Any good Wind Up solar radios.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There seems to be a generic amount of wind up / solar powered small radio units with additional functions but are any of them any good?

I don't mid paying decent money for a decent unit but I want something that is going to work and not break in the short term

Can anyone vouch for any of them ??

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Freeplay brand are still the best in my opinion. Early ones are robust and employ a mixture of solar, wind-up and short term storage of power to give 30 mins of listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee
G

Gra_farmer2

The running snail red radio is a very good cheap radio, all other battery amp rating is far below the 2000 mill amp hour rating

Last edited by a moderator:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Pretty sure the battery is just an 18650, so if can get the case open without destruction it'd should be a easy to replace with a known good quality one.

Had a look though the hank cranks a couple of weeks, not convinced by any of them. Thought the Eton's might be good, but the review on Grunt Proof channel wasn't favorable.
Otgher brand might be decent is the Sangean.

Think might give up on a cranked radio, and go in a total different direction, and try an SDR dongle + mobile phone. Atleast try it out (mainly for phone battery life), just got find my USB dongle. Video of using a SDR dongle and Android Phone

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've got a Freeplay Summit and another smaller Freeplay. Neither are in production any longer, but if other Freeplay radios are like these two, I'd definitely recommend them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE