Decent wind-up torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Anyone able to recommend a good wind-up torch?

I want something to keep in the car where I don't have to worry about batteries running down. Needs to be bright enough to find loose change that's rolled down the side of the seats, or check the straps on a cycle carrier (rather than illuminate my way up Ben Nevis!). So only needs to hold 5-10 mins of charge at a time but brighter the better!

I've seen a few around that seem pretty good but wondered if anyone's got a good one.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Wilkinsons sell this one, I think its pretty good, I keep it in my kit when Im fishing just incase my battery's fail in my head torch, its also got added bonus of ability to charge ur mobile if the need arises, (it will charge real slow prob, no good to make a call from but its enough to send texts if you need too) oh the loop part of the body shown in the pic is a built in carabina style clip,
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/torche...D5ckTwx4gGk9NGxRQ2HoBcTxJmxJa8Ar IS49VztZhg==

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Will the batteries last for several months sat in the car? Especially over the winter when there's a lot of heating up and cooling down?

I had one of these that I bought in a pack of 2 for £1 on my keys for years and it just worked fine, quite bright too for what it is

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I got one of these in a trade a while back and pretty impressed with it due to its internal tech.

Ultracapacitor hand crank torch - Lightstorm CL1

Just purchased this 2nd hand from someone , its described as a "Ultracapacitor hand crank torch "

So far I'm impressed by it capability and output for a small hand cranked model , although the shape is ergonomic enough for the hand ,I thinks I could design a better shape and charging mechanism.
I'm not sure if the claims to its USP are correct or not , that the Carbon Ultra Capacitor with outlive other hand charged units that use standard batteries.

It has three central LED'S, two work together as a flood light and the third is a powerful little spot beam. The hand crank is smooth but well built. The babble on the box says it can be charged over 100000 times ( thats quite a few walks back from the pub!!)

The spot light duration at full charge is 15 mins , the dual flood lights on full charge 20 mins. Full charge is achieved after 2 minutes of 'cranking'

It also has an extra ability for a cable to be inserted into the side of the torch and then utilized as a hand charger for phones etc.

Nifty little bit of kit , I think i would/design it better with some additional features but its good at what it does.

http://www.appliedinnotech.com/products ... rm-cl1.php

"LightStorm CL1

Crank flashlights are not all the same. The LightStorm CL1 crank flashlight uses a Carbon Ultra-Capacitor to store energy - all other crank flashlights use non-replaceable rechargeable batteries and will quickly end up in a landfill when their batteries fail to work. The LightStorm CL1 crank flashlight also features a specially designed parabolic reflector that collects and projects the high intensity light from the Quasar LED into a piercing beam able to spot illuminate objects up to 80 feet away. Its capabilities don't stop there, the highly efficient CL1 dynamo flashlight can also flood illuminate a 12-ft (4m) area up to 20-ft (6m) away using 2 StarCore LEDs. LightStorm CL1 also has a built-in power jack and comes with a charging cable and Mini USB connector which is suitable for charging Motorola V3, V6, and Blackberry phones as well as MP3 and MP4 music players. Other cell phone connectors can be purchased separately.

Perfect For:
# General utility work
# Backpacking and Hiking
# Home, Vehicle and Work Emergency Kits

Special Features:
# 2 light settings: Spot Light and Flood Light
# Built-in power jack for charging music players and cell phones
# Durable and water resistant construction
# ABS housing will hold up to diesel fuel and motor oil

Performance Specs:
# Quasar 1/2 watt (105,000 mcad) LED will Spot Illuminate a 9-ft (3m) diameter area at a distance of 80-ft (26m).
# 2 StarCore® (15,000 mcad) LEDs will Flood Illuminate a 12-ft (4m) diameter area at a distance of 20-ft (6m).
# Spot Light duration on a full charge: 15 minutes
# Flood Light duration on full charge: 20 minutes
# 2 minutes of cranking fully charges capacitor power cell
# Capacitor can be recharged over 100,000 times
# Storage temp: - 40F (- 40C) to 140F (60C)
# Operational temp: -50º F (-45º C) to +140º F (70º C)

Physical Specs:
# Length: 6 inches (15 cm)
# Width: 2 inches (5 cm)
# Height: 1.8 inches (4.4 cm)
# Weight: 7.4 ounce (207 grams)
# Color: Slate Gray Housing with Red Front Bezel"

Link to review. http://www.stu-offroad.com/prodrev/ligh ... torm-2.htm

Sticker on the end of the box;- http://www.flashlightsunlimited.com/index.htm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Will the batteries last for several months sat in the car? Especially over the winter when there's a lot of heating up and cooling down?

I have some that must be two years old maybe three and are still fine. I have a wind up radio from Wilkinsons which are about £5 and has a built in torch but these little torches fit your purpose better IMHO

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I bought an inexpensive windup a while ago, what appealed to me was that it had a solar charge on the top (and crank undreneath). This means it always stays charged and ready to go, even though it only gets limited light when in the car. If it does go flat, I can just wind it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE