DD Tarp Problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Went up to Glen Kinglass, between Glen Orchy and Glen Etive, to tarp and hammock out and do a munro today. Easy 1hr walk in to a great wee forrest.

Got the hammock and tarp up, new NANOk-10 bagin, laid back with a cuppa and watching the boiling pasta below the hammock within hands reach. Bag feeling toasty below me. Next, disaster, tarp ripped where two eyes join. No triangle of re-inforcement. It was very gusty and rained from 6.30 till 10pm when I left the site. Got back to the car 11ish. I was warm and dry apart from this. Did not want a survival situation :( rain was stiling spewing in. Also there is a seam off centre to one side which was dripping and wet my bag. :(

Not very good quality. Bought in Nov 06, Travel Hammock. Should have taken my
gore tex bivvy bag as well. The hammock is excellent with the built in mozzy net. The tarp was fine 3wks agoon the SOTP meet at Inchcailloch, but it was light showers. Holding the tarp up to daylight you can actually see thru both layers.

Any tarp recommendations ? May just make my own. Especially since it's actually obvious after trying to keep dryand kit dry, in string winds and heavy rain 3/3m is two small. Diamond pitching is good forthe hammock but limits the space for cooking and gear. Next tiem I will put the sleeping bag in the bivvy bag then unroll it, preventing it from getting wet.

Some photos of the problem here
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/scott_vzr_black

Nick

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thats bad luck with the tarp :(

I have a kathmandu trekking ultra lightweight tarps and they are very well made too. Have used it all year round and (other than my one - long story) they are faultless imho. Although I'm not sure they are still being made.

So i'd second the tatonka tarp.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Scots_Charles_River said:
Yeah, but I think a 4x4 or bigger is better.
Could make one for lot less than those prices. :)

Nick

Starts to get a bit more work to pitch when you get to these sizes. There are problems finding spots with sufficient space. For one person and hammock I would recommend a 3 x 4m tarp for the best weather protection and maximum flexibility. In saying that I have used a 3 x 3 tatonka in some really wild conditions and never got wet yet.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The seam design and size was limiting in the rain and wind. Admittedly hanging the hammock just off the deck would have helped.

The conditions were ferocious and this setup below would have helped.

Nick

TarptentClosedYoungblood.jpg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The seam design and size was limiting in the rain and wind. Admittedly hanging the hammock just off the deck would have helped.

The conditions were ferocious and this setup below would have helped.

Nick

TarptentClosedYoungblood.jpg

Its a nice idea but if you are going to go to these lengths you might aswell get a lghtweight one / two man tent!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Silverback said:

Yeah thats the tarp, mine is 3mx2.5m though. They are made by a family run company, but the chap sadly died last year, or the one before, and im not sure if his wife is still producing them or not. I can't find their website right now. They are very nice tarps, very light, good fixture points on it and very strong material too.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
andyn said:
They are made by a family run company, but the chap sadly died last year, or the one before, and im not sure if his wife is still producing them or not.

I've tried emailing and phoning them several times over the last couple of weeks and not had any joy. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has heard anything recently.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Roger at Bison Bushcraft sells Kathmandu tarps with some extra loops on 'em. 2.5m x 2.5m.

I had one direct from Kathmandu years ago and they are great, very light and pack tiny.

As for the 4m x 4m tarp or bigger... not for me!!! 4m x 3m is massive and has afforded me some great protection from the elements... I even get myself and my girlfriend hammocking under the 1 tarp. I like to look out on my environment so the total enclosure/isolation really doesn't appeal.

Cheers,

Joe

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I had a DD trap and gave it away. I'm afraid I wasn't impressed although I love the hammocks.

I use a Tatonka 3m x 3m and so far it's ok. My smaller tarp is a Kathmandu. I love these tarps and I will probably buy a larger tarp from them.

Here's the website:

http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/catalogue.html

I'm not sure it's operational due to others comments. I hope they recover soon, 'cos it's a great company.

Pablo

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Kathmandu Trekking made me a tarp. It's 2,5 x 2,5. She still makes them. Wendy is her name. I got mine like 8 months ago. Very lightweight. VERY good price. For a little extra $ she makes you a few extra loops. You can specify what you want.

If someone likes to have her email address just PM me. I have her address. It is very hard to come by! You can also phone her, she is very nice lady...

Lush

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Greg said:
Its a nice idea but if you are going to go to these lengths you might aswell get a lghtweight one / two man tent!

It's just the way the tarp is setup, no real difference.

Tent has no seat - a hammock is a seat
Tent is not as comfy as a hammock.
Tent doesn't have the view.
Tent is a lot heavier and slower to setup.
Tent needs pegs and a flat space to pitch.

Nick :)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Lush said:
Kathmandu Trekking made me a tarp. It's 2,5 x 2,5. She still makes them. Wendy is her name. I got mine like 8 months ago. Very lightweight. VERY good price. For a little extra $ she makes you a few extra loops. You can specify what you want.

Thanks, but too small.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Squidders said:
As for the 4m x 4m tarp or bigger... not for me!!! 4m x 3m is massive and has afforded me some great protection from the elements... I even get myself and my girlfriend hammocking under the 1 tarp. I like to look out on my environment so the total enclosure/isolation really doesn't appeal.

I wanted one side 60ish degs for protection then the other half just off horizontal for view/space/standup room.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
MagiKelly said:
For one person and hammock I would recommend a 3 x 4m tarp for the best weather protection and maximum flexibility. In saying that I have used a 3 x 3 tatonka in some really wild conditions and never got wet yet.

Been browsing the tatonka tarp posts here, found a few leaky problems as well.
Leaky tatonka tarps

I have a Tatonka '98 holdall which has withstood a lot of punishment.
When I worked for PGL we had monster tarps with good corner re-inforced eyelets and you could sleep 8 under it. :D

Nick

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's just the way the tarp is setup, no real difference.

Tent has no seat - a hammock is a seat
Tent is not as comfy as a hammock.
Tent doesn't have the view.
Tent is a lot heavier and slower to setup.
Tent needs pegs and a flat space to pitch.

Nick :)

Tent does have a seat, its called earth
Tent is comfy, use a thermarest or whatever
Tent does have a view, leave the door open
Tent is heavy and slow to pitch, oops, sorry, no, my Golite will pitch as fast (if not faster and has done so) than a tarp/hammock
Tent needs pegs, use stones, flat is nice, some slope is OK, how do you pitch your hammock/tarp without trees?

I would bet my Hex 3, Thermarest and sleeping bag is as light if not lighter, as many a tarp/hammock setup; I read in amazement how some of you guys carry a tarp, hammock, underblanket, sleeping bag (and sometimes a thermarest as well), bloody hell, thats a lot of weight to cart around chaps ;)

Tarps and hammocks are great, but don't just ignore the tent option, looking back at last years moot, the tree hangers were well in the minority

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
rik_uk3 said:
.....I read in amazement how some of you guys carry a tarp, hammock, underblanket, sleeping bag (and sometimes a thermarest as well), bloody hell, thats a lot of weight to cart around chaps ;)
You forgot the midgie net.
Never forget the midgie net. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE