Simple backpack for minimum kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
1. At the beginning i will do 24h trips, but the backpack needs to be fit for 72 hours in terrain. I will use minimal gear, very few comfy stuff so I guess 35-40 liters will be enough, yes or no?
2. The pack should be really durable, even if its going to mean it will be heavier and less comfy.
3. Im not a fan of military design. Molle, camelbacks - its all useless to me. The simpler the better.
4. Im don't want to spend much. This first pack is supposed to show me my preferences and allow me to start out, not last for lifetime. I will change it anyway when i get some experience.

1 is what you expect, but buy your gear first, and use it, then see where you stand sizewise ;). 30-40l is good for an overnighter in summer or good spring/fall weather at best. The gear might not look like it's that big, but things seem to get bigger as you put them in your pack since everything doesn't fit perfectly and some things you don't think of will take more place.

I used to think the same way as you about 2. After actually going out, i've come to the conclusion that 2 is far from true anymore ;). Most actual backpacking packs, will be more than durable enough at a fraction of the weight. I've got a Sabre 45, and while it's a good pack, i'm looking for a replacement which is lighter. Specifically the Exos (since it has a spare hydration sleeve which isn't in the main compartment)

3: a camelbak can be very handy, really helps you keep hydrated when you're hiking. You'll more quickly reach for it, than getting your drinking bottle out of your pack (or even out of the side pockets of your pack, it's just a pain in the bottom sometimes ;) ).

Just get your gear first, and then get a pack which fits and carries it well. Get a good pack, which transfers the weight well to the hipbelt, the shoulder straps should only stabilize the pack, not carry any weight and be sure you can try the pack on before buying, with a load in it, for a decent time, so you can feel how it actually carries. Your back will thank you later ;). Getting a bad pack will most likely just turn you away from camping because it's just not fun to hike somewhere for a couple of hours while being uncomfortable, then set camp, and then look forward to more uncomfortable hours the next day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE