Decent reasonably priced compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
As per the title, can anyone suggest a decent and reliable compass, at a reasonable price?

Blacks and Millets want 15-20 quid for one, which seems quite expensive - is this a fair price?

I don;t want a cr*p one - the needle on cheaper ones seem relectant to swing to North, and I don;t want to end up going in the wrong direction.

Your experiance and guidance would be most welcome!

Thanks

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have a Silva type 4 which I have used for years. £15-20 is a fair price in a shop (you get what you pay for), but have a look on ebay,there are a few of them on there for much less. I prefer a longer compass as it makes it easier to take a bearing over a longer distance on a map.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I havve an older (early 1980s) Silva Explorer. IIRC it cost about $20 back then so allowing for inflation, over a 30 year period, 15-20 GBP sounds more than reasonable.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a Silva type 4 which I have used for years. £15-20 is a fair price in a shop (you get what you pay for), but have a look on ebay,there are a few of them on there for much less. I prefer a longer compass as it makes it easier to take a bearing over a longer distance on a map.

I have several Silva models, can't go wrong with a type 4 I reckon. :)

There are a few on ebay, I've never thought about picking one up from there before, this one looks ok.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Don't muck around with a compass if your doing nav with it. Buy a branded one. I got a Silva Type 4 Mils compass 19 yrs ago and paid £25 (Still going strong). The same compass today is about £32! They are cheaper now than ever.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Silva all the way, the swinging needles on cheap models is generally down to not having any fluid to dampen the needle movement.
Had a quick search on the yellow compass above and apparently some used to be filled with kerosene which would make it yellow. There is a white kerosene now as well as various oils. Looking in more detail aviation oil is very expensive which would account for most of the cost on the expensive models I would say.

Last edited:

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Every time there's a thread like this, on any forum, the recommendations come in for the Silva 4 Expedition. For the same price you can get a Recta DO 590, same quality, but it also has a declinometer and an inclinometer.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Perhaps, but I've never heard of Recta. However, I know Silva are a reliable brand and I've never heard of a shonky one leading someone off a cliff in the fog.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Recta are a Swiss brand, now owned by Suunto. Every bit as good as Silva, but don't have the same brand recognition in the anglosphere. In some European countries recta are the known brand and Silva the forgotten one.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Thanks for the info, tinderbox. I'll bear that in mind.

Although, that said - with something like a compass there is an advantage to buying one you know will work.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Absolutely Wook, although most falls off cliffs in Scottish hills aren't due to faulty equipment. The Ben Nevis plateau is a navigation nightmare in a white out. Other than than that it's mostly stupidity that gets folk killed, like trying to find the Goat Path in Coire an t-Sneachda rather than taking the safe route through Coire Cas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE