Can anyone recommend some Freebie "fill in the blanks" BLOG sites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got some exciting changes in my life coming up soon which will involve a lot of doing real life stuff that I would like to keep a record off to share with friends and family.

Now I've seen blogs online but I simply don't know how to even set one up. So can anyone recommend me some websites that are rather like "fill in the blank parts" that allow me to add text, photos, videos and such?

I'm looking at this as a diary of sorts to post a record of my progress, possibly which will allow people to leave comments as well. So I need something pretty simple because my building a website skills are non-existant.

No, I DON'T want to use Farcebook if it has a built in function like that there already.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Much better to have your own server/hosting (like me) but if you're new to even setting up a site then pre-prepared hosting or free blogging sites would be more suitable.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Back to the Google+ thing, there are two elements that might appeal to you.

The 'About' page and the 'Posts' page.

The 'About' page is essentially a landing page for folks looking for you on the internets. If you have galleries online with flickr or you post Youtube videos etc. You can list them here to let folks find the stuff you want them to find along with any spiel or biography you might want them to read.

The 'Posts' section is essentially an easy blogging platform, you can post text, photos or movies for all or a few to see.

I am given to believe that Facebook allow you to lock down who can see certain posts on your Facebook page, if you can it doesn't appear to be an easy thing to set up.

If you are using Google+ to post daily updates for a project or family photos it is fairly straightforward to limit who can see what. You do so by collecting friends, family, colleagues or customers into 'Circles'. More on that on the Google site.

As an example you could check out the Google+ page of Paul Kirtley of Frontier Bushcraft.

His 'About' page.

His 'Posts' page.

Anything else?

Well the NSA are going to be looking at all your stuff but they are probably doing that anyway. Google are very big on letting you 'takeout' or export anything you put on their servers so you can move it somewhere else or back it up locally which is a big plus point for me.

You get an unlimited amount of photo,movie and document storage (photos automatically reduced to 2048 pixels and movies must be less then 15mins in length) which is nice.

:)

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

I use blogger as a photo diary of working as a park ranger http://rangerorric.blogspot.co.uk/ . nothing fancy only three pages...one page about me. one with links to other good blogs and of course the finest forum on the net......BCUK just in case you wondered and page for my pics.

works online on PC or as most often as an app on my iphone.

Its really simple to use and there are decent instructions online if you get stuck :)

good luck and keep us posted with how you get on mate

Biker

Whoa! Thanks for the feedback fellas (and Lady). Bit overwhelming with the suggestions and I'm going to have to investigate each and make a choice, but thanks for taking the time to post them. I'll share the news once I know more about it myself.

Much better to have your own server/hosting (like me) but if you're new to even setting up a site then pre-prepared hosting or free blogging sites would be more suitable.

My thoughts exactly. There are some things I can do with a PC but building a website is waaaaay out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't know what to do with a domain name if I held it in my hands. :lmao:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whoa! Thanks for the feedback fellas (and Lady). Bit overwhelming with the suggestions and I'm going to have to investigate each and make a choice, but thanks for taking the time to post them. I'll share the news once I know more about it myself.

My thoughts exactly. There are some things I can do with a PC but building a website is waaaaay out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't know what to do with a domain name if I held it in my hands. :lmao:

Have a word with the guy who runs your drawings site Aaron... there may well be spare capacity to host a blog site there.

Biker

Have a word with the guy who runs your drawings site Aaron... there may well be spare capacity to host a blog site there.

Good point except that it would mean he'd have to add the info (unless I learnt and I don't trust myself not to accidentally delete something vital) he already does a shed load of work on the place. So as much as I know Torben's a top bloke and trust him, I think I'll do this myself and not add to his workload.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
try tumblr they do a free blog as eell i set it up easily enough and I'm a dimwit when it comes to computers regards dave

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE