in those cold, harsh, Polish winters!
Either pack is a great purchase. Both are no nonsense, purpose-designed, packs and both will see you right.

Someone earlier mentioned Wisport. Being a Polish pack you may be able to get them cheaper where you are. I have the Sparrow 20l and it is the best pack I've ever owned and it is the pack I use most. They also do a 30L version. Wisport do other models of pack but I think they start getting a bit heavy. Certainly their equivalent to the Sabre 45 (Racoon?) is heavier so why would you? Wisport are a military look with MOLLE, though they do them in civilian-friendly colours - I have mine in coyote tan and a friend has one in grey (the grey one looks really nice and if I was to buy one now that's the colour I'd get).

I think you would be very wise to go for the Sabre 45 offer from Sports Direct. At that price you won't find better. 45L is a good camping size (probably too big for just a day in the woods), it can be expanded with the addition of side pouches if you decide to take things seriously. It is well-built, a reasonable weight for its size, non-MOLLE, and in black looks quite civilian. That would be money well spent at that price. And with the money you save maybe you can buy a smaller (25/30L?) pack for days out.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Another vote for Wisport - I've got the 30l Sparrow and it's a beautiful pack! So comfortable to wear and I like the clam shell opening of the main compartment.

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
I have owned a Sabre 45 and currently own a Snugpak Sleeka 35.
Both of those are great packs, but different.

It all depends on what else you may want the pack for and how determined you are to go 'minimal' and whether you may want some creature comforts (you will!) if you ever decide to go out in those cold, harsh, Polish winters!
Either pack is a great purchase. Both are no nonsense, purpose-designed, packs and both will see you right.

Someone earlier mentioned Wisport. Being a Polish pack you may be able to get them cheaper where you are. I have the Sparrow 20l and it is the best pack I've ever owned and it is the pack I use most. They also do a 30L version. Wisport do other models of pack but I think they start getting a bit heavy. Certainly their equivalent to the Sabre 45 (Racoon?) is heavier so why would you? Wisport are a military look with MOLLE, though they do them in civilian-friendly colours - I have mine in coyote tan and a friend has one in grey (the grey one looks really nice and if I was to buy one now that's the colour I'd get).

I think you would be very wise to go for the Sabre 45 offer from Sports Direct. At that price you won't find better. 45L is a good camping size (probably too big for just a day in the woods), it can be expanded with the addition of side pouches if you decide to take things seriously. It is well-built, a reasonable weight for its size, non-MOLLE, and in black looks quite civilian. That would be money well spent at that price. And with the money you save maybe you can buy a smaller (25/30L?) pack for days out.

Thanks a lot for that huge reply. Yes, Wisport is what those "experienced friends of mine" suggested in the first place, and exactly it was Zipper Fox 40. By minimum comfort I mean i don't take like gas stoves, cutlery and stuff like that. Lets sum things up:

1. Sabre 45
2. Wisport
3. Sleeka 35
4. LK35
5. DD Hammocks Bergen

Can someone say a word about the last one? The capacity and storage room design is magnificent, also the option to use one of the pouches as a belt. Ive looked up 2 reviews, they all say its a good pack with durable material but so-so zippers and stiching. It costs 250 zloties though, very cheap, and the design is perfect for me. Should I forget about this pack straight away?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I've never owned the DD Bergan.
I know a lot of people say good things about them but I've never been that impressed with the DD stuff. They're not bad just...not good. In my opinion.
Specifically, I don't like how the pouches attach. I'm sure it's secure, but it just doesn't look secure enough to me. They look like they may flap about a bit. But I also don't like too much compartmentalising. I'd rather have one big compartment than lots of small ones to make up the literage. I'd rather have a bag with a single compartment of, say, 35L (for example) than a bag that carves that 35L up into two 5L pouches, a 10L pouch, and a main compartment of just 15L. You try getting a tarp, sleeping bag, mess kit and other essential items in that! No. I'd sooner take a 35L bag with a main compartment of that size and then a couple of small 'add on' pouches for smaller stuff - that's what I personally like about MOLLE bags. And that's what I don't like about the DD Bergan - all that space is cut up into several small compartments.

That said, the DD could be a good day pack. It's modular design would mean you could take whatever parts of the bag are needed for the day. But I would very strongly doubt that it is big enough for a 72 hour weekend out. Especially in a climate that can be as chilly as Poland's. The DD bergan is cheap though, so what about getting both the Sabre 45 AND the DD? You'd have a very good '2 pack system' there with a great deal of flexibility. And, with the Sabre 45 being at such a good price, it won't break the bank either. You'd have a good pack for day's out or single nights out (the DD) and a good pack for those longer trips or if you need extra space for warm clothing in the winter (the Sabre 45).

A one-pack-fits-all solution almost certainly doesn't exist, I'm afraid. But with canny purchases you may be able to keep the costs down and get two bags to cover all your needs!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
There is no such thing as a bushcraft pack.

So the the best thing to do is find a rucksack that fits you comfortably in a colour you like for a price that you can afford.

I tendto stay clear of any army surplus. Read not very good and heavy.

Soldiers are expendable and so it their kit which is why so much of it is floating around. Plus in my opinion is gives out the wrong impression to the public of survivalist nut jobs

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
I've never owned the DD Bergan.
I know a lot of people say good things about them but I've never been that impressed with the DD stuff. They're not bad just...not good. In my opinion.
Specifically, I don't like how the pouches attach. I'm sure it's secure, but it just doesn't look secure enough to me. They look like they may flap about a bit. But I also don't like too much compartmentalising. I'd rather have one big compartment than lots of small ones to make up the literage. I'd rather have a bag with a single compartment of, say, 35L (for example) than a bag that carves that 35L up into two 5L pouches, a 10L pouch, and a main compartment of just 15L. You try getting a tarp, sleeping bag, mess kit and other essential items in that! No. I'd sooner take a 35L bag with a main compartment of that size and then a couple of small 'add on' pouches for smaller stuff - that's what I personally like about MOLLE bags. And that's what I don't like about the DD Bergan - all that space is cut up into several small compartments.

That said, the DD could be a good day pack. It's modular design would mean you could take whatever parts of the bag are needed for the day. But I would very strongly doubt that it is big enough for a 72 hour weekend out. Especially in a climate that can be as chilly as Poland's. The DD bergan is cheap though, so what about getting both the Sabre 45 AND the DD? You'd have a very good '2 pack system' there with a great deal of flexibility. And, with the Sabre 45 being at such a good price, it won't break the bank either. You'd have a good pack for day's out or single nights out (the DD) and a good pack for those longer trips or if you need extra space for warm clothing in the winter (the Sabre 45).

A one-pack-fits-all solution almost certainly doesn't exist, I'm afraid. But with canny purchases you may be able to keep the costs down and get two bags to cover all your needs!

I owe You a pint mate, thanks a lot for the effort of explaining it all. With that being said I made my decision - Im getting Sabre 45 now, as discount probably won't last long, and I won't be able to afford the pack after it expires. DD Bergen is available at polish shops and the price is constant without any signs of change. I would buy it anyway along the way someday, and as You said there is no "one-for-everything" backpack, and Karrimor surely won't disappoint me. It will be better to later discover that Bergen suits me better, than buy it now and get angry that its not enough and I should've buy Sabre. Summing up:
1. The choice is Sabre 45 because of a once-in-a-lifetime discount
2. Additionally, I will buy DD Bergen later. If it wasn't for the sports direct discount, that would probably be my choice
3. I will also someday buy the LK35 bag if I find one in good condition. They're pretty cheap and I absolutely love the vintage design.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I discarded the NI Patrol Pack because of its heavy military design, which I try to avoid. Wisport was discarded because of its slightly higher price, but thats probably a backpack I will get next after getting some experience.

The tread is over, can be closed.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm a big fan of the lowe alpine "air zone" packs, i have a small daypack sized one and its brilliant, keeps your back from pouring with sweat too.

Tonyuk

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
I found out there are 2 Sportdirect shops in my city. Ill ride to them ASAP and see if the Sabre 45's are available there. I highly doubt it, but shipping from UK costs 44 zloties, so its a fair price. Also, a curio about DD Bergen - the only reviews I could find were from pre-2015. The packs were grey then and people complained mostly about stitches and a bit about zippers. I wrote and email to DD to ask if the new, vivid green pack available at their website is somehow different or is it just the color. Here is what they replied:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your email -

The colour of the Bergen Rucksack we currently sell is indeed the vivid
green colour in the photos; the one used in the video will have been an
older version (pre-2015) and was a different colour. We have since
improved the design slightly, and reinforced the lining so it is more
robust than before. We have also added further inner pockets.

Hope that clears things up - keep in touch with any further questions!

Kind regards

Jocasta

So the stitching might be better now. I will buy the pack in a month or two and review it here.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got a wisport riendeer which i think is an awsome pack for middle to lightweight bushcrafting.
never seen the DD bergan in the flesh, but i'v seen what lookd to be the same pack direct from china for very little money, i don't believe it to be a quality item

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I bought a DD bergan a couple of weeks ago, was on sale so very inexpensive compared to similar sized packs that I was looking at, plus the detachable parts make it ideal for leaving bits behind when not needed.

Not yet been able to put it to any real test, but first impressions are good. Looks more than roomy enough for my needs, feels good on my back (albeit empty so far) plus all the straps not only fit me, but have plenty more adjustment to them available too!

Only time will tell if it really does suit my needs, but for now I'm very happy with it :)

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
I bought a DD bergan a couple of weeks ago, was on sale so very inexpensive compared to similar sized packs that I was looking at, plus the detachable parts make it ideal for leaving bits behind when not needed.

Not yet been able to put it to any real test, but first impressions are good. Looks more than roomy enough for my needs, feels good on my back (albeit empty so far) plus all the straps not only fit me, but have plenty more adjustment to them available too!

Only time will tell if it really does suit my needs, but for now I'm very happy with it :)

Thats great, please write a short note in this thread or my inbox how it worked out in the wilderness. After I complete my minimum kit, DD Bergen will probably be my 1st thing to buy. I just can't stress enough how i love the rectangular design of one huge pack and two smaller on the sides. Fits exactly for the stuff I need to carry. From what Ive found, DD Bergen and Snugpak Rocketpak/Bergen are the only industry made backpacks of this type excluding army surplus.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hello everyone,

During my viking reenactment and ZS days (military-like version of scouts) I did some spring/autumn nights in the forest, so I have some basics but it has been some time now so You can treat me as a rookie. I want to go back to the hobby, will start out in spring with some good friends of mine (very experienced guys) but aim to take up solo hikes in the end. I need a good back pack to start out, I've been searching the internet day and night for last two days but I'm still not sure. What I need:

1. At the beginning i will do 24h trips, but the backpack needs to be fit for 72 hours in terrain. I will use minimal gear, very few comfy stuff so I guess 35-40 liters will be enough, yes or no?
2. The pack should be really durable, even if its going to mean it will be heavier and less comfy.
3. Im not a fan of military design. Molle, camelbacks - its all useless to me. The simpler the better.
4. Im don't want to spend much. This first pack is supposed to show me my preferences and allow me to start out, not last for lifetime. I will change it anyway when i get some experience.

From what Ive read here, best picks for me are:
1. Karrimor Sabre 35
2. Karrimor Sabre 45
3. Snugpack Sleeka Force 35
4. DD Hammocks Bergen
5. Some old army surplus pack, Swedish, Dutch or ALICE

Please say which pick are best, or suggest some better ones. I want to spend as few money as possible, cause i don't even yet know if this capacity will be enough for me, but if there are some more expensive packs that are really worth it, just tell me which army surplus pack is best and ill stick to it until I will get money for the better ones.

Thanks!

I would say look at the Exped Lightning 45 or 60. It carries load better than any other pack I've found, it's not cheap, and it doesn't have the same military appearance of the ones you list, But it's a great pack, plenty of room, very comfy, and durable. I wrote a review [thread=138101]here[/thread]

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE