Teach me about sleeping bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag.

So far I've only ever used a cheapy no brand bag but since I intend on mor outings and not just when it is very warm, I want to invest on something a good bit warmer.

I know very little about sleeping bags, except that down is light and expensive and not so good when wet, and synthetic is bulkier and cheaper. I've done a search and read a lot of threads on here, but I'm still not confident I'll pick the right bag.

I can spend between 50 and 100 quid, but would like to keep the cost at the lower end if possible. I should also add that I'm in Ireland, so postage will be an issue. I'm also going to have a look at local camping shops when I get a chance, but I'd like to be somewhat educated on bags before I do this, since these shops are notorious for hiring conmen ;) haha

I'm looking for a 3 or 4 season bags, I like centre zips, but that's not essential. If it packs down small, all the better, but weight doesn't particularly bother me. I'm 6'1" and very slim, if that helps.

I've been browsing around and looking at the snugpack range, maybe the sleeper extreme will do, but the elite 4 and 5 seem good too. Are these bags any good and can anyone recommend them and where to buy?

I've also been on ebay looking at military bags, but these confuse me a little and I don't really no what I'm looking at. Can anyone educate me on military bags and suggest a warm, reasonably priced option and somewhere to buy.

Thanks in advance :You_Rock_

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well if you want an inexpensive bag that is durable, has a centre zip, will keep you comfy in cold weather and is easy to look after. Assuming you don't mind a bit of bulk or weight, I would go for a British issue bag like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4170bd9c7e

I love the zips on these as you can just push the bag open but somehow it never opens during the night when you are sleeping. I used one in -32C and was fine. The bag has two mesh pockets inside for keeping phone, socks or whatever in and the compression sack is good to have as you can really pack the bag in hard.

The one I have I can't see me ever getting rid of. The one I linked is a medium and is probably too short for anyone over 5'10" so you would need to find a long one.

This winter I have been experimenting with a fishing sleeping bag, it's also very warm, very bulky and cheap but is fleece lined and square and is massive inside. I think it's this one:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/x-tuff-4-5-season-sleeping-bag-p157152

Well impressed with it over the last winter in cold dry and cold damp conditions. The fleece inside really helps it feel warm as soon as you get into it.

Other than that, if you can get one cheap, buffalo sleeping bags are as good as I have seen for sensible money.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My personal rule is spend to the top of your budget and get the warmest bag you can. If you don't need the full warmth you can always unzip it or use it like a quilt, but a bag that isn't keeping you warm enough is not nice at all.

Talk to the staff in your local camping stores as well. They may be able to recommend something, or even have one you can try for a fit. Not all of them are conmen.

To be honest the general quality of bags has gone up, so now you can get a perfectly reasonable bag even from somewhere like Mountain Warehouse (example chosen not through any affiliation but because it is my local store). Apart from that, down bags are still the warmest, lightest, and pack the smallest, but also cost the most and are ineffective when wet and harder to clean. You need to decide if you want a drawstring to pull the bag around your face too. Some people like that (it keeps your head warm), some don't like feeling closed in and deaf. The other factor is shape - mummy bags are a bit warmer than rectangular ones because of the closer fit, but more restrictive. Again it comes down to personal preference.

Oh yes, and if you plan to use it in a hammock, don't do what I managed to do and get a sleeping bag with a zip on the opposite side to the hammock. It makes getting in an almighty struggle.

My recommendation? Get the best (warmest) synthetic bag you can, from a respected manufacturer (snugpak since you mention them, are good).

Tow other things to consider. A sleeping bag liner can add a lot of warmth for little weight or expense, and gives you some flexibility besides, and a decent mat under your bag also makes a huge difference to the performance of the bag and your comfort whilst using it. Make sure you consider that when settling on your budget.

Hope these ramblings help. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Certainly no kit expert but I recently was in the same position as you and my findings were:-

Lighter weight and smaller pack size = more cost.
There didnt seem to be much in the middle price wise with a military bag being very cheap and effective and everything else being MUCH more expensive.
Unless you can buy seconds or second hand you are certainly looking at the upper end of your budget minimum.

The military UK winter bag served me well for years and i will still use it in the more extreme - temps. I only upgraded as i got a bargain from Barethrills of this house.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The army issue bag will certainly keep you warm but it is heavy & bulky..................margianally lighter & a smudgen less bulky is the Snugpak sleeper extreme that you've already mentioned. I like mine, offers everything I want in a bag & the quality/ price/efficiency is pretty damn good. For £40 you can't really go wrong. Ain't that lightweight at just over 2 kg & at around 30 liters in it's stuff sack it's not really suitable for the smaller ruckys................. I'm a ground dweller though, if I was swinging in a hammock I think I might want something a little more substantial :D

DSCF8392.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It might be worth considering an outer (perhaps as well as a liner as suggested already) for your existing bag. That will add warmth and flexibility and could be a lot cheaper. It could even be waterproof, like a bivvy. You can get an ex-issue bivvy bag cheaper than your budget and it will do more than just another sleeping bag. Most 'sleeping systems' are multi-part nowadays.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Hi mate. In my opinion if you want a simple relatively cheap bag that will meet all your requirements then the british army arctic bag (synthetic full length central zip) is very good. It is however also very heavy and very warm. If you want something a bit more refined and adaptable I can highly recommend the Nanok Comfort Down -10. It is lightweight, packs pretty small, is warm and has zips down both sides, which means you can adjust you temperature easily. It also makes getting in and out easily. I think they do a synthetic version of the same bag which is a bit cheaper.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Also have a look at the US army issue modular system, it has a gortex outer a summer and a winter inner bag combine all 3 and it is rated down to -50, I recently picked up one on ebay for a little under £70, used but you would not realy know it

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thank you for all the replies, some really great information to consider there.

I'm keepoing an eye out on ebay for the various military bags you guys have recommended. In the mean time, can anyone recommend online retailers for sleeping bags, perhaps those you have recommended?
It seems some of the snugpak stuff on ebay is quite good value, but is there likely to be fakes floating around? Seems like I should go for an elite 4 or 5 if i go this option, since they are within my budget and have better temperature ratings.

Tagnut69, have you used the modular system yet? How does it compare to others for weight etc?

Inky, any suggestions for an online retailer for the nanok?

rg598

Native
If you are looking at sleeping bags in the lower price range, you have to be very specific about the temperatures you are likely to encounter. I say that because you can actually find cheap, relatively light, relatively compressible sleeping bags for milder temperatures. For example, I use the patrol (warm weather bag) from the US army surplus MSS system. It is rated to 0C (32F). It weighs 2lb 5oz, and compresses very well.

However, if you decide to go to colder weather, cheap (usually synthetic) bags, their weight and volume increases exponentially. So, if you don't plan on being out in anything much below 0C, then you can find a decent bag for the money. My point is, don't go to a lower temperature rating than you need. You will pay a steep price in weight a bulk. Getting a warmer bag than you actually need "just in case" is not the best approach.

Money is probably better spent on a good sleeping pad. Get something with high R value (over 4). It makes a huge difference in warmth. A liner can also add a lot of warmth for low cost.

If you actually need a much warmer sleeping bag, then I'm afraid the high quality ones cost quite a bit. If you want to keep the price low, you will pay in weight and bulk. I would stay away from used bags because the insulation can be very easily damaged by improper use. You may get lucky, but you may end up wasting your money, and it's not always easy to say which one it will be.

I would also stay away from center zips. They are not the best use of insulation. That's why very few manufacturers offer such bags.

Anyway, that's my $.02

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I don't mean to thread hijack but is there a wool-based sleeping bag out there? I have breathing problems with feather down bags and duvets so use a wool duvet rather than sweaty synthetic at home. I might make one out of old wool blankets and the Czech bedroll but that could get heavy since blankets aren't really lofty.

Mar 1, 2013
Durham
If you have the money get a british army issue sleeping bag, (artic type) they have a comfort rating of -12c and extreme of -20c. About £40 at an army navy store, but they mostley come with rips in them and broken zips so you'll need to repair them a hell of alot!
Cheers
Sam

markmullen

Oct 4, 2012
North Yorkshire
I got the American military modular system and have been really pleased with it, it has coped with sub zero in the Brecon Beacons in November through to 35 degrees in Le Mans in June. It isn't the smallest or lightest but I'm usually in a car or 4x4 so not an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE