Dealing with small patches of wall damp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Cure the source of the damp first. Then look at sealing it

As above, leaking gutter? down pipe? crack? roof? leaking pipe? soil against the wall? Damp has a source, if you don't cure the cause you're wasting your time. Is it rented? if so get the landlord to sort it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Actually I think it's called 'old government built house with solid walls'.

As has been said, find the problem and treat that. Don't attempt to treat the symptom, it won't work.

Most houses with solid walls relied on a layer of waterproof mortar called 'rendering' to prevent water wicking into the house. It needs to be in good condition.
After quite a few decades it probably won't be, so it may need to be repaired or replaced.

Roof coverings, guttering, downpipes, back-inlet gullies, drains and any soakaways need to be inspected and if necessary maintained.

Openings such as windows, doors and vents will all have some means of waterproofing, these will also need to be inspected and maintained if necessary.

Welcome to the private sector!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Could just be a lack of ventilation. Modern houses aren't draughty and humidity builds up especially if showers are being used or washing is being dried inside. Condensation forms where hot meets cold and then damp quickly follows. If it's on a upstairs ceiling lagging the attic can help. A better ventilation fan in a bathroom will help a lot too. We had a small 2 bedroom flat way back when and invested in a small dehumidifier which completely cured the window wall and ceiling damp we were getting.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can quick fix it with a damp seal paint and then overcoat but it won't last in all probability. You must follow Ged's sound advice. Most problems are caused by a simple water ingress from lack of rainwater management and maintainence.

Definite no-no to the PVA. Thompsons damp seal at the very least. If there are salt deposits(efloressence), it's an old problem. If not, it's a newish one.

There are 2 ways of doing a job; right or again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE