Death in the Long Grass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not sure if this is the right section, but........
Some of my favourite books were written by Peter Hathaway-Capstick, an American stockbroker who chucked in life in the city to hunt Jaguar in South and Central America, then work as a Professional Hunter in Africa.

He has written a lot on dangerous game, man-eaters, and things that can make life in the outdoors exciting. A lot was written in the 70s so the stuff about conservation is interesting to compare to the current problems.

I have never been able to watch "Big Cat Diary" quite the same since reading his books. :-?

Chris

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I remember reading a lot of his books when I was younger and dreaming of doing some of the things that he did.

Was it him who shot himself in the foot when he was trying to kill a jaguar that had grabbed him by the leg? I'm sure I recall some such story.

George :-D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Unless he re-wrote the event it wasn't that he shot himself. As I read it he shot the jaguar and thinking it was dead went and poked it with his foot. It promptly bit through his boot and made rather a mess of the foot. What was more it then got up and disappeared into the undergrowth. I reckon that is probably the way of it, he never seemed to be shy of saying that he did dumb things or screwed up.

I have read 8 of his books and they had the opposite effect on me. I really am not all that keen on seeing Africa :wink: now hehe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE